the ammo I want is federal hst 230 grain
    I see federal makes it in regular load and +p

my question is the +p worth getting or will the regular load be fine
    will the +p ammo supercharge my 45 :D

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    Either one is fine, just don't use the +P on a regular basis as it will wear out the gun prematurely.

Make sure it functions completely reliable in any situation. It may take several hundred rounds to REALLY put it through it's paces.

Last edited:

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    IMNSHO, in the .45 acp, +p is really not necessary.

YMMV.

Go easy on the guy, we don't know his ex wife! He made need +P+! :lol2: :lol:

For home defense, I always stick with whatever I use at the range. Unless you're going to practice with it and know what to expect from an accuracy, recoil, and feeding reliability standpoint, why mix things up?

I think I'm going to work one of those "Gyro Jets" into my nightstand rotation. :party29:

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    Go easy on the guy, we don't know his ex wife! He made need +P+! :lol2: :lol:

For home defense, I always stick with whatever I use at the range. Unless you're going to practice with it and know what to expect from an accuracy, recoil, and feeding reliability standpoint, why mix things up?

I think I'm going to work one of those "Gyro Jets" into my nightstand rotation. :party29:

For my ex-wife, I'd need an old WWII "King Tiger" tank!!!!!:lol2:
    (Or a 10 kiloton nuke suppository!):D

lkenefic

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    Is this a Jacketed Hollow Point round? Normally, I'd go with a higher velocity round to insure reliable expansion of the JHP, but in this case, you're already launching a 230 gr bullet down range... even nominal expansion at normal velocities is good in a home defense round.

Cold Steel

Sep 26, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    Plus-P these days are so buried in legal restrictions and mumbo jumbo that it doesn't mean as much as it used to. Still, if I were going to shoot many +Ps, I'd probably invest in some stiffer mainsprings. If you get malfunctions move back to the standard springs. Regarding stopping power, as long as you stay away from the round nose jacketed, you should be fine. Heck, you should be fine with just about any ammo. I use 185gr JHPs, not because I think they'll expand; it's because I think they'll be less penetrating than the heavier round nose rounds.

The .45 has a great psychological effect on people and it boosts the confidence of people using it. But round nose ammo is rotten regardless of its caliber. Some of the fellows I've talked to who have served in Iraq said they valued the penetration and firepower of the 9mm rounds over any advantage the .45 would offer. The bottom line is that the type of ammo you use is frequently more important than the caliber. There's some specialty ammo sold by WalMart that goes for about a buck a round. I can understand you wanting the +P, though any jacketed hollowpoint will probably do the job.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The std will be fine. In general all of the major brands in 230gr JHP will do fine at std vels , and gives the advantage of similar recoil and POI to 230fmj practice rounds.

The other question you didn't ask is evaluating the parameters of specifically home defense. You aren't needing to shoot thru carbodies of windshields inside your home. When it comes to penetrating thru walls, etc less is generally better than more.

While it isn't the newest kid on the block , WW Silvertip 185s will have the least wall penetration of any conventional round , and still have decent stopping power.

Baccusboy

Teecha, teecha
    Oct 10, 2010
    Seoul
    I agree with the "go with standard pressure" camp. In this loading, anyway.

From tests I've seen, the non-+P actually penetrates further than +P with heavy clothing.

And FYI, for buying online, check out mahsupplies.net or sgammo.com

matt.ruszala

Jan 31, 2012
    NorthEast Baltimore City
    I'm with most of the posts you have gotten. Stick with standard charge. I'd run 38 +P or +P+ through the .357 magnum king cobra I had but that was due to it being a .357 magnum.

For personal protection a near 1/2" diameter round is gonna hurt no matter how much propellent is behind it.

Save your money and buy quality standard charge rounds that work best for yourself and your gun.

Baccusboy

Teecha, teecha
    Oct 10, 2010
    Seoul
    Can you link?

Found *Link!*

I see that it doesn't mean penetration standards but is that not enough expansion to do damage?

Sure, it would do damage, but there are better things out there for the premium price. Pick either: HST, Gold Dot, Ranger-T, Ranger Bonded, Barnes-X...

I also didn't feel the Zombie (Critical Defense) load didn't show much for cutting action with the petals compared to something like the Ranger-T. Also would want at least 12" or so of penetration. Myself, I like to see 13.5 to 14 inches. That's just me. FBI standard is 12".

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tharper429

Latest threads

Top Bottom