• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hibs

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2015
    Maryland
    While not specifically what you asked, I use a .350 Legend and have found it to be extremely effective.

JB62

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2013
    Annapolis
    Yes, used it for two seasons with great success. Switched to Henry single shot 450 for a change. Great round for woods hunting.

JB62

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2013
    Annapolis
    Part of reason for change was not wanting to go up in the tree with loaded weapon. Had the bushmaster upper and had to let the bolt go with some force to reliably chamber round, forward assist did not always do the job. In the quiet of the morning did not enjoy that sound so switched it up.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    I wanted a .450 bushmaster since Talbot county is shotgun only but they now allow straight wall cartridges. I ended up getting a .50 Beowulf because I found one here for sale. It meets the muzzle energy requirements. I would definitely use a .450 for hunting if I had one.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Have had .450 and .50Beo - hadn’t hunted with them, but redneck ballistic testing showed that they’d be plenty effective - within their envelopes of range.

Hibs

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2015
    Maryland
    And I have a .22 Hornet! But I haven’t hunted with it. Still, seemed relevant, so…
    450 and 350 are both SWC, can be fed into an AR, and have the same practicality. In my experience, 350 has been extremely easy to source ammunition for and offers a better (IMO) option over 450.

But thank you, Mr. Smarty Pants.

p.s.
    I took 5 deer with my 350 Legend last year, I can attest to it's ballistic efficiency.

rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009
    Part of reason for change was not wanting to go up in the tree with loaded weapon. Had the bushmaster upper and had to let the bolt go with some force to reliably chamber round, forward assist did not always do the job. In the quiet of the morning did not enjoy that sound so switched it up.
    I get the whole not wanting to climb tree with a loaded weapon. There are things you could do to safely get a loaded weapon in the tree. use a pull up line and attach it to the butstock so the muzzle is pointed down. Make sure the safety is on and no magazine. While this isnt the best it can be done. If you get In the stand early before hunting hours the noise of putting one in the chamber isnt that big of a deal Considering all the noise one makes getting to and in the stand.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Ammo availability has been mentioned, and is a valid point to consider - but considering these rounds are snot simple to reload (and that really opens up your options), it’s less of a problem, IF you reload.

rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009
    I have one and it is a thumper. I don't hunt, but inside 150-200yds it would more than enough for deer.
    when I hunt I never take shots longer then 100 yards And that is pushing it, 90% of my shots even with a gun are with in bow range. For me and how I hunt there is just too much of a chance to miss or not make a clean kill at that longer distance. I tend to hunt hardwoods and pine thickets.

rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009
    Ammo availability has been mentioned, and is a valid point to consider - but considering these rounds are snot simple to reload (and that really opens up your options), it’s less of a problem, IF you reload.
    in the past two days I have been in two gun shops in southern maryland and they both had at least 2 different brands of 450 BM and no less then 10 of each. I have seen several on line places have them, Gun monkeys in LaPlata had them but the cheepest one they had was $55 for 20. I just ordered the exact brand and load for $35 from on line dealer.

I ordered my upper Monday along with two 4 round magazines. I then ordered from a different vender a follower for a hexmag I have and one for a GI metal mag. I then went to amazon and bought a set of dies that will be here today. The trouble I am having is finding availability of the brass, And at an affordable price. I did order 50 rounds of starling brass for about $1.25 each Along with some 250 gr bullets. So I will be loading for this

I am looking for some cheep .452 bullets for practice and break-in then I think I will switch to the 300 xtp mag bullets for hunting.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Perfect, J2 on 231 in Calvert had 450 on the shelf as well (forget which brand/round/price), so another little stash there.

I didn’t have mine long, but the 250’s were pretty much what I stuck with. More than enough accuracy for deer, but I never took any with it.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    XTP should (iirc) be under the 2.260” limit for pmags - but don’t hold me to that yet

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    I don't see any advantage for .450 over .350 in your use case.

.350 does the deed well on deer, is much cheaper, is readily available, and less recoil.

Jerry M

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2007
    Glen Burnie MD
    Yes, I have killed two deer with mine since the SG to straight wall cartridge law went into effect. Midway-USA had a sale on these uppers a few years ago. I specifically bought one and hunt with it because the president and libs tell me I don't need one to hunt deer. Challenge accepted!

Zaicran

MDS Supporter
    Sep 26, 2010
    Morganza, MD
    I wanted a .450 bushmaster since Talbot county is shotgun only but they now allow straight wall cartridges. I ended up getting a .50 Beowulf because I found one here for sale. It meets the muzzle energy requirements. I would definitely use a .450 for hunting if I had one.
    I also went with the .50 Beowulf over the 450.

rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009
    I also went with the .50 Beowulf over the 450.
    is there a reason you went with the 50 over the 450 ? i went with the 450 because it use .452 bullets that are more common then the .600 of the 50

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Marty S.

Latest threads

Top Bottom