• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JamesBailey

Form Factor'ed!
    Jan 28, 2010
    Arlington VA
    For anyone that is thinking about running this match next year, I would be willing to get together with you all and share our experiences from this year's match. I would also be willing to organize and teach a land nav w/o GPS's class for anyone that would be interested. This match involves so many different skills sets and each require a lot of attention.

axshon

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    Howard County
    James, that's pretty generous of you! Are you thinking of doing this after you have actually run the course? I won't be available before the end of July for any kind of class series but would certainly carve out time after August 1 to do it. Might also be a good place to find a possible team mate.

JamesBailey

Form Factor'ed!
    Jan 28, 2010
    Arlington VA
    James, that's pretty generous of you! Are you thinking of doing this after you have actually run the course? I won't be available before the end of July for any kind of class series but would certainly carve out time after August 1 to do it. Might also be a good place to find a possible team mate.

I would do it AFTER we run this year's match. Trebark and I have some ideas that are "proprietary" and want them to remain as such until after this year's action. I have a few "lightfighter" skills - NOT to include precision shooting yet - and I enjoy helping out other motivated folks where I can.

Yoshi

Invictus
    Jun 9, 2010
    Someplace in Maryland
    For anyone that is thinking about running this match next year, I would be willing to get together with you all and share our experiences from this year's match. I would also be willing to organize and teach a land nav w/o GPS's class for anyone that would be interested. This match involves so many different skills sets and each require a lot of attention.

Count me in!

niftyvt

Ultimate Member
    Aug 21, 2010
    Virginia
    This sounds amazing and I would love to go to a competition like this, but its all about the time and money. I have the time but not the money or equipment . . . yet! I

If you set up a land nav class I would be interested. I need to shake the cobwebs out my orienteering competitions I did as a Boy Scout :D

Jackson923

Hell Yeah!
    Jan 25, 2008
    Harford Co
    I was looking at this two day ago at work, I would love to do this but I would have to plan it around November of this year for next year, that's when I fill out my vacation time at work. It's a shame when you have to take vacation days just to get some training that will benefit your department especially when they pay for it.

JamesBailey

Form Factor'ed!
    Jan 28, 2010
    Arlington VA
    My land nav would focus on military/tactical aspects, not on emergency preparedness like the the Maryland Preppers would do. I would focus on how to navigate towards an objective from your chain of command and not become a liability while doing so. It would not be something I would charge for (i.e. it would not be a CVT class), but just a bunch of guys getting together for some controlled hiking. Maybe 2-3 hours of classroom-like discussion and then 3-4 hours out in a state park finding Check Points. Absolutely no firearms involved. You guys would bring a lensatic type compass, some ranger beads and a beer for me and I would bring some gridded maps, a route for us to navigate and lead the class instruction. As I said, I will think about this after this year's Utah match.

axshon

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    Howard County
    So Trebark and JamesBailey, you have all your gear ready to roll?

Best of luck, and safe travels guys! We look forward to hearing about it when you return.

Tower43

USMC - 0311
    Jul 6, 2010
    Lusby, MD
    JamesBailey - If you're serious and would like some instructor help I would work with you to set this up; 8 years in the infantry and I still got it (Hell, I have a 1:50,000 map of CLNC hanging on my wall, with impact zones etc on it :D )

JamesBailey

Form Factor'ed!
    Jan 28, 2010
    Arlington VA
    So Trebark and JamesBailey, you have all your gear ready to roll?

Negative, we are not. Unfortunately, we are not going to this innovative and challenging match. My wife, who is 9 months pregnant, was put on bed rest by doctors last Thursday and this forced me to stay here. Baby is coming out via c-section 30 July if not sooner.

I am super disappointed that we can't do this match. Trebark and I have busted our asses training for this for at least 7 months. We had all our gear carefully planned and a game plan ready. Trebark has made HUGE improvements in his long-range movement and he now moves with the best of them, e.g. he is now "foot cav." Trebark is a tough light-fighter, a helluva shooter and an even nicer guy - I am sorry to let him down. Thankfully, he understands my home-front situation and supports my decision to withdraw and stay with my wife these final few days before our 3rd kid is born.

In terms of doing the land nav training, not right now. The disappointment at missing the match will hopefully fade, but I can't face doing land nav training right now.

In any case, I WILL be at Mayberry on 5 AUG, even if I have to bring the new baby up with me :o

axshon

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    Howard County
    Well hell, if you are going to miss it, you're missing it for the best of reasons! You're right, there are few guys I've met around here as motivated as trebark.

Very best of luck for a healthy wife and child!

P.S. I won't be at the Aug 5 match because my wife will be out of town and I'm Mr. Mom that weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom