• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Im sure other have deer blinds this is the first one Ive built....so here is my Deer stand project 95% complete...ladder stand at the end is where I will be hunting out of as well. Wife and step daughter are going to be in the deer blind.

Attachments

• Deer blind 1.jpg
      Deer blind 1.jpg
      149 KB · Views: 650
    • deer blind 2.JPG
      deer blind 2.JPG
      127.7 KB · Views: 692
    • deer blind 3.JPG
      deer blind 3.JPG
      131 KB · Views: 635
    • ladder stand.jpg
      ladder stand.jpg
      135.8 KB · Views: 633

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    I'm looking to build a box stand, where did you the plans and total $ in it?

Its kind of a hybrid...I modded the plans---made it 4x8 widened the door to 24 inches and opened the windows more. This was a lot of scavenged lumber so it didn't cost me much. I paid for the treated 4x4's, 2x2's, brackets. I'm guessing right around $500 if you had all new lumber, that's the variable for me.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/24088566/Trophy-Deer-Stand-Plans-4x6

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    Nice build Wil. I sure hope you don't move much in that thing with all that wide open window space you have there. Fill those window spaces in from the top by half and I'd use it. My ground blinds are hidden so well Humans don't know they are there. What I mean is cut some tree branches and pine branches and tack them to the sides from the roof. The branches will blend the box and you. My shooting windows are 12" square and that's almost too much.

I did add camo burlap to my windows so I can "close" them, but, still be able to see out of them. I came back to add two pictures I took Thursday to show how the windows look in my blind and how it all looks concealed with branches. My apologies for the huge photos these were taken directly from cell phone to this thread. The third photo is to show how wide the FOV is from such a small window. Even though the windows are only 12" square I am still somewhat uncomfortable with the square foot size, but, it does require no more than 12" wide and 6" tall to shoot clean with a scoped gun.

This blind is one of 4 I have on the edge of the fields at the farm, but, I also have no background light to silhouette my movements. It's not just the frontal motions you have to hide, but those big windows leave a lot of room for background motion in your box. Tree branches, camo burlap, smaller slotted shooting windows... all big advantages. I would not hesitate to hinge all 4 side windows and make them able to to be opened and closed. My uncle has a box blind that has 4 small sliding glass windows and he also has a heater in that rascal. Stay warm and then when a Deer comes in to sight, slide the window open to shoot. No rain. No Snow. Same reason I have a waterproof roof on my ground blinds LOL

Attachments

• ground blind roof 1.jpg
      ground blind roof 1.jpg
      158.5 KB · Views: 562
    • ground blind roof camo 3.jpg
      ground blind roof camo 3.jpg
      158.5 KB · Views: 548
    • deer blind.jpg
      deer blind.jpg
      34.1 KB · Views: 543

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    Thanks! yeah I figure some type of netting on the door side and maybe screen on the long side and sides. I also have to put some plywood window covers and ladder and paint the inside...

I'm sorry this just caught my funny bone Wil. I'd suggest a nice camo patterned wallpaper ? Just cover the interior up with pictures of Bucks, Playboy calenders and centerfolds. Solar powdered TV, Radio, Bed. Heck you can live in that box man.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    I'm sorry this just caught my funny bone Wil. I'd suggest a nice camo patterned wallpaper ? Just cover the interior up with pictures of Bucks, Playboy calenders and centerfolds. Solar powdered TV, Radio, Bed. Heck you can live in that box man.

I'm seeing tapestry in a lovely mauve. I will give it that homey feel..:lol2:

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    I'm seeing tapestry in a lovely mauve. I will give it that homey feel..:lol2:

Dang I thought it said Horney at first. Shoo-wee...

Well I had thought about mentioning a delightful faux finish in similar pastels with popcorn texture, but, I'm not sure how involved Wil wants to get. I simply opted for a twin size bed sheet in brown on the interior of my blind walls. It seemed very fitting... I'm sure by the time Wil is done it will have two or three shades of camo applied with a damp sponge technique. As in this fine example CLICK HERE

Wil says, SoMDShooter and Sundazes, Please report to the head of the unfriend line for your pink slips.

jpo183

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    in Maryland
    Nice build Wil. I sure hope you don't move much in that thing with all that wide open window space you have there. Fill those window spaces in from the top by half and I'd use it. My ground blinds are hidden so well Humans don't know they are there. What I mean is cut some tree branches and pine branches and tack them to the sides from the roof. The branches will blend the box and you. My shooting windows are 12" square and that's almost too much.

I did add camo burlap to my windows so I can "close" them, but, still be able to see out of them. I came back to add two pictures I took Thursday to show how the windows look in my blind and how it all looks concealed with branches. My apologies for the huge photos these were taken directly from cell phone to this thread. The third photo is to show how wide the FOV is from such a small window. Even though the windows are only 12" square I am still somewhat uncomfortable with the square foot size, but, it does require no more than 12" wide and 6" tall to shoot clean with a scoped gun.

This blind is one of 4 I have on the edge of the fields at the farm, but, I also have no background light to silhouette my movements. It's not just the frontal motions you have to hide, but those big windows leave a lot of room for background motion in your box. Tree branches, camo burlap, smaller slotted shooting windows... all big advantages. I would not hesitate to hinge all 4 side windows and make them able to to be opened and closed. My uncle has a box blind that has 4 small sliding glass windows and he also has a heater in that rascal. Stay warm and then when a Deer comes in to sight, slide the window open to shoot. No rain. No Snow. Same reason I have a waterproof roof on my ground blinds LOL

somd that is awesome

huesmann

n00b
    Mar 23, 2012
    Silver Spring, MD
    Painting the interior does have a practical purpose. The damn thing is outdoors, so it's gonna get wet. Paint does provide water protection for wood, and given that part of the thing appears to be plywood, a little water protection sounds like a good idea...

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    That's a decent blind Somdshoot! I wanted to make the windows smaller about 12" or so but this is going to be for the wife and step-daughter to shoot something out of and she wanted more view:sad20:...so not a man blind...lol I am going to get some burlap or camo net to put in...and hinge the windows. The outside has exterior paint to help with the water repelling. the floor is also painted inside. we just haven't got around to painting it yet. It was put up Friday. I have the door to put on and stairs to put in. and Im going to put an earth cable to keep it from possibly tipping over...if it settles.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    Painting the interior does have a practical purpose. The damn thing is outdoors, so it's gonna get wet. Paint does provide water protection for wood, and given that part of the thing appears to be plywood, a little water protection sounds like a good idea...

I have no issues with painting the inside of it. Don't take what I am saying the wrong way. The joke was made about the "wallpaper" we're not overly concerned with interior aesthetics or wood preservation. Personally instead of paint I'd go with a thompsons water seal. After all it is plywood.

Thompson's also come in tinted colors now, so, it appears as though Natural Cedar, Honey Gold, Nutmeg Brown, Rustic Red, or Desert Brown are the publicly available options, HOWEVER, if you contact them they may be able to whip you up some Hunter Mauve...

DO NOT USE THE HONEY GOLD IT LOOKS LIKE PEANUT BUTTER. I used it on my two decks and when it dried I was pissed.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    That's a decent blind Somdshoot! I wanted to make the windows smaller about 12" or so but this is going to be for the wife and step-daughter to shoot something out of and she wanted more view:sad20:...so not a man blind...lol I am going to get some burlap or camo net to put in...and hinge the windows. The outside has exterior paint to help with the water repelling. the floor is also painted inside. we just haven't got around to painting it yet. It was put up Friday. I have the door to put on and stairs to put in. and Im going to put an earth cable to keep it from possibly tipping over...if it settles.

One thing I would suggest is to put some concrete blocks under those 4 stilt legs. Both to keep it from sinking in the ground and second to keep the legs from rotting out. Even if you use a couple of squares of 2 x 6 or 2 x 8 boards and just toe-nail the feet to the legs it will prevent hoof rot on your stilts and also prevent your legs from sinking in the ground making your blinds "level" catawampus and falling over.

My ground blind is composed of two hinged panel sections that are held together by hook & eye sets so I can make that square ground blind in to two individual "V" shaped blinds. I also have triangle shaped roof panels in the event it rains and I need waterproof covering for the dual panel blinds. The blind in the photo is not a solid structure but simple two separate blinds hooked together with a flip up removable waterproof roof. As seen in this MDS thread HERE Now enough of me, back to you.

TTMD

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2012
    Some great ideas in this thread, glad I found it. I like the build-it-yourself approach.

So with apologies to the OP for this slight detour in his thread, but I have a quick question. I've seen references to WTT & WTB blinds, but can't find what those acronyms mean. Anyone know what those stand for?

Thanks. I'm not new to guns, but I haven't hunted since I was a kid growing up in Texas & Oklahoma, and things have changed a lot since then.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head

That's the basic idea, but, the problem with those foundation blocks is you have to seal them. If you get water in there in the Winter they have a tendency crack wide open. These blocks are no longer allowed by code.

A simple square patio paver block of 8" + square is more than enough.

A good heavy couple coats of thompson's water seat on the feet and lower legs is probably enough, but, the object is of course to keep it from rotting and keep it from sinking.

The biggest issue with those legs is going to be the cracking, splitting, and warping from todays cheap "treated" lumber. Give it a few months and those legs will pop open with large cracks. It's inevitable.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Some great ideas in this thread, glad I found it. I like the build-it-yourself approach.

So with apologies to the OP for this slight detour in his thread, but I have a quick question. I've seen references to WTT & WTB blinds, but can't find what those acronyms mean. Anyone know what those stand for?

Thanks. I'm not new to guns, but I haven't hunted since I was a kid growing up in Texas & Oklahoma, and things have changed a lot since then.

Hunting hasn't changed much...the deer have gotten smarter and the hunting industry has gotten bigger...trying to get your money..lol

I think it means Want to Trade (WTT)...want to buy(WTB)...but I could be wrong..

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    One thing I would suggest is to put some concrete blocks under those 4 stilt legs. Both to keep it from sinking in the ground and second to keep the legs from rotting out. Even if you use a couple of squares of 2 x 6 or 2 x 8 boards and just toe-nail the feet to the legs it will prevent hoof rot on your stilts and also prevent your legs from sinking in the ground making your blinds "level" catawampus and falling over.

My ground blind is composed of two hinged panel sections that are held together by hook & eye sets so I can make that square ground blind in to two individual "V" shaped blinds. I also have triangle shaped roof panels in the event it rains and I need waterproof covering for the dual panel blinds. The blind in the photo is not a solid structure but simple two separate blinds hooked together with a flip up removable waterproof roof. As seen in this MDS thread HERE Now enough of me, back to you.

I like the paver block idea I had some post supports but we kinda rushed putting in up. since I had help for only a few hours I had to make the best of it. I'll see if I can get something underneath the posts...hopefully I don't tip it over trying lol.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head

If you have access to something besides public land, just build your on blinds, commercial blinds are made out of rip-stop nylon and they are noisy and flimsy and unless you have a spot that is cleared and dead level flat you'll never get that thing to set properly. A buddy of mine has a nice big pop-up that's about 6 foot square and I have seen it in action and be inside of it and there's no draw for me to want to own one of those things. The wind blows the whole damn contraption rocks around and wants to blow away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jtlambo

Latest threads

Top Bottom