• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Just perused the latest American Rifleman. Yeah I know, who reads that NRA garbage right?

Anyway I was interested in learning about Remington's new straight wall offering based on the 30/30 case before final forming during manufacturing not unlike the 350 Legend.

Another thing I noticed or at least I read into the obsolescence of the 35 Remington based on the writers observations. Amused at the same time the writers neglect to mention the other thing with the 35's, case head diameter which was overlooked but not the main thrust of the article so no hanging matter nonetheless.

The article otherwise was informative and to the point which I appreciated. Also included the usual laundry list of specs, pressure velocity and accuracy trials that everyone likes to go on about every dam time like no one ever pulled a press handle or something.

Looks like Henry is onboard with a lever gun suited for the rimmed case which may be a workable alternative to current market offerings and a good candidate for new shooters hunters as already discussed in another thread. I'm personally not a big fan of Henry's aesthetics for the lever guns or anything they make, but better than nothing and at least they're doing it and not talking about it which is better than nothing in the first place lest I mention.
    If you get a chance, check it out you may like what you see.
    Google is free for those that need a link or syrup put on their pancakes by gramma for them to be the best pancakes eva.
    Or just get the mag instead of American Hunter from the Dr's office while your there.:sarcasm:

Oh and the rimmed case is a whole better and slightly higher velocity with the 200 gr projie instead of the 17o light load just like its supposed to be I also noticed powder selection could be problematic so as always, vet your pet equipment carefully.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Here's the .360 Buckhammer in a nut shell :

Visualize the old wildcat .35/ .30-30
    Increase the pressure level to same as the .356 Winchester .

Performance won't be a mystery . Equivalent to " max load for strong rifle .35 Remington " , or somewhat downloaded .358 Win , and .356 Win .

Advantages - Big one is " straight wall " for hunting regs . 2-300 fps faster than the currently fadish .350 Legend .

Disadvantage ( or not ? ) - Big one , is that NOT compatible with AR-15 platform . A bit more recoil than Legend , but still definitely in catagory of Mild .

If you obsess over " best " , the Buckhammer is slightly more better- er than the Legend in mid bore Straight Wall .

But probably not enough difference to override a strong preference of AR-15 vs Lever Action ( or single shot ) .

toppkatt

Ultimate Member
    Apr 22, 2017
    Think I'll stick to the .35 Remington in a Remington model 8 or 81.
    Good enough for Frank Hamer, good enough for me :-)

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Here's the .360 Buckhammer in a nut shell :

Visualize the old wildcat .35/ .30-30
    Increase the pressure level to same as the .356 Winchester .

Performance won't be a mystery . Equivalent to " max load for strong rifle .35 Remington " , or somewhat downloaded .358 Win , and .356 Win .

Advantages - Big one is " straight wall " for hunting regs . 2-300 fps faster than the currently fadish .350 Legend .

Disadvantage ( or not ? ) - Big one , is that NOT compatible with AR-15 platform . A bit more recoil than Legend , but still definitely in catagory of Mild .

If you obsess over " best " , the Buckhammer is slightly more better- er than the Legend in mid bore Straight Wall .

But probably not enough difference to override a strong preference of AR-15 vs Lever Action ( or single shot ) .
    Pretty much it too if you ask me.
    But, first things first.
    If you obsess over the best, dont live or hunt in straight wall county with a firearm if you can help it! no 1.
    Unless theirs some good ones running around maybe, which is the first thing.
    AR compatibility, important for sure,,,,,,, especially for follow up shots which may be a possibility for those who are recoil sensitive or cant hunt with a bow in the first place.
    I think it will catch on with hunters not guys and gals who want to hunt and play commando at the same time.
    But who knows, maybe it will flop and there will be a lot of cheap bullets left over for all the 35 brass still out there for guys like me.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Ok ! I'll rephrase again , with only 3% hyperbole and 2% cynicism :

.360 Buckhammer = .35 Remington legal to hunt deer in previously Shotgun Only county/ area . ( In Maryland and other states ) .

Already own a .35 Remington ?
    Do your Rifle Hunting in traditional " Rifle " counties or states ? ( Or consider your Fully Rifled Shotgun more than good enough for " Shotgun counties " ? )

Stick with your .35 Remington and enjoy .

Are you an AR person , who would rather kiss Brian Frosh than be seen with a so called " Fudd Gun " ?

Legend is the latest AR compatible ctg , that is also straight wall .

Do you like traditional Leverguns ?
    Interested in creditable Medium Bore ?
    Interested in potent Straight Wall , with flatter trajectory and less recoil than .38-55 , .45-70 , .444 , etc ?

Have you been jonesing for a wildcat .35/ .30-30 , and now excited about factory rifles and factory brass ?

Both of those , .360Buckhammer is your Huckleberry .

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    I’m interested in the .400 Legend, but feel it may suffer the same fate as the 40S&W. Just not right for the majority of people.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Ok ! I'll rephrase again , with only 3% hyperbole and 2% cynicism :

.360 Buckhammer = .35 Remington legal to hunt deer in previously Shotgun Only county/ area . ( In Maryland and other states ) .

Already own a .35 Remington ?
    Do your Rifle Hunting in traditional " Rifle " counties or states ? ( Or consider your Fully Rifled Shotgun more than good enough for " Shotgun counties " ? )

Stick with your .35 Remington and enjoy .

Are you an AR person , who would rather kiss Brian Frosh than be seen with a so called " Fudd Gun " ?

Legend is the latest AR compatible ctg , that is also straight wall .

Do you like traditional Leverguns ?
    Interested in creditable Medium Bore ?
    Interested in potent Straight Wall , with flatter trajectory and less recoil than .38-55 , .45-70 , .444 , etc ?

Have you been jonesing for a wildcat .35/ .30-30 , and now excited about factory rifles and factory brass ?

Both of those , .360Buckhammer is your Huckleberry .
    I'll speak for myself here no rephrase necessary. I dont pine for any of those attributes in the big grand larger sense.

I'm in it for the hunt and the experience not Brian Frosh or Huckleberry hound.

And thats what I'm interested in personally. Maybe grass some big MD deer along the way, shoot a gun in my backyard and all that.

Next time I read an article, Ill just keep it to myself If I think it wont be appealing to enough persons to be worthy of a post. Or pass ballistic muster from a marketing expert.

Now, I'm off to live the outdoor life style, not just go on about it like most care to do.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Pretty much it too if you ask me.
    But, first things first.
    If you obsess over the best, dont live or hunt in straight wall county with a firearm if you can help it! no 1.

I should have added the context of " Obsessed with Best " in the context of straight wall legal .

Lots of people live/ hunt in previously Shotgun Only counties and states . It's a widespread thing , not just in Maryland . ( Trivia - The Straight Wall concept ( with a few additional criteria ) started in Mississippi and Ohio , both of which previously were shotgun only state wide .) Lots of good hunting , and big deer in those areas .

The Biggfoot Estate is in such an area . And I haven't rushed out for latest SWC's , because I already have tackdriving bolt action 12ga and traditional Leverguns that exceed any potential shots at home , and be only minor limiting other nearby venues . Heck , I've been known to sucuessfully use shotgun in " rifle areas " of other state .

Meanwhile , I've been wanting a .35/ .30-30 on purpose , even have a '67 M94 intended to be donor , just haven't quite gotten around to send out .

The Saint

Black Powder Nerd/Resident Junk Collector
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 10, 2021
    Baltimore County
    No interest in either .360 nor .400, for me. I won't be stocking them unless someone wants one specifically and I find it on allocation, or the like. Honestly believe they'll be gone before they're even here as far as people wanting them over something more available.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    I should have added the context of " Obsessed with Best " in the context of straight wall legal .

Lots of people live/ hunt in previously Shotgun Only counties and states . It's a widespread thing , not just in Maryland . ( Trivia - The Straight Wall concept ( with a few additional criteria ) started in Mississippi and Ohio , both of which previously were shotgun only state wide .) Lots of good hunting , and big deer in those areas .

The Biggfoot Estate is in such an area . And I haven't rushed out for latest SWC's , because I already have tackdriving bolt action 12ga and traditional Leverguns that exceed any potential shots at home , and be only minor limiting other nearby venues . Heck , I've been known to sucuessfully use shotgun in " rifle areas " of other state .

Meanwhile , I've been wanting a .35/ .30-30 on purpose , even have a '67 M94 intended to be donor , just haven't quite gotten around to send out .

Maybe adding bow hunting to your estates repertoire for deer taking methods would be a substantial means of additional recreational enjoyment.
    Then reloading measures are successfully rendered moot as long as you can find an arrow.
    I think maybe incorrectly, that’s an acceptable method as well with opportunity based limitations for the largesse.
    But , not the crux of the initial messaging regarding a Remington branded product offering.
    Trivia is immaterial as far as I’m concerned.
    Everyone has differing needs wants and desires.
    A lesson was not the intended discourse of my original post but does add to the conversation none the less so thank you.

6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    I think that is manufacturers oversaturate the straight-wall rifle arena we'll have a few years where they're all available, then some will fall into obsolesence.

The only dislike I have about the 350 Legend is that there's no parent case, so you can't make your own brass. The 360 Buckhammer is nice because you can use a 30-30 case to make the 360 Buckhammer case. That being said, what if I don't want a lever gun? I like pump action and bolt action rifles. I haven't seen anyone coming out with a 360 pump or bolt rifle.

I'm not sure about the 360 recoil, but I can say that a 350 is between a 22LR and a 223.

Hibs

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2015
    Maryland
    Not practical, thus the invention of the 360 BH.
    I'm not sure what you mean by "not practical". How is a 360 lever gun any different?

The practical part is I can get 350 legend literally everywhere, including WalMart. I love my Ruger American in 350 Legend but it would be cooler in a lever gun.

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    I'm not sure what you mean by "not practical". How is a 360 lever gun any different?

The practical part is I can get 350 legend literally everywhere, including WalMart. I love my Ruger American in 350 Legend but it would be cooler in a lever gun.
    Only practical way for 350 to be made in a lever is with a detachable box mag similar to the Browning BDR or the Henry Long Ranger. Not going to work in the Marlin, Rossi, Winchester, and Mossberg. Levers usually have round nose or soft point bullets .350 uses spitzer or spire point bullets. Levers usually use rimmed cartridges. The 350 is a rebated rim
    cartridge and headspace’s on the neck.
    360 BH uses a rimmed cartridge like the 30/30, 44 Mag, 45 Colt, 45/70, etc. works great it levers.

Hibs

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2015
    Maryland
    Only practical way for 350 to be made in a lever is with a detachable box mag similar to the Browning BDR or the Henry Long Ranger. Not going to work in the Marlin, Rossi, Winchester, and Mossberg. Levers usually have round nose or soft point bullets .350 uses spitzer or spire point bullets. Levers usually use rimmed cartridges. The 350 is a rebated rim
    cartridge and headspace’s on the neck.
    360 BH uses a rimmed cartridge like the 30/30, 44 Mag, 45 Colt, 45/70, etc. works great it levers.
    OK thank you for that thorough explanation. Makes sense now!

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Or a rotary mag Savage M99 . But yeah .

The .360 would be essentially a drop in for traditional Levers that handle .30-30 . .350 would be suitable for the handfull of " Modern " Lever actions , that are offered in .308 .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom