• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/chris...trol_b_2638658.html?utm_hp_ref=crime&ir=Crime

Boy genius professor of economics, the kind that looses money apparently , proposes ban on all guns that are actually useful, but says existing guns will be bought back from owners using revenue raised by taxing the ammo that these same gun owners would buy to use in the guns they will now sell to get back to the government to get back the money that they paid in taxes for the ammo they can no longer use in the guns they just sold. Normally I need to try harder to achieve this level of perfect self parody, but that is only because I consider economics to be a mental health problem, and avoid making fun of it out of respect for the mentally ill.

I profusely apologize to the criminally insane for the insinuation that they may, in fact , be closeted economists.

Those who may wonder why anyone would want to participate in such a circular firing squad will be happy to know that he is willing to study this issue in order to find out. When he does I am sure he will tell us. Until then feel free to assume that the good professor has no idea. Lucky for us we are not bright enough to understand, and thus in our ignorance we will KEEP OUR GOD DAMN GUNS. We will also " DEFEND THE CONSTITUTION".

Thank you for playing, professor.

Shutterbug

Have camera, will travel!
    Nov 24, 2012
    AACo
    On first (and second and third) reads, it doesn't make sense either, but the plan he's proposing is similar to the pollution credits system. It's not a total buy back, but rather a cap on the total number of firearms in circulation. Those who have no need for the firearms (or pollution credits) will sell them back. Difference is that pollution credits can be traded relatively freely between businesses.

Not saying its a good thing, but just trying to explain the reasoning behind the guy's plan.

molonlabe

Ultimate Member
    May 7, 2005
    Mountaineer Country, WV
    Anything I read in the huffington post usually causes me to vomit.
    addon.php

Dirichlet

Jan 3, 2013
    I tried posting this comment - let's see if it passes "review"

From one PhD to another, your degree should be revoked. First, this issue isn't about "enjoyment" of owning a firearm nor is it about hunting. It is about a fundamental, inalienable right which SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED. Second, your proposed taxes are moronic, at best. You propose to tax the the ammunition and the guns so that you can buy back the guns whose ammunition you are taxing so you can buy back the... what?? Have you ever heard of circular logic? Also, your proposal to increase the tax on owning a gun on a yearly basis will do what, exactly? Oh, yes, I know - it will allow those with means to own firearms while those of a lower socioeconomic status would be denied that right; otherwise known as disenfranchisement of the poor. Congrats, professor, you're a douche... If you would like to actually educate yourself on the topic (which it's clear you haven't), please read the following article http://www.thepolemicist.net/2013/01/the-rifle-on-wall-left-argument-for-gun.html

MontaniSemperLiberi

MD Survivor
    Nov 12, 2011
    West By'God Virginia

From one PhD to another, your degree should be revoked. First, this issue isn't about "enjoyment" of owning a firearm nor is it about hunting. It is about a fundamental, inalienable right which SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED. Second, your proposed taxes are moronic, at best. You propose to tax the the ammunition and the guns so that you can buy back the guns whose ammunition you are taxing so you can buy back the... what?? Have you ever heard of circular logic? Also, your proposal to increase the tax on owning a gun on a yearly basis will do what, exactly? Oh, yes, I know - it will allow those with means to own firearms while those of a lower socioeconomic status would be denied that right; otherwise known as disenfranchisement of the poor. Congrats, professor, you're a douche... If you would like to actually educate yourself on the topic (which it's clear you haven't), please read the following article http://www.thepolemicist.net/2013/01/the-rifle-on-wall-left-argument-for-gun.html

He's got a long list of douchedom on his resume... Unfortunately, the attitude is rife throughout higher education for anyone with anything higher than a bachelors, and especially at a number of institutions. It creates quite a schism that is only made worse by their insistence to only associate with like-minded AND educated individuals. :deadhorse:

Sounds like he needs to stay out of grown ups buisness , he's book smart ,, but socially mentally challenged .....I've had enough of this shit with these antis ... Print my address in the paper and have a contest to see which one of them can come take my shit first ... Let the games begin !!! Come take it !!!!!

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    Some economist he is...."$200 year 1, $300 yr 2, etc". If you REALLY wanted to disarm people quickly, you'd offer the higher amount right up front, and diminish the amount as time went on. THAT actually would make sense economically.

What a maroon.

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/chris...trol_b_2638658.html?utm_hp_ref=crime&ir=Crime

Boy genius professor of economics, the kind that looses money apparently , proposes ban on all guns that are actually useful, but says existing guns will be bought back from owners using revenue raised by taxing the ammo that these same gun owners would buy to use in the guns they will now sell to get back to the government to get back the money that they paid in taxes for the ammo they can no longer use in the guns they just sold. Normally I need to try harder to achieve this level of perfect self parody, but that is only because I consider economics to be a mental health problem, and avoid making fun of it out of respect for the mentally ill.

I profusely apologize to the criminally insane for the insinuation that they may, in fact , be closeted economists.

Those who may wonder why anyone would want to participate in such a circular firing squad will be happy to know that he is willing to study this issue in order to find out. When he does I am sure he will tell us. Until then feel free to assume that the good professor has no idea. Lucky for us we are not bright enough to understand, and thus in our ignorance we will KEEP OUR GOD DAMN GUNS. We will also " DEFEND THE CONSTITUTION".

Thank you for playing, professor.

Just to clarify this is rule 5

I understand what he is saying..
    He is proposing to buy our guns with our own money.

I also understand that there will be a stratification effect whereby those who hold out will be paying to buy the guns of others and receive nothing in return. It is highly regressive poll tax type system.
    Now the point of rule 5 is ridicule not exposition.

That is how we win in public mind.

Now one of the issues here is that anyone who can say " school of management" without chortling uncontrollably is totally devoid of ironic sensibility.
    You see for those in the know, a school is were you learn things, and management is where knowledge goes to die.
    All kidding aside the good professor may have been quite brilliant before he was struck down in his prime.
    Rule 5

I did not waste time with the constitutional idiocy because its old ground and DOA in regards to heller .

matt1

Feb 5, 2013
    anne arundel county md

+1

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Well, all I had to know about that article was the fact that it was posted under the the banner "CRIME".

Why does anyone read the Huffing Glue Post?

Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County
    Intelligence

a (1) : the ability to learn or understand or to deal with new or trying situations : reason; also : the skilled use of reason (2) : the ability to apply knowledge to manipulate one's environment or to think abstractly as measured by objective criteria (as tests)

Wisdom
    a : accumulated philosophic or scientific learning : knowledge
    b : ability to discern inner qualities and relationships : insight
    c : good sense : judgment
    d : generally accepted belief <challenges what has become accepted wisdom among many historians — Robert Darnton>
    : a wise attitude, belief, or course of action
    : the teachings of the ancient wise men

Book smart ... life stupid :sad20:

gmhowell

Not Banned Yet
    Nov 28, 2011
    Monkey County
    Some economist he is...."$200 year 1, $300 yr 2, etc". If you REALLY wanted to disarm people quickly, you'd offer the higher amount right up front, and diminish the amount as time went on. THAT actually would make sense economically.

What a maroon.

Uh, what? Why would the government start bids high an move lower? How does that make sense economically? If someone doesn't turn in a gun in 2014 for $300, why would they do it in 2015 for $200 or 2016 for $100?

I also think those of you screaming 'molon labe' are forgetting that lots of people turn in guns for free. The way this works (and it could) is that all of us buy ammo (or powders and primers) that can be taxes heavily, or the gun tax/license he proposes. That money then goes to buy granddad's WWII pistol, Taqwon's Hi Point, or empty AT-4 tubes.

Don't let your emotions cloud your judgment.

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Uh, what? Why would the government start bids high an move lower? How does that make sense economically? If someone doesn't turn in a gun in 2014 for $300, why would they do it in 2015 for $200 or 2016 for $100?

I also think those of you screaming 'molon labe' are forgetting that lots of people turn in guns for free. The way this works (and it could) is that all of us buy ammo (or powders and primers) that can be taxes heavily, or the gun tax/license he proposes. That money then goes to buy granddad's WWII pistol, Taqwon's Hi Point, or empty AT-4 tubes.

Don't let your emotions cloud your judgment.

Look rule 5.. ridicule not Reformation.

They don't need us defending their ideas.. really they can do that themselves....

Please, if you can' t say anything snarky don't say anything :)

That's the point of rule 5 of rules for radicals.
    We must win. We must learn how to play the game we are in not the game we would like to be in.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rules_for_Radicals#section_3

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    I apologize to everyone if this douchewaffle has aspergers. Doesn't quite fit though, logical thinking and questioning the shit out of everything ( beginning with "why are those other kids mean to me?") seems to be a trait of my tribe. But there are always some, so sheltered and so coddled, they never see the real world.

gmhowell

Not Banned Yet
    Nov 28, 2011
    Monkey County
    Look rule 5.. ridicule not Reformation.

They don't need us defending their ideas.. really they can do that themselves....

Please, if you can' t say anything snarky don't say anything :)

That's the point of rule 5 of rules for radicals.
    We must win. We must learn how to play the game we are in not the game we would like to be in.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rules_for_Radicals#section_3

Wah! Wah! Mommy, the bad man asked me to explain myself and I lack the intellectual capability to do so. Is it okay if I accuse him of being an Obama supporting liberal fifth columnist?

Why would a NT individual when asked for edification react in such a way as to turn off the person seeking information? It's behaviour like that that turns off fence sitters.

Besides, calling someone a disciple of Alinsky on MDS is so six months ago. Try to find a new slur.

I apologize to everyone if this douchewaffle has aspergers. Doesn't quite fit though, logical thinking and questioning the shit out of everything ( beginning with "why are those other kids mean to me?") seems to be a trait of my tribe. But there are always some, so sheltered and so coddled, they never see the real world.

They certainly give a bad name to the multitude of people I have run across with Asperger's (given that I work in IT, I seem to know my fair share). Most of them, while a bit quirky, are downright decent people.

Sorry you have to get lumped in with the CWC's of the world.

Oct 27, 2008
    Dundalk, Hon!
    Hell, I once scored 30 on a test for Asperger's where a "normal" adult male usually scores 18. It doesn't affect me at... hey, look, pics of cute kittens...

When I hear someone touting the benefits of an education, I'm usually tempted to tell them I've met idiots with PhDs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom