• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    It's actually an add-on charge to use a plus-ten mag in the commission of a crime.

If you shoot a burglar with your standard mag Glock, and some over zealous prosecutor decides to charge you, I think they could apply the add on charge.

Not that it would matter.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    So what gives the government or ATF to define what number substantiates hi capacity. Is there a dividing like 8 rounds is low capacity but nine rounds is hi. I am tired of them azzes insulting me . In Maryland you cant sell or buy as the returds call hi capacity but you can own them. Several years ago I was buying the mags from some of the major distributors as parts. They simply would take the mags apart and put into a zip lock baggie. Now it is supposedly stopped and don't know how. In pieces it is pieces and parts so how can they decipher that. I very simply take a nice ride one Saturday to visit friends in PA. I just so happen see a gun shop like Cabelas or Gander mountain on the way back. Problem solved.

You must be new around here. It's been complained, pondered and philosophied to death in the past

Chat-Bot

Disinformation Governor
    Oct 17, 2020
    под скалой
    It's actually an add-on charge to use a plus-ten mag in the commission of a crime.

If you shoot a burglar with your standard mag Glock, and some over zealous prosecutor decides to charge you, I think they could apply the add on charge.

Using a weapon with a magazine holding more than 10 rounds held against you if you were legally defending yourself? Maybe if you pumped someone with 15 rounds?

Cold Steel

Sep 26, 2006
    Bethesda, MD

Yes, the tyrants in Annapolis don't want anyone to have hi-cap magazines, and they should have stipulated whether the hi-caps were used in the commission of a crime. Why? Because any idiot can obtain one or more, or two, they can manufacture such magazines. An add-on law can still be used to charge someone in a crime.

Not likely, unless it can be proven that you bought the magazine after the grandfather date. If you have a Glock with a 30-round clip, the prosecution would have to prove that you obtained it after the grandfather date. How could it do that? If the prosecution could prove that the magazine was manufactured after that date, it could go after you. But if not, it would have to prove you purchased the magazine after the date the ban went into effect. Indeed, most, if not all, online retailers will refuse to sell you said magazines or ship them to you.

Yes. An armed intruder shot four times with a 9mm would not be able to tell how many rounds the magazine in the homeowner's gun held.

The greatest tragedy of all is a homeowner with a fat-handed Glock or S&W 659/5906 that could only take ten rounds! I have a S&W 3906 (wish it were a 639) with a 9-shot magazine. I don't know why Mecgar doesn't make a 10-shot, but it doesn't. A 659/5906 in Maryland can only be sold with a 10-round clip, which is a waste because it's made to take a staggered magazine. The 659 was the standard gun in Quinton Tarantino's RESERVOIR DOGS. The bad guys all wore the same suits and carried 659s.

Last edited:

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    The point is, whether or not it's a crime to shoot a burglar is something determined after the fact. In Maryland you could conceivably be charged with a crime, and they could pile on the add-on, not because your possession of the magazine was illegal, but because they're claiming that shooting the burglar was illegal.

It would only stick if you were in fact convicted of shooting the burglar, in which case, it would be the least of your worries.

johnkn

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2012
    If you have a Glock with a 30-round clip,

A 659/5906 in Maryland can only be sold with a 10-round clip.

Any time I read a comment like this I immediately discount its contents as worthless and just stop reading....

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    I'm really tired of twisting myself in knots to comply with ridiculous and unconstitutional laws. Where is the moral imperative that forces me to drive to Hanover, PA to gift a magazine to a friend when doing so in Manchester, MD is somehow evil or unethical. Bulldookie. I respectfully withdraw from this game.

Chat-Bot

Disinformation Governor
    Oct 17, 2020
    под скалой
    Capacity limits mods must be permanent..i.e. not reversed by simple parts changes. That is why limited cap mags are crimped or effectively shortened in the stack section of the mag.

There are LGSes selling pistols with jerry-rigged mags to conform to the 10 count. I had one where I couldn't get the 10th round in, even with an UpLULA.

There is no "grandfathered" date clause of when one legally obtained a +10 round magazine, or even +20 or +30. As long as it was obtained outside of Maryland you can still own and use in state.

If they are determined to be "family" assets for shared use, then no need of transferring out of state.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I get all that. It seems the post I was referring to is gone. Didn’t want to see anyone having issues over mag capacity limiting. Especially using rolled up cardboard in the bottom of the mag.

Cold Steel

Sep 26, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    According to one anti-gun organization linking gun rights to white supremist movements, Maryland's laws restricting hi-capacity magazines has only encouraged criminals to use them in commissions of crimes.

"The intent of the law was to curb supplies of so-called high-capacity magazines in places like Baltimore, where at least 189 people died that year in shootings," wrote Brian Freskos in a March 2017 article in The Trace, stating "Baltimore Police Are Recovering More Guns Loaded With High-Capacity Magazines, Despite Ban on Sales."

The piece actually admits the law has had had the opposite effect.

"So far, the ban has done little to stamp out the use of big magazines by criminals," an analysis of law enforcement records by The Trace found. "Baltimore police confiscated nearly 450 guns last year with enough room in the magazine to carry at least 11 rounds — high-capacity, as defined by the state — more than during any period in at least the last seven years."

Twenty-two percent of all recovered firearms were equipped with high-capacity magazines, a 4 percentage point increase over 2013, the year the ban was adopted, the article reports. In fact, Baltimore police say larger magazines have surged in popularity among criminals because they can squeeze off more shots without reloading — and increase their odds of a kill. Seemingly, criminals can read too, and when the hi-capacity ban was implemented, criminals likely got the message that these magazines might be the hot setup.

"High-capacity magazines have been a point of fiery contention for decades," Fresko wrote. "Opponents of magazine limits argue that having more bullets between reloads enhances self-defense. Supporters of tougher rules, meanwhile, contend that when shooters can rattle off more shots, their attacks are likely to be more lethal, and that the reloading period offers a crucial window in which bystanders or police officers can intervene." However, he fails to explain the failure of the hi-capacity ban to actually work.

"Some gun owners purchase large magazines for their firearms, but they also come standard with many popular semiautomatic pistols — the Glock 17, for example, comes shipped from the factory with a capacity of 17 rounds," he writes. He also fails to address the fact that these magazines can be easily manufactured and standard magazines altered to accept more than ten rounds.

"The Trace found that between 2010 and 2016, nearly 82 percent — 2,100 — of the high-capacity magazines confiscated by Baltimore police were loaded in pistols," the article notes. "The majority of the handguns accepted 9mm or .40-caliber ammunition."

The anti-gun organizations have been quick to link firearms ownership with white supremacists, adding their age-old tactic of arguing that the reason current laws aren't working is because stiffer laws are needed. And most call on pro-gun groups like the NRA to compromise and support "common sense" gun control laws that limit firearms ownership to "hunting" firearms.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    so where do they fit firearms relative to the armed black gangs armed with illegally obtained firearms? They are hushing black supremist groups that are forming? Oh, they have political support. A firearm is an object as we all know. Sounds like a lawsuit against the antigun groups are in order.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Capacity limits mods must be permanent..i.e. not reversed by simple parts changes. That is why limited cap mags are crimped or effectively shortened in the stack section of the mag.

No, it is because manufacturers want to make a one size fits all.

Which is why they have magazine of whatever size will fit in the gun, and then a 10 round. Some state laws specify that a magazine may not be readily convertible to have a capacity more than 10 rounds.

Some state laws that limit capacity just say 10 rounds.

Maryland law simply states "A person may not manufacture, sell, offer for sale, purchase, receive, or transfer a detachable magazine that has a capacity of more than 10rounds of ammunition for a firearm"

There is NO provision in law that states it cannot be readily converted.

You drop a stick in the magazine and put the baseplate back on and you can't squeeze more than 10 rounds in there, well the magazine has a capacity limit of 10. You are done. Doesn't matter if you can undo it in 10 seconds. If you did, you'd be manufacturing a magazine that can hold more than 10 rounds.

CA, MA and at least a couple more (CT and NJ?) required that the magazine cannot be readily converted. So only factory 10 round magazines are going to be legal, or someone is going to have to rivet the magazine body or insert a mag block and epoxy the baseplate on. those would be considered permanently blocked.

JMB

Jan 30, 2019
    Standard vs “High Capacity”

When I bought my G17 Blue Label in MD the dealer replaced the standard magazines that came with it with neutered magazines of the 10 round variety. I went to Va and bought standard versions. Doing that made the overall purchase of the G17 more than it cost under the Blue Label program. But that’s another issue. I’ve since acquired several more via the internet having them shipped to a Va address.

I also had two shipped to Vermont where I’m retiring prior to their 15 round limit went into effect. I’m planning to keep all of my standard capacity magazines once I move north.

But the whole issue is stupid.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    No, it is because manufacturers want to make a one size fits all.

Which is why they have magazine of whatever size will fit in the gun, and then a 10 round. Some state laws specify that a magazine may not be readily convertible to have a capacity more than 10 rounds.

Some state laws that limit capacity just say 10 rounds.

Maryland law simply states "A person may not manufacture, sell, offer for sale, purchase, receive, or transfer a detachable magazine that has a capacity of more than 10rounds of ammunition for a firearm"

There is NO provision in law that states it cannot be readily converted.

You drop a stick in the magazine and put the baseplate back on and you can't squeeze more than 10 rounds in there, well the magazine has a capacity limit of 10. You are done. Doesn't matter if you can undo it in 10 seconds. If you did, you'd be manufacturing a magazine that can hold more than 10 rounds.

CA, MA and at least a couple more (CT and NJ?) required that the magazine cannot be readily converted. So only factory 10 round magazines are going to be legal, or someone is going to have to rivet the magazine body or insert a mag block and epoxy the baseplate on. those would be considered permanently blocked.

MSP has stated that mags sold with a firearm must permanently restricted to 10 rounds. Dowel rod won’t do that. They put out an advisory to FFLs I believe
    They are quite fond of pulling stuff out of their ass

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sickpuppyz

your mom sends me care packages
    Jun 14, 2020
    MoCo
    For those without an address in another state, just a rent a mailbox at UPS store in VA or W. VA. Then purchase online and ship there. go pick up. enjoy! Of course, you need to ensure the UPS store will accept "gun parts". The stores are individually owned and not part of UPS so they have latitude as to what they will ship and accept which may differ from UPS policy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom