• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    So I picked up my JM Pro this week and can already tell that I am going to need to replace the lifter because my thumb gets caught when loading. Not sure that I quite understand why the manufacturer would produce the gun like this or even more so, why Jerry Miculek would put his stamp of approval on it. It isn't like they are saving on production costs or as if they even sell a replacement lifter, because as far as I can tell, they don't offer one.

At any rate, I will likely order the Southern Kentucky polished lifter unless someone has a better suggestion.

https://southern-kentucky-tactical.myshopify.com/collections/all

I am a little nervous to start taking a dremel to the opening. Is there someone local that would do a good job of this at a decent price? How much would one expect to pay for that?

ar15dave

AR15Dave
    Jun 10, 2008
    Monrovia, MD
    I think I am going to get the JM Pro to start. And the modified lifter as that seems to be the only real issue with it. At least at my level of competition anyway. Just doing this for fun and exercise.

Thanks for all the input. Now I need to find a vendor in the Frederick, MD area that has a JM Pro in stock I can pick up at a reasonable price.

Dave

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    I think I am going to get the JM Pro to start. And the modified lifter as that seems to be the only real issue with it. At least at my level of competition anyway. Just doing this for fun and exercise.

Thanks for all the input. Now I need to find a vendor in the Frederick, MD area that has a JM Pro in stock I can pick up at a reasonable price.

Dave

I respect that you may want to keep it local, however if you are looking for the best price, then you won't find it any cheaper than right here.

22 inch - $582 shipped to your FFL
    https://grabagun.com/mossberg-930-jm-pro-12-24-3-9sh-syn-bl.html

24 inch - $583 shipped to your FFL
    https://grabagun.com/mossberg-930-jm-pro-12-24-3-10rd-syn-bl.html

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    So I picked up my JM Pro this week and can already tell that I am going to need to replace the lifter because my thumb gets caught when loading. Not sure that I quite understand why the manufacturer would produce the gun like this or even more so, why Jerry Miculek would put his stamp of approval on it. It isn't like they are saving on production costs or as if they even sell a replacement lifter, because as far as I can tell, they don't offer one.

After some reading up on lifter welding, it turns out that it helps feeding the shells, and making the fork into a spoon screws up feeding. Not sure if it's the weight difference or the shape, but I've decided to back off on getting the lifter in my FN SLP welded.

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    After some reading up on lifter welding, it turns out that it helps feeding the shells, and making the fork into a spoon screws up feeding. Not sure if it's the weight difference or the shape, but I've decided to back off on getting the lifter in my FN SLP welded.

I understand why it needs to be done, I just do not understand why it doesn't come from the factory that way. Even Jerry Miculek's daughter has had her JM Pro fitted with a welded lifter. It does not make any sense to me.

ar15dave

AR15Dave
    Jun 10, 2008
    Monrovia, MD
    I respect that you may want to keep it local, however if you are looking for the best price, then you won't find it any cheaper than right here.

22 inch - $582 shipped to your FFL
    https://grabagun.com/mossberg-930-jm-pro-12-24-3-9sh-syn-bl.html

24 inch - $583 shipped to your FFL
    https://grabagun.com/mossberg-930-jm-pro-12-24-3-10rd-syn-bl.html

Was thinking of on-line but after transfer fees and such it would probably be about the same as getting it here.

Will post in the IP section and see what I can find for a price.

Dave

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    Was thinking of on-line but after transfer fees and such it would probably be about the same as getting it here.

Will post in the IP section and see what I can find for a price.

Dave

Bollingers in Taneytown will do a long gun transfer for $15. That coupled with $5.99 shipping and no sales tax, I think you will be pretty hard pressed to get this gun cheaper that $600 all in. Let us know what you find.

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    I've used,
    https://southern-kentucky-tactical.myshopify.com/
    and
    http://c-rums.com/Shotgun.html

Both are good.

Also, you may be interested in getting an extended mag tube to load 13.
    Although, most of the time you can only start with 8+1. Sometime its advantageous to top off prior to start.

After shooting my JM Pro for the first time this weekend, I can see why it is imperative that the lifter be replaced or welded. This guy at Southern-Kentucky has an abysmal feedback rating from his customers on Facebook. Some complaining that it has taken him up to two months to ship and he does not respond to emails or phone messages.

That being said, I can not seem to find another place that actually sells replacement lifters. Everyone else seems to just weld the existing one. I like the idea of a replacement. Any other ideas on where to buy one?

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia

At any rate, I will likely order the Southern Kentucky polished lifter unless someone has a better suggestion.

https://southern-kentucky-tactical.myshopify.com/collections/all

I am a little nervous to start taking a dremel to the opening. Is there someone local that would do a good job of this at a decent price? How much would one expect to pay for that?
    If you reload from caddies you might want to weld and cut the lifter. If you do Load2 or QuadLoad you mainly only need to cut away the receiver a little around the mag opening.
    As for 3-gun shotguns no one mods them like that from the factory. They include a lot of things you need that can be assembled that way, but no factory is going to mod the shotgun by cutting and welding things. That's what the aftermarket industry is for. I shot my JM Pro pretty much bone stock the first year not cutting or welding anything. Not even cleaning it till almost November just to see what it could do.

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    If you reload from caddies you might want to weld and cut the lifter. If you do Load2 or QuadLoad you mainly only need to cut away the receiver a little around the mag opening.
    As for 3-gun shotguns no one mods them like that from the factory. They include a lot of things you need that can be assembled that way, but no factory is going to mod the shotgun by cutting and welding things. That's what the aftermarket industry is for. I shot my JM Pro pretty much bone stock the first year not cutting or welding anything. Not even cleaning it till almost November just to see what it could do.

That is intriguing to me. I am definately going to Load2 and hopefully eventually QuadLoad. My dad who is much more skilled with his hands than I am has agreed to help with cutting away the receiver. I am trying to understand why you would say that I do not need to weld the lifter. My thumb gets caught in no matter how I am loading. Maybe I am not performing the Load2 properly?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom