• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    Someone posted a video years ago comparing .22 rounds, and the Remington Yellowjackets were pretty nasty, so I bought several boxes while I could just in case. Then they were discontinued, but I kept a mag full of them for the 15-22 in case my daughter ever needed them when she was younger, and home alone. She's ok with the 9mm now though.

DaveP

Jan 27, 2013
    St. Marys county
    I've always preferred a truncated cone for small game hunting.

When CCI stopped production of their SGB ( small game bullet), I, and evidentially, MANY others contacted them.

When they resumed production, I made SURE I'd never run out again.

Luckily, I get fantastic groups with them from most all the rifles I hunt with.
    And shoot almost exactly to same POA as Blazers.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I'm with you on that. Have to match the round to the purpose. HPs have no advantage for shooting paper and would be a PITA if not feeding in a given gun.

I'm using a Ruger American Rimfire bolt gun most of the time that I am hunting small game and keep my ammo consistent to avoid having to re-sight in.

Found this nice vid comparing .22LR HP expansion for this purpose:

Nice video. My limited experience on a couple of dozen ground hogs is that round points don't expand unless they hit a solid bone like the skull or pelvis. Hollow points it depends, I've only be shooting them with subs or segmented subs/quiets.

The segmented bullets have always come apart reliably on any groundhog hit. Winchester 42gr HP subs mostly seem to expand and expand okay. CCI HP suppressor rounds have always expanded reliably. At least for anything I've recovered. A lot are pass throughs, but exit wounds are bigger than entrance. I've recovered 5 or 6 Winchester 42 subs and two hadn't expanded much, the others did. I've recovered 4 CCI suppressor 45gr HP and all 4 had expanded nicely.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    I get great accuracy out of my 16" MKII suppressed rifle with CCI Suppressors. I can keep twenty rounds inside a quarter sized group at 50yds and they just flat kill if I make a good shot.

I think this was actually 18rds in this group.

IMG_7833.jpg

Even if they did expand what would be the point? Assuming you are small game hunting (squirrels, rabbits etc) most small game is easily killed with a decently placed shot..Expansion won't make them "deader"..Just my experience but lead round nose are more reliable, more accurate and sub sonic velocities are more consistently accurate than those"hyper velocity truncated things ...I shoot hundreds if not thousands of 22LR every year. It's cheap (ish) practice plus I like to small game hunt. Lately i've been using gemtech subs for hunting. about 900FPS from my internally supressed 10/22. A little pricey but very quiet and they are one shot one kill on squirrels and accurate enough for head shots..

Brent

#2ALivesMatter
    Nov 22, 2013
    Amongst the Deplorables, SC.
    Re: 22 ammo for small game

f6d0390580dbbdf2d89b8be49adebc1b.jpg

This here 5 shot group at 25y and a Williams peep rear?

Done with my .177 air gun running around 750-800 fps. I haven’t had extensive field use. But I plugged a squirrel this as I have a plenty (yup it was eaten as well). Nothing more than to see how efficient it is in dispatching. Put it this way, I’d have zero compunction taking a rabbit to 30y with a headshot, nor a squirrel at the same distance in even a vitals shot.

Anything that size (we’re back to talking .22’s) will kill the hell out of anything within realistically framed expectations with a well placed shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brent

#2ALivesMatter
    Nov 22, 2013
    Amongst the Deplorables, SC.
    Even if they did expand what would be the point? Assuming you are small game hunting (squirrels, rabbits etc) most small game is easily killed with a decently placed shot..Expansion won't make them "deader"..Just my experience but lead round nose are more reliable, more accurate and sub sonic velocities are more consistently accurate than those"hyper velocity truncated things ...I shoot hundreds if not thousands of 22LR every year. It's cheap (ish) practice plus I like to small game hunt. Lately i've been using gemtech subs for hunting. about 900FPS from my internally supressed 10/22. A little pricey but very quiet and they are one shot one kill on squirrels and accurate enough for head shots..

+1. Shot placement. These projectiles are physically huge in size in comparison to the game we taking with them. Think of something of relative size at same velocity striking us. Yes. Shot placement.

+1. Shot placement. These projectiles are physically huge in size in comparison to the game we taking with them. Think of something of relative size at same velocity striking us. Yes. Shot placement.

If my math is correct the equivalent projectile weight for a man sized target would be about 2 ounces..that's getting shot with a 12 gauge slug....twice..

Grimmy544

MDS Supporter
    Mar 6, 2023
    Dover pa
    For target shooting cci standard, I found sk standard plus is just as accurate as some premium match Ammo. Hunting ammo cci segmented is top notch in the expansion and energy transfer.

mauser58

My home is a sports store
    Dec 2, 2020
    Baltimore County, near the Bay
    Its like anything else these days. They make a huge variety and its your decision to buy or use what you like. Its what works for you. Doesn't matter what the guy next to you thinks or is using. See what advantages or disadvantages it has for you.

RFD

Nov 22, 2012
    Baltimore
    I used mostly cci brand standard velocity in my mkii suppressed rifle.I found that the round nose can pass through a small animal and the hp's never have. This at 25yds. or less distance. I still buy equal amounts of hp for varmints and rn for target shooting.

noahhh

Jan 28, 2009
    Arnold,Md
    I haven't bothered much with HV or HV hollowpoint stuff in decades. I'm rather an accuracy purist, and when hunting will only take a head shot or no shot at all. To that end premium target ammo gets the nod, and kills them dead.

Case in point: our backyard/garden is regularly invaded by groundhogs, and I've dispatched over 20 over the last 4 years with .22's. All at around 50 yards, all with Eley Tenex, all one shot to the head.

OLkv5Gxl.jpg

hbjudzvl.jpg

FDdrSSql.jpg

With a couple of my target guns that shoot like this, heck I'm comfy taking head shots on squirrels out to 100 yards. 100yds, Eley Tenex, BSA International:
    nMC5yY4l.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom