• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    IMHO, for some real knock down, I've love a lever gun in .445 super magnum. Not worlds more powerful than 44 magnum, but I'd imagine out of a lever gun you could develop about 200fps more with a 300gr than a 44 magnum. And I'd think a 240gr would be more like 300fps faster.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Only practical way for 350 to be made in a lever is with a detachable box mag similar to the Browning BDR or the Henry Long Ranger. Not going to work in the Marlin, Rossi, Winchester, and Mossberg. Levers usually have round nose or soft point bullets .350 uses spitzer or spire point bullets. Levers usually use rimmed cartridges. The 350 is a rebated rim
    cartridge and headspace’s on the neck.
    360 BH uses a rimmed cartridge like the 30/30, 44 Mag, 45 Colt, 45/70, etc. works great it levers.
    The .35 Remington is a rimless cartridge that runs fine in a Marlin 336.
    IMHO, for some real knock down, I've love a lever gun in .445 super magnum. Not worlds more powerful than 44 magnum, but I'd imagine out of a lever gun you could develop about 200fps more with a 300gr than a 44 magnum. And I'd think a 240gr would be more like 300fps faster.
    I have two . 445 SuperMag Contender barrels, one a 10" pistol and the other a 16-1/2" carbine, since it became available from the Custom Shop in the 80s. Been a great cartridge and several young hunters have used the carbine barrel to take their first deer. It will also run regular .44 mags and .44 S&Ws, albeit huge differences in zeros.

The .445 SM has since been overshadowed and is now out-performed by more recent big bore, large capacity handgun cartridges (.460, .500S&W, etc).

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    The .35 Remington is a rimless cartridge that runs fine in a Marlin 336.

I have two . 445 SuperMag Contender barrels, one a 10" pistol and the other a 16-1/2" carbine, since it became available from the Custom Shop in the 80s. Been a great cartridge and several young hunters have used the carbine barrel to take their first deer. It will also run regular .44 mags and .44 S&Ws, albeit huge differences in zeros.

The .445 SM has since been overshadowed and is now out-performed by more recent big bore, large capacity handgun cartridges (.460, .500S&W, etc).
    Oh for sure. But tougher 44 mag bullets will work fine for .445SM. .460 and 500S&W require much more expensive and less common bullets I don’t stock.

Just my thoughts on it. Nothing wrong with the .460 and 500s&w if that works for someone. A .445SM I’d also consider a revolver in. The bigger boys I wouldn’t. But that’s of course me. And as you mentioned, 44S&W and 44 mag will run in a .445SM. .460 and .500S&W basically stand alone. Of course you can download them a fair amount.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom