• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    is there a reason you went with the 50 over the 450 ? i went with the 450 because it use .452 bullets that are more common then the .500” of the 50
    When you also go after 50 cal muzzleloader rounds, it does open up a few more options - my 530gr steel-tip rounds were Dangerous Game muzzleloader projectiles.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Just using 500s&w offerings for projectiles - that’s 275gr Barnes up to 500gr jacketed flat points - let alone the super heavy cast rounds

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Practical applications, the 450 is a better choice (and I love my 50Beo) - slightly better velocity, slightly better terminal range, and more support because it’s not trademarked, IMO.

Bill Alexander pissed people off with his shenanigans.

King Chicken

I identify as King/Emperor
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 24, 2022
    Land Full of Marys - MoCo
    @rickyp a bushmaster for hunting? The deer aren't walking around the woods with kevlar vests on for God's sake.
    a800e6a008e56626b5430833ed1c7bd0.jpg

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    Practical applications, the 450 is a better choice (and I love my 50Beo) - slightly better velocity, slightly better terminal range, and more support because it’s not trademarked, IMO.

Bill Alexander pissed people off with his shenanigans.
    I went with the .50 Beo because I got a good deal on a used upper with ammo and reloading dies. I wanted a .450 though. I got a suppressor for the .50 from Bowers, pretty heavy can but it tames the .50 and can be used on a lot of other cartridges.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I went with the .50 Beo because I got a good deal on a used upper with ammo and reloading dies. I wanted a .450 though. I got a suppressor for the .50 from Bowers, pretty heavy can but it tames the .50 and can be used on a lot of other cartridges.
    I bought another 50Beo just to replace the one I sold a few years back - it just puts a smile on my face if I’m honest.

I’m looking at the Vers50 too… lol

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    I bought another 50Beo just to replace the one I sold a few years back - it just puts a smile on my face if I’m honest.

I’m looking at the Vers50 too… lol
    Get the one with the stainless steel baffles. You can shoot cartridges up to 2650fps which covers a lot more. With the adapters it'll fit pretty much anything but it's big.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Get the one with the stainless steel baffles. You can shoot cartridges up to 2650fps which covers a lot more. With the adapters it'll fit pretty much anything but it's big.
    That was my plan, I drive some of the lighter rounds pretty hard at times, and adapters down to 1/2x28 - versatility is overlooked by some.

hobiecat590

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2016
    Wouldn't 450 Bushmaster subsonic with a can be a more effective deer round than say 350 Winchester. at under 120 yards?

elwojo

File not found: M:/Liberty.exe
    Dec 23, 2012
    Baltimore, Maryland
    I'm a big fan of the AR15 in 450bm. I bought a Ruger version of it (I think they call it the AR-223 in 450bm...) and haven't had problems at all. I have exclusively reloaded for the rifle, using 250gr FTX projectiles and H110 powder, which gets a consistent 2300fps. Two deer down last year (one at 130yds with great precision). It is louder and has more kick for sure than a 223, but it's entirely manageable. I might get into seeing if I can cycle the action with the 395gr sub-x projectiles while keeping those under 1025fps, but I haven't gotten to that experiment yet.

The 350 Legend would honestly be a good option as well. Better ballistics and energy outside 200yds. Lighter recoil.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Considering most AR 450’s run a appreciable length gas system, cycling subs may need to involve going to adjustable gas and playing with buffer weight - but should be doable.

rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009
    I'm a big fan of the AR15 in 450bm. I bought a Ruger version of it (I think they call it the AR-223 in 450bm...) and haven't had problems at all. I have exclusively reloaded for the rifle, using 250gr FTX projectiles and H110 powder, which gets a consistent 2300fps. Two deer down last year (one at 130yds with great precision). It is louder and has more kick for sure than a 223, but it's entirely manageable. I might get into seeing if I can cycle the action with the 395gr sub-x projectiles while keeping those under 1025fps, but I haven't gotten to that experiment yet.

The 350 Legend would honestly be a good option as well. Better ballistics and energy outside 200yds. Lighter recoil.
    most of my shots are closer to bow range. very few are really between 50-100 yards do anything over 100 yards doesn’t mean much to me. even when i use to hunt over fields when i had my hunting lease my shots where never over 100 yards.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    most of my shots are closer to bow range. very few are really between 50-100 yards do anything over 100 yards doesn’t mean much to me. even when i use to hunt over fields when i had my hunting lease my shots where never over 100 yards.
    I'm not taking a shot passed 100yds unless I am using an accurate rifle, like a .308 or something similar. I can hit steel at 100yds with my .50 beo and a 6X scope but I hunt in the woods and most shots are well inside 100yds. I hate tracking deer, especially at night.

rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009
    i agree i cant stand tracking a deer but what i hate even more is wounding a deer and it suffering a long time. i prefer a little overkill

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    .50beo with even plated HP’s should drop Bambi ethically and efficiently

I know squirrel’s literally disappear when targeted, but that’s another thread.

450 ought to do just fine too, provided you still have a decent line

rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009
    I can’t wait to see all the liberals in charles county when they see me hunting with an ar15. They all know the ar15 has no sporting use. The more tasteful picture we post with animal harvest with ar15 rifles the more we can show they actually do have a sporting purpose

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Imetthevarmit

Latest threads

Top Bottom