• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ascorb

Mar 2, 2016
    I just bought a lot of ammo from ables ammo and they are all tarnished some pretty badly, is this safe for storage for long term or is there a safe way to clean them and store them?

campns

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2013
    Germantown, MD
    +1 on photos, whatever you use don't use any cleaner that has anything ammonia based in it (Brasso, Simichrome, Flitz), and if anything cleaning it with a paper towel is better as it's a mild abrasive.

Side note I know plenty of re-loaders that will do a whirl in a brass tumbler once they are done re-loading it just may wear out your tumbler from the added weight.

c4snipar

Ultimate Member
    Jul 21, 2014
    Montgomery County, MD
    Should be go to go. Some of the ammo I got from cabelas, SG and Freedom to including my training ammo were tarnished. They looked ugly but shoots ok. However, at your own risk and pictures would be nice to show everyone maybe I missed something.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Dark stains - no problem

Green stuff - minor corrosion, clean and inspect. As long as it does not look like metal is missing, shoot it.

Pink corrosive - BAD stuff. DO NOT SHOOT. You can harvest the bullets, and that is about it.

For dark stains and green corrosion, a vibratory tumbler will work well to removing it. I use corn cob media with Dillon Polish.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Side note I know plenty of re-loaders that will do a whirl in a brass tumbler once they are done re-loading it just may wear out your tumbler from the added weight.

For ammo I stockpile, I run the finished rounds through walnut media with some NuFinish. Keeps them shiny. :D

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Where are you located. If in Hazzard County, I can let you use my tumbler and you can run them through walnut media and Nufinish. Or you can buy a Harbor Freight tumbler and then go to a pet store and buy crushed walnut bedding for birds. You can buy a really large bag for the cost of a really small bag sold for gun cleaning.

ascorb

Mar 2, 2016
    Where are you located. If in Hazzard County, I can let you use my tumbler and you can run them through walnut media and Nufinish. Or you can buy a Harbor Freight tumbler and then go to a pet store and buy crushed walnut bedding for birds. You can buy a really large bag for the cost of a really small bag sold for gun cleaning.

I had a reloader friend look at them, he said they were tarnished but still shootable but I should mark them "shoot first". I'm curious though with nu finish do I have to apply it per bullet or is there a way to do it in bulk, incase I get another huge batch of tarnished (I know it's till good) but I like my ammo clean and shiny just a pet peave. Will this also work on nickel plated cases and would it harm copper jackets or clean it as well?

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Nufinish is just a polish. It will shine almost all metals. I add about a capful of Nufinish to my tumbler media and it works well. I do a lot of range "pick em ups" and many times the casings aren't in the best of shape. Nufinish and about 24 hours will make them look brand new. Polishing the ammo that you shoot, usually takes about 4-8 hours, depending on how anal you are.

I have an ultra-sonic cleaner, but I don't see any reason to fowl up the cleaner when this method does such a good job. Who would have thought pet store media and a cheap car polish would work so well?

Good Luck!

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I prefer corn cob media. For loaded rounds, pet bedding from Pet Smart works very well. It is a big big for empty cases, and it gets stuck inside.

I use Dillon polish. Just add a couple of capfuls to a new batch of media, and then add another when it doesn't clean as quickly

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    Could tumbling loaded ammo cause the powder in the cases to become slightly more pulverized from tumbling and working against each other? If that turns larger powder grains into finer or smaller grains that combust more quickly, could that cause an overpressure?

303_enfield

Ultimate Member
    May 30, 2007
    DelMarVa
    Could tumbling loaded ammo cause the powder in the cases to become slightly more pulverized from tumbling and working against each other? If that turns larger powder grains into finer or smaller grains that combust more quickly, could that cause an overpressure?

Yes! An with the wrong type of powder (stick) you can go BOOM. Surplus dealers (some) have been doing it for years. The BOOM does happen but not often. With modern ammo, some manufactures tumble it.

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    Yes! An with the wrong type of powder (stick) you can go BOOM. Surplus dealers (some) have been doing it for years. The BOOM does happen but not often. With modern ammo, some manufactures tumble it.

Thanks for the feedback. It seemed logical to me when I posted.

To me, tarnish itself is of no concern. It won't affect chambering or extraction, and is just a cosmetic issue that offends the eye. How ammo got tarnished may be a concern, due to possibly questionable storage conditions. Corrosive atmospheres first come to mind for tarnishing brass, but I don't know if it will affect the powder or primer. How long was it exposed? Are the bullet and primer sealed? If you know it was stored properly, just shoot it. If not, test it. Never use ammo you don't absolutely trust for SD or carry!

ascorb

Mar 2, 2016
    Thanks for the feedback. It seemed logical to me when I posted.

To me, tarnish itself is of no concern. It won't affect chambering or extraction, and is just a cosmetic issue that offends the eye. How ammo got tarnished may be a concern, due to possibly questionable storage conditions. Corrosive atmospheres first come to mind for tarnishing brass, but I don't know if it will affect the powder or primer. How long was it exposed? Are the bullet and primer sealed? If you know it was stored properly, just shoot it. If not, test it. Never use ammo you don't absolutely trust for SD or carry!

I trust only gold dot and hornady for those

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    nexgen98

Latest threads

Top Bottom