• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RFBfromDE

W&C MD, UT, PA
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 21, 2022
    The Land of Pleasant Living
    I plan on shooting my Mark II and 10/22 more regularly.

I have yet to see a video or discussion leading me to believe that there is any reliable expansion or benefit to HP in .22LR.

Yet seemingly, more than half of available choices deploy a HP of some kind that turns already finicky semi-autos into jam-o-matics.

I’ve always used a copper coated round nose.

What am I missing?

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    Not missing much for target shooting. For hunting purposes in a rifle, I've found that they do make a difference in a hypervelocity round (e.g. upper end Winchester Super-X and CCI Velocitor - in the 1,400 FPS range) depending on the species. Squirrel, no different than round nose, IME. More difference in larger species... rabbits (and groundhogs).

RFBfromDE

W&C MD, UT, PA
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 21, 2022
    Not missing much for target shooting. For hunting purposes in a rifle, I've found that they do make a difference in a hypervelocity round (e.g. upper end Winchester Super-X and CCI Velocitor - in the 1,400 FPS range) depending on the species. Squirrel, no different than round nose, IME. More difference in larger species... rabbits (and groundhogs).
    At least they don’t cost A LOT more like center fire ammo. Squirrel is my most likely scavenger game.

Are you putting head shots on them critters? Follow up shots are not a high priority, but yeah, paper punching makes misfeeds a PITA!

It’s not like I’m worried about over penetration in the woods, no?

Chat-Bot

Disinformation Governor
    Oct 17, 2020
    под скалой
    Because you can take down small dinosaurs with them.

CC_47_22LRVelocitorCPHPSmallGame_Combo_R.jpg

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    At least they don’t cost A LOT more like center fire ammo. Squirrel is my most likely scavenger game.

Are you putting head shots on them critters? Follow up shots are not a high priority, but yeah, paper punching makes misfeeds a PITA!

It’s not like I’m worried about over penetration in the woods, no?

I'm with you on that. Have to match the round to the purpose. HPs have no advantage for shooting paper and would be a PITA if not feeding in a given gun.

I'm using a Ruger American Rimfire bolt gun most of the time that I am hunting small game and keep my ammo consistent to avoid having to re-sight in.

Found this nice vid comparing .22LR HP expansion for this purpose:

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I don't have any particular problem with hollow point .22 ammo, but I'm probably buying higher quality than most and I avoid high velocity hollow point. The hollow point I buy, I buy for particular accuracy in particular guns of mine.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    While not an absolute...the higher velocity and hyper-velocity rimfires are simply not as accurate than standard grade ammunition. That changes on a gun by gun basis but I've had only one gun shoot hyper-velocity .22 ammo accurately and that's a S&W Model 41...but that's a target grade pistol.

CCI standard velocity is my go-to .22LR.

RFBfromDE

W&C MD, UT, PA
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 21, 2022
    I'm using a Ruger American Rimfire bolt gun most of the time that I am hunting small game and keep my ammo consistent to avoid having to re-sight in.

I came to MDS to;

1. Learn stuff.

2. Affirmation.

3. Comedy.

Not necessarily in that order.

TY!

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    I have good luck with CCI Velocitor in my 22 rifles, but I rarely shoot it. I prefer suppressed killing and it is not very quiet at all.

Trigger Time

Amazed
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 23, 2013
    I'm with you on that. Have to match the round to the purpose. HPs have no advantage for shooting paper and would be a PITA if not feeding in a given gun.

Would have been nice if he used at least one solid round nose to see how it compared to the hollow points expansion

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom