Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 27, 2012
    Marriottsville, Maryland

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Most .30-06 expanding construction bullets will be fine. I'd personally go 168gr in .30-06.

Are you for real with that statement? If you are, you may want to read up on what the bullet weights mean in .30 caliber.

A quick overview for you, from somebody that handloads match ammo and hunting ammo for 308 and 30-06.

168gr HPBT bullets are not acceptable for hunting, because they are designed for precision shooting and not designed to expand. 168gr bullets have a much higher ballistic co-efficient than other bullets, because they are known as MATCH bullets. 168gr bullets will make a .30 caliber hole going in and a .30 caliber hole going out, with zero expansion, inside the target animal.

165gr bullets are acceptable for hunting, because they are HPBT, but they are designed to expand on impact, like a hollowpoint should. As such the 165gr bullets have a lower ballistic co-efficient than a MATCH bullet will.

I cite load data from the Sierra 5th Edition reloading manual. Specifically pages 5 (165gr Game Kings) and page 6 (168gr Match Kings). Take special note of what it says at the bottom of page 6.

http://m-b-r.co.uk/PDF/Sierra 30-06 Springfield.pdf

Sierra does not recommend MatchKing bullets for hunting applications.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    OP, in 30-06, I am running 44.0gr of IMR-3031 on Remington brass, with a CCI 200 primer, and a 165gr Sierra Game King on top of it. The COAL I am set to is 3.180.

Take my load data with a grain of salt and work up your own loads, to find out what works best in your rifle.

If you don't reload and want to buy ammo off the shelf, I highly recommend that you get ammo made with a 165gr Sierra Game King.

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    My .02: Get two or three brands and see what your rifle shoots best. Maybe it will shoot all the same, maybe not.

Personally, I have a Savage Axis and it "likes" Remmington Core Lokt 165 grain. It also likes Fusion and the Winchester black box that has a picture of a bear on it--I forgot the brand they put on it.

Any 30-06 will put a deer down fast. Just go with what shoots best out of your rifle.

...and bring ear plugs to your stand! I know a lot of people don't do that, but I definitely regret every shot I've taken while hunting without remembering to put my ear plugs in. 30-06 is loud as F.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Are you for real with that statement? If you are, you may want to read up on what the bullet weights mean in .30 caliber.

A quick overview for you, from somebody that handloads match ammo and hunting ammo for 308 and 30-06.

168gr HPBT bullets are not acceptable for hunting, because they are designed for precision shooting and not designed to expand. 168gr bullets have a much higher ballistic co-efficient than other bullets, because they are known as MATCH bullets. 168gr bullets will make a .30 caliber hole going in and a .30 caliber hole going out, with zero expansion, inside the target animal.

165gr bullets are acceptable for hunting, because they are HPBT, but they are designed to expand on impact, like a hollowpoint should. As such the 165gr bullets have a lower ballistic co-efficient than a MATCH bullet will.

I cite load data from the Sierra 5th Edition reloading manual. Specifically pages 5 (165gr Game Kings) and page 6 (168gr Match Kings). Take special note of what it says at the bottom of page 6.

http://m-b-r.co.uk/PDF/Sierra 30-06 Springfield.pdf

You seemed to have missed the "expanding bullet" part of his post. Here's a nice 168gr bullet for hunting http://www.midwayusa.com/product/19...iber-308-diameter-168-grain-spitzer-box-of-50

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    You seemed to have missed the "expanding bullet" part of his post. Here's a nice 168gr bullet for hunting http://www.midwayusa.com/product/19...iber-308-diameter-168-grain-spitzer-box-of-50
    So there is one bullet. Woo hoo.

The problem that I was pointing out is that he recommended a bullet weight that is match bullets, as an industry standard. If you don't know anything about ammo, he gave horrible advice. Considering that there are people that read this site, he has the potential to give them the wrong information.

tomandjerry00

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2013
    I'm partial to Federal Fusion. Great round for the money. I shoot 180 grains bc I use the same gun for elk and deer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChrisD

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    Conowingo
    I hunt WV, and been using a 30-06 for nearly 35 years. 150 grain PSP Core-Loct Remington works very well. I used to use 180 soft point bullets years ago, but in my rifle, the 150 PSP shoots better and dispatches an animal quickly. The 150 seems to be easier on my shoulder while shooting from the bench than the 180 too. I used to use a 700BDL, but now use a 7600 pump. Great rifle for the mountains.

Last edited:

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg

The problem that I was pointing out is that he recommended a bullet weight that is match bullets, as an industry standard. If you don't know anything about ammo, he gave horrible advice. Considering that there are people that read this site, he has the potential to give them the wrong information.

Check out Berger 168Gr VLD hunting bullets. Devastating performance! Check out the info. and videos on Berger's site.
    For the average guy though, 150gr. soft point bullets will get the job done and cost less.

Park ranger

Ultimate Member
    Dec 6, 2015

How many match only bullets are there in 168 grain weight? 4 or 5 companies? Berger, Sierra, nosler, hornady, speer if you consider them a match bullets. Maybe Barnes has a match burner in 168?

I think he prefaced his statement fine with saying expanding. Such as 168 nosler BT, and berger VLD.

To say a match bullet won't expand is incorrect. They are unpredictable. They may stay together, they may expand sufficient, or they may come apart very quickly.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Check out Berger 168Gr VLD hunting bullets. Devastating performance! Check out the info. and videos on Berger's site.
    For the average guy though, 150gr. soft point bullets will get the job done and cost less.

How many match only bullets are there in 168 grain weight? 4 or 5 companies? Berger, Sierra, nosler, hornady, speer if you consider them a match bullets. Maybe Barnes has a match burner in 168?

I think he prefaced his statement fine with saying expanding. Such as 168 nosler BT, and berger VLD.

To say a match bullet won't expand is incorrect. They are unpredictable. They may stay together, they may expand sufficient, or they may come apart very quickly.

Ok, I wasn't responding to the OP, I was responding to lazarus. He gave bad information, by not explaining what bullet in the 168gr lines to use. Just by saying 168gr, somebody will see a 168gr on the shelf and not see that it is a MATCH bullet. Just because he said expanding 168gr, doesn't let him off the hook for a screw up that severe. A lot of people reload, but I don't think the OP reloads, so he would be buying store bought ammo.

lazarus has been giving incorrect information a lot, or information with no explanation as to why he said it. Like what he posted above.

As hunters, we need to be ethical it what we do and strive for a clean kill. His advice throws that out the window.

You guys understand my position now and why I corrected him?

rob257

Jan 17, 2013
    North Central Carroll Co.
    Hummm..

I am not a big fan of thin jacket ballistic tips. While they are very accurate, I have seen the take the entire shoulder off a deer on exit. A lot of wasted meat. While I don't shoot an 06, but I do use the 150 Grain Swift Scirocco Bonded in my 7mm Rem Mag and am very please with the performance on white tails.

Mini..are you sure your not undergunned:innocent0

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    For .30 caliber (specifically, .30-'06 and .308) the Hornady 150 grain Spire Point (soft point) and Sierra 165 grain GameKing boolits are incredibly good.

Personally, I like the 165 grain Winchester Ballistic Silvertips for factory ammo.
    (My .30 caliber rifles like 'em, too!)

With that said, a very good friend of mine uses nothing but a 180 grain RNSP in his Ruger No. 1, in '06.
    He's used that rifle for decades, and has taken deer (in Nebraska) at over 300 yards, and they have dropped where they stand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom