• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Warpspasm

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2010
    Harford, Co.
    I took my new Ruger 22/45 out to the range this morning to sight in a red dot. I got it zeroed pretty easily. I didn't plan on staying long, so I only brought 40 rounds or so. I was happily shooting and at about round 30 or 35 I had a jam. I cleared it, fired a few shots and had another. I took my last couple of shots, then looked at the brass. I didn't see all of the cases, but one that was sitting on the bench had a vertical split from the rim to about half way down the casing. Isn't that kind of weird for new factory ammo? I don't know much about .22lr, but I thought it was strange. I was shooting Remington Target.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    I do not remember ever seeing a .22 case split. I would try another brand first. Make sure you keep some of the spent cases. If the second brand shows the same issues, it is the gun and you should contact either the FFL you bought it from or Ruger. If you bought it from a local shop, they will ship it for you. They should contact Ruger and deal with the BS, that is part of a dealer's job. If you bought it on line, you deal with it.

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    In the past month I have shot around 1000 rounds of 25+ year old .22LR ammo. I did not have any split cases. I had a few (less than 20) rounds that did not feed, but that was it.

Warpspasm

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2010
    Harford, Co.
    I thought it was pretty weird. I'll pick up a bunch of Mini Mags and see if the problem happens again. I doubt the problem would be with a brand new Ruger, but who the knows? I guess any thing is possible. Before today I've run about 200 rounds through the gun. No problems that I was aware of.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    I thought it was pretty weird. I'll pick up a bunch of Mini Mags and see if the problem happens again. I doubt the problem would be with a brand new Ruger, but who the knows? I guess any thing is possible. Before today I've run about 200 rounds through the gun. No problems that I was aware of.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

More info, that is good. I thought the 40 rounds were the first rounds out of the gun. I first thought Ruger shipped a lemon.

Test with the new ammo and check the cases.

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    I had an old ruger that would split and very slightly bulge the rims at the base. Took it to a local gunsmith and he told me that the chamber had been peened out of round by years of people dry firing it and the firing pin hitting the rim of the chamber.

Possible that maybe the chamber was cut a bit oversized or out of round???

tball

Ultimate Member
    May 20, 2010
    St. Augustine, Florida
    I had the back blow out of a .22 round when I let someone else try shooting my rifle. I believe it was a Winchester round. If a round jams in my rifle, I set it aside, because I don't shoot bent rounds. The person who shot my rifle said oh, I'll shoot your orphans. Before I could say anything Bam, flash and there goes my extractor. I believe what happened, was the round was probably bent from being jammed. I don't normally shoot Winchester. The back of the round was blown out.

My guess is that you had a bent round that didn't fully chamber before hit by the firing pin.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I have some really old ammo stored under freak conditions that has a certain percentage of cases with spot brittleness , that will split.

And .22lr's will split when fired in .22WMR chamber.

Other than that either a Lot of bad anealing , or very oversize chamber.

Nov 14, 2010
    Kingsville, MD
    I've had the side split twice with the same bulk box of Remington ammo when I first got my 22/45. I've never had that problem with any other ammo

Sent from my Triumph using Tapatalk 2

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    Never seen it before with shooting thousands of .22 rounds. Might it have been REALLY old ammo that was brittle?

That was my initial thought. ^^^

I took the old Mini Mag brass, filled the case to the brim with H335 and compressed it down with a .22 bullet. I don't see where that could be the problem.:bannana:

Aaahhh.........you need to fill the rim with primer solution before doing the above. If by chance you just forgot to mention that and reload accordingly, a GOOD MOUTH CRIMP is definately needed.:innocent0

baltimorelaw

Mar 27, 2009
    Never had the problem with 22s but my 17HM2 is a different story....that will split the case necks pretty regularly. Maybe the brass wasn't annealed properly at the manufacturer on that lot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jtlambo

Latest threads

Top Bottom