• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    I'm probably done with gun purchases for the year. Here are the four guns I bought in 2012 that I still have. As a poor college student, I took a second job at minimum wage for 10-30 additional hours a week in order to be able to afford these. Totally worth it.

P1010003-1.jpg

1. May 1943 Service Grade M1 from the CMP. This was handpicked and has a GI walnut stock.
    2. Dec 1943 Service Grade M1 fromt he CMP. This was mail ordered and has a GI birch stock from the 60's with the Letterkenny Arsenal ink stamp, matching the LEAD rebuild stamp on the receiver.
    3. Chinese SKS I got in a trade from a friend.
    4. Howa made M1 Carbine for the Royal Thai Police.

Not pictured (sold or traded) are a Pietta Remington 1858 revolver, Finn marked Westinghouse M91 Mosin that I got for $65, and a M24/47 Yugo Mauser I got for $100.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I don't need an SKS, I'm jealous of the other three pictured.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    I don't need an SKS, I'm jealous of the other three pictured.

Thanks. I didn't really want it either. I only got it because my parents trained with them back in China, since military training was mandatory for students. I did bring my dad with me to the range to try it. He still remembered its manual of arms. I don't shoot it or the Carbine much, even though I have a crap ton of 7.62x39 ammo (all the more reason to get an AK when It turn 21).

I do shoot the Garands every weekend. I'm president of the Rifle & Pistol Club on campus and that is my excuse, as well as it being addicting as crap.

CroftonBilly

Huge Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 26, 2011
    Crofton
    Well done Ken! The Garands look great. Good on you for working the extra effort for what you wanted... A concept unfortunately lost on so many people.

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    Great pickups for 2012 especially the Letterkenny rebuild, enjoy them. Nothing better than a Garand except 2 Garands.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    We all have the same 24 hours in a day. Might as well have spent some of that past time reaching a goal. Congrats. Those are all beauties! :thumbsup:

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    I love the Finn Westinghouse for $65! Gotta post some photos of it as well. Looks like you made the best of your hard work. Good job!

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    Very nice group you've got there:thumbsup: My M1 is my favorite rifle. Be sure to get it an M1911 companion when you turn 21

I was a poor college student up until this summer, so I know the feeling. Now I'm just poor, but with a degree and a nice gun collection.:D

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Well done Ken! The Garands look great. Good on you for working the extra effort for what you wanted... A concept unfortunately lost on so many people.

Thank you everyone for your kind words!

My university gun club is full of like minded people. We all pay our own way since we do not accept nor do we ask for any SGA funding. I even wrote into the club constitution that members are expected to be able to pay their own way if they wish to participate.

I love the Finn Westinghouse for $65! Gotta post some photos of it as well. Looks like you made the best of your hard work. Good job!

Here you go. I got rid of it because it was inaccurate as crap and I got offered a Chinese SKS. I traded it with about 800 rounds of ammo. As you can see, it's got the AH Fox Arms subcontracted receiver.

P1010001.jpg

P1010005.jpg

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan

My university gun club is full of like minded people. We all pay our own way since we do not accept nor do we ask for any SGA funding. I even wrote into the club constitution that members are expected to be able to pay their own way if they wish to participate.

Here you go. I got rid of it because it was inaccurate as crap and I got offered a Chinese SKS. I traded it with about 800 rounds of ammo. As you can see, it's got the AH Fox Arms subcontracted receiver.

Very nice Garands. :thumbsup:

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    Thanks. I didn't really want it either. I only got it because my parents trained with them back in China, since military training was mandatory for students. I did bring my dad with me to the range to try it. He still remembered its manual of arms. I don't shoot it or the Carbine much, even though I have a crap ton of 7.62x39 ammo (all the more reason to get an AK when It turn 21).

I do shoot the Garands every weekend. I'm president of the Rifle & Pistol Club on campus and that is my excuse, as well as it being addicting as crap.

if you don't want the Chicom SKS I'll take it off your hands

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    Next time you want to rid yourself of a Finn-hit me up. I'll make it worth your while :D
    That rifle was worth more than a Chinese SKS ;)

P1010001.jpg

P1010005.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ObsidianCC

Latest threads

Top Bottom