• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    +1 on photos, whatever you use don't use any cleaner that has anything ammonia based in it (Brasso, Simichrome, Flitz), and if anything cleaning it with a paper towel is better as it's a mild abrasive.

Side note I know plenty of re-loaders that will do a whirl in a brass tumbler once they are done re-loading it just may wear out your tumbler from the added weight.
    I tumble briefly after loading to remove lube remnants from the cases, but I wet tumble before loading, so cleaning isn't really needed, just a quick degreasing (or de-waxing in my case)..

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Most manufacturers tumble ammo at the end of the loading process. Lake City does with all military ammo.

If you search, a guy forgot his ammo in the tumbler, and left it for some 24 hours. NO change in velocity when he fired it.

I tumble for 15 - 20 minutes after I load 5.56 on my Dillon to remove the lube.

To be clear, we are talking about VIBRATORY tumbling. NOT rotary.

ascorb

Mar 2, 2016
    ehh this post left me more confused than ever, so I should go with a vibrating tumbler?

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    Most manufacturers tumble ammo at the end of the loading process. Lake City does with all military ammo.

If you search, a guy forgot his ammo in left it for some 24 hours. NO change in velocity when he fired it.

I tumble for 15 - 20 minutes after I load 5.56 on my Dillon to remove the lube.

To be clear, we are talking about VIBRATORY tumbling. NOT rotary.

Kind of a misnomer to call it tumbling if it's not rotary. :shrug:

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    I have a bunch of surplus Swedish 6.5mm which is pretty scary looking. An hour in the vibratory tumbler does almost nothing, but 5 seconds with a bit of steel wool removes the loose crud and polishes the case, leaving large dark areas but allowing close inspection.

Surplus ammo top center, new PPU ammo on right.

Attachments

• Swede cropped ugly ammo.jpg
      Swede cropped ugly ammo.jpg
      50.3 KB · Views: 90

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    Could tumbling loaded ammo cause the powder in the cases to become slightly more pulverized from tumbling and working against each other? If that turns larger powder grains into finer or smaller grains that combust more quickly, could that cause an overpressure?

I got a batch of rough 30-06 and 303 HXP from CheaperThanDirt a year or two ago. It was advertised as being gnarly but shootable.

I think I posted some pics on here of the ammo and the powder before and after tumbling.

I ended up tumbling all of it and had no problems. I inspected the powder with a magnifying glass from some pulled rounds before and after tumbling and could see absolutely no difference. It helped a ton.

I had started doing each one by hand with steel wool and it was going to take me forever. Tumbling it with corn cob and some treated walnut mixed made it look great.

There were a few with the pinkish corrosion and I put those in the "to be pulled" jug.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Marty S.

Latest threads

Top Bottom