• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    I think you will find the FN SLP to be a lot less ammo sensitive.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Was not the gun it was the ammo. The 930 extractor ripped a chunk out of the rim of the WWB ammo causing it to jam. After that I would not use that stuff again. Won't use ammo that has that crappy a rim construction.

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    I am just getting into 3 gun and have decided to buy a JM Pro to get me started. I might very well upgrade down the road, but with all of the other things to buy, I do not want to break the bank on a shotgun at this time.

That said, I am trying to decide if I want the 22 inch (8 + 1) or the 24 inch (9 + 1). They are roughly the same price (22" $583 shipped to FFL / 24" $593 shipped to FFL).

Other than price and the extra mag capacity, is there any benefit to one or the other for three gun? Resale?

This may be a silly thought, but I am leaning towards the 22" because I do not have an HD shotgun and other than this being a semi auto, it could serve that purpose as well. My thought is that I could always add an extended magazine down the road.

Thoughts?

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    After a lot of online research, I decided on and ordered the 22" JM Pro 930.

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    I don't plan on shooting great distances with it, like the idea of keeping it a few inches shorter, read that the 24" with the extra shell capacity started to get a little front end heavy, and will only be competing against myself. Plus, I already own a longer barreled O/U and shorter barreled Mossy 500, so this will fit right in between.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I am just getting into 3 gun and have decided to buy a JM Pro to get me started. I might very well upgrade down the road, but with all of the other things to buy, I do not want to break the bank on a shotgun at this time.

That said, I am trying to decide if I want the 22 inch (8 + 1) or the 24 inch (9 + 1). They are roughly the same price (22" $583 shipped to FFL / 24" $593 shipped to FFL).

Other than price and the extra mag capacity, is there any benefit to one or the other for three gun? Resale?

This may be a silly thought, but I am leaning towards the 22" because I do not have an HD shotgun and other than this being a semi auto, it could serve that purpose as well. My thought is that I could always add an extended magazine down the road.

Thoughts?

If I could have gotten a 24" FN I would have bought it. Most skeet/trap/SC places require a minimum 23" barrel :rolleyes:

RobSky

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Southern Anne Arundel
    I run 24.

At some 3g events, I've noticed that the shorter barrel doesn't have the power to knock down the longer range small steel or pendulams that have started to show up at some matches. Just my .02.

I would recommend that you send out for lifter weld, ramp opening, and ext mag release button. Those mods have helped a lot.

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    I run 24.

At some 3g events, I've noticed that the shorter barrel doesn't have the power to knock down the longer range small steel or pendulams that have started to show up at some matches. Just my .02.

I would recommend that you send out for lifter weld, ramp opening, and ext mag release button. Those mods have helped a lot.

I just ordered the 24" JM Pro - Pretty good deal from grabagun.com - $592.03 delivered + $15 FFL fee.

So now where to I order the lifter weld, ramp opening, and ext mag release?

RobSky

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Southern Anne Arundel
    I just ordered the 24" JM Pro - Pretty good deal from grabagun.com - $592.03 delivered + $15 FFL fee.

So now where to I order the lifter weld, ramp opening, and ext mag release?

I've used,
    https://southern-kentucky-tactical.myshopify.com/
    and
    http://c-rums.com/Shotgun.html

Both are good.

Also, you may be interested in getting an extended mag tube to load 13.
    Although, most of the time you can only start with 8+1. Sometime its advantageous to top off prior to start.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Ditto on that. The difference between reloading the shotgun twice instead of once on a stage can be as much as 5 seconds or more of time added to your score. Mine is a 24" and I did that because in some organizations they want you to have 9 in the tube before you chamber a round and some others want you to have 8+1 in the gun. And if they allow additional loading once the buzzer goes off then having a 12 rd. tube is a must. I have never been in a stage where the extra long tube got in the way. If I did I might have blown the money on the mini X-Rail rotary magazine (14 rd.) or the large one (22 rd.).

RobSky

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Southern Anne Arundel
    One other note, I use a chest rig to reload, rest the butt of gun on my shoulder, left hand on barrel, right hand reloading, and on occasion where a lot of shotgun is used on a stage, I've burnt my hand on the barrel.
    Going to try a glove or some of this...
    http://guntape.com/

Not sure if anyone else has run into this problem, or has another solution.

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    One other note, I use a chest rig to reload, rest the butt of gun on my shoulder, left hand on barrel, right hand reloading, and on occasion where a lot of shotgun is used on a stage, I've burnt my hand on the barrel.
    Going to try a glove or some of this...
    http://guntape.com/

Not sure if anyone else has run into this problem, or has another solution.

I just wear a Mechanix glove on my support hand.

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    Yeah but the cost. When I decided to start shooting 3-gun I already had 2 Browning Golds in my safe, a 3.5" black Stalker and my late wife's 20 ga Gold Hunter. I found out that the barrel I needed to convert the Stalker for 3-gun cost as much as buying a brand new Mossberg 930 JMP. So I promptly sold both Brownings and got enough to buy a 930 tactical and a 930 JMP and buy all the caddies and Load2/4 stuff I needed.
    The only issue I had with the 930 is it did not like WWB ammo. Once I switched to Fed value packs from WM everything was fine. I also did not clean my 930 for the entire 1st season to see what it would do. Worked fine and I finally got guilty and cleaned it. Had to soak the gas ring for close to an hour to get it off the tube but it still worked. Have yet to do any mods on it. Does not need welding the carrier unless you load from caddies as doing load2/4 only needs cutting away some of the receiver around the mag opening to make loading better. Also some say you need to trim the right edge of the carrier because some guns will jam it against the side of the receiver protrusion there.
    The only thing I miss from the Browning is the autoload 1st round feature. But if you tactical reload before you shoot the last round that does not matter.
    Mine is a 24" 10 (9+1) round model which I have converted to 12+1 with a mag tube and extension from the Xrail guy (in case I run Open or the event allows loading more after the buzzer goes off). If they only allow 9 in the tube I remove the 2 round extension and leave the longer spring in which reduces the mag to 9.

So, I recently ordered the JM Pro 24" 9 + 1. I am brand new to this, so bear with me. As I read more, I am concerned that I will not be able to use this gun in in Tac Ops or Heavy Metal because the capacity is too large.

Is this a legitimate concern or am I missing something? From what I can tell, I will only be able to use this gun in the Open division.

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    So, I recently ordered the JM Pro 24" 9 + 1. I am brand new to this, so bear with me. As I read more, I am concerned that I will not be able to use this gun in in Tac Ops or Heavy Metal because the capacity is too large.
    Is this a legitimate concern or am missing something? From what I can tell, I will only be able to use this gun in the Open division.

It is fine for tacops. You can only load the gun at 8+1 to start, but after the buzzer, you can drop in an extra round, if you'd like.

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    It is fine for tacops. You can only load the gun at 8+1 to start, but after the buzzer, you can drop in an extra round, if you'd like.

So, you are saying that the magazine capacity alone will not disqualify the gun as long as you only load a total of 9 to start?

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    So, you are saying that the magazine capacity alone will not disqualify the gun as long as you only load a total of 9 to start?

That is correct. My tac ops shotgun, an FN SLP, will hold 10 + 1 and my heavy metal shotgun, an 870, will hold 11 + 1. Both must start the stage loaded to 8+1.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom