• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Saw some #4 buck shot tonite. 27 pellets per round, Bigger than BBs, looks like it would be a god HD round. Never seen it before, what do you think.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    Saw some #4 buck shot tonite. 27 pellets per round, Bigger than BBs, looks like it would be a god HD round. Never seen it before, what do you think.

I used it on deer a couple times in King George County VA when I hunted there mid-80's - late 90's. Kills deer quickly under 60 yds. Had 1 deer shot at about 30 yds that was running when hit. Fell so hard it slid 10 - 15 ft on the ground! However, it also made mincemeat of them at ranges under about 30 yds, so I stopped using it and went with 00. FYI, I used 3" mags Winchester Western - 41 pellets. I still have some in my ammo storage...for HD these days.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I've test fired some Hevi Shot 2 3/4" #4 Buck loads. Patterned decent out to 25 yards which is further than I plan to use it. Use is to reduce over penetration in home defensive scenario. Otherwise, I wouldn't use them.

lsw

לא לדרוך עליי
    Sep 2, 2013
    #4 buck is popular as a HD round. At inside-the-home distances the increased pellet count over 00 is not that important, since there won'd be much spread with either at short ranges, but there will be less chance of overpenetration with the smaller pellets.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    One of these days I think I am going to shoot a piece of drywall at 20 feet with a load of bird shot with a cylinder choke and see what the heck happens. Might even set up several sheets of drywall to see what the amount of penetration is.

Anybody know of any videos regarding this issue?

Well, this is pretty informative:

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2010/02/robert-farago/shotgun-penetration-with-various-rounds/

Looks like I will be buying some #4 buckshot.

Also, there was mention of Hevi-Shot #4. Hevi-Shot is denser than lead, and harder than lead, so it will have more penetration if fired at the same velocity as lead. It also patterns tighter, but I doubt that matters for home defense.

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    One of these days I think I am going to shoot a piece of drywall at 20 feet with a load of bird shot with a cylinder choke and see what the heck happens. Might even set up several sheets of drywall to see what the amount of penetration is.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2010/02/robert-farago/shotgun-penetration-with-various-rounds/

Also, there was mention of Hevi-Shot #4. Hevi-Shot is denser than lead, and harder than lead, so it will have more penetration if fired at the same velocity as lead. It also patterns tighter, but I doubt that matters for home defense.

Hold tight on that thought. There was a great show on the Outdoor Channel and they tested wall penetration for all kinds of ammo.

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    OK, it is Gun Talk Television with Tom Gresham and Chris Cerino. They shoot everything from .223, handguns, shotguns through walls and water bottles. It was from January of this year. Working on a link, but you have to go to www.guntalk.tv to get to the episode. Episode is called Ballistic Myths.

EDIT: I can't seem to get the link to the show since it looks like you have to subscribe and pay.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    OK, it is Gun Talk Television with Tom Gresham and Chris Cerino. They shoot everything from .223, handguns, shotguns through walls and water bottles. It was from January of this year. Working on a link, but you have to go to www.guntalk.tv to get to the episode. Episode is called Ballistic Myths.

EDIT: I can't seem to get the link to the show since it looks like you have to subscribe and pay.

Well, do you remember what the results were?

What should I use in the house to make sure I don't kill my kids on the other side of a wall? Probably a baseball bat or a knife, or make sure I put every projectile into the bad guy.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck

Thats not the show i was thinking about, but they have some cool videos!

Heres one on knock down power

[YT]fr2qVzIg8qU[/YT]

molonlabe

Ultimate Member
    May 7, 2005
    Mountaineer Country, WV
    It was the recommended round in the 80's but seemed to lost favor to 00. I still prefer it for HD. They equate to around .22 I think. Even bird shot at close range is lethal.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    #4 buck is popular as a HD round. At inside-the-home distances the increased pellet count over 00 is not that important, since there won'd be much spread with either at short ranges, but there will be less chance of overpenetration with the smaller pellets.

Pellet count does matter for the terminal ballistics a bit. At shotgun velocities, the projectiles wound by their permanent crush cavity. Federal's low recoil #4 buck has 34, .24" pellets...each pellet having .045in^2 area...so 1.53in^2 of crush. 00 usually has 9 pellets at .33" ...each pellet having .086in^2 area...sooo .774in^2 of crush cavity. Because the pellets are all smaller, there's less void space between them in the hull, so you can pack in a larger cross-sectional area of shot in the same volume of space. The only real reason why you wouldn't want smaller shot is because of the penetration concerns, since each pellet won't really have all that much momentum and will penetrate less, the smaller they are. So as you move from 000 buck to #8 shot, you move from a smaller cross-sectional area but deeper penetration depth, to a larger cross sectional area but a shallower penetration depth.

If you are shooting at distance, or through barriers, 00 makes sense in order to meet the 12"-18" minimum penetration depth requirement. If you're going to be in closer and not shooting through barriers, #4 makes sense, as it'll create a wound cavity of a larger volume and still likely penetrate 12". It's generally acknowledged that #1 buck is the best compromise between penetration and cross sectional area of shot, which is why it's disappointing that more manufacturers don't make #1bk self defense loads. Federal made an excellent #1bk flitecontrol load, but it's become damned near impossible to find lately.

Experts also agree that birdshot is for birds and should not be used for defense against people if you have a choice in the matter. It doesn't penetrate sufficiently enough and will likely be largely effected by clothing, the presence of skin, and ribs...failing to penetrate to the vitals and stop a threat quickly.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/12...reduced-recoil-4-buckshot-34-pellets-box-of-5

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/12...kshot-9-pellets-box-of-5?cm_vc=ProductFinding

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Well, do you remember what the results were?

What should I use in the house to make sure I don't kill my kids on the other side of a wall? Probably a baseball bat or a knife, or make sure I put every projectile into the bad guy.

50-55 grain .223 varmint loads. High velocity, fragmenting by nature, and low penetrating. Not ideal for heavier bad guys and clothing but work a burst from chest to face and no issues.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    my bedside shotgun has 9 rounds of #4 buckshot in it and always will.

Guess you are NEVER expecting to have an intruder, and if that is the case might as well not have the shotgun there. Guess you are NEVER going to function check the gun either for the rest of your life.

Just ribbing you on the use of ALWAYS.

NEVER, ALWAYS, ALL, etc. are almost ALWAYS false.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    Guess you are NEVER expecting to have an intruder, and if that is the case might as well not have the shotgun there. Guess you are NEVER going to function check the gun either for the rest of your life.

Just ribbing you on the use of ALWAYS.

NEVER, ALWAYS, ALL, etc. are almost ALWAYS false.

always since I have a few buckets full of it. and I hope to never have an intruder but I believe in being prepared. but I should take her out and run a few thru her.

ShafTed

Ultimate Member
    Mar 21, 2013
    Juuuuust over the line
    The Box O Truth

http://www.theboxotruth.com/the-box-o-truth-3-the-shotgun-meets-the-box-o-truth/

See also #14 from the same web site. They address some shortcomings of the original design, where the "walls" are constructed in a more realistic manner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom