• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lkenefic

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    I tried the search function... really... I did... because I'm certain this has probably been discussed before. This caliber is the only one I shoot that the ammo is available in something other than Boxer-primed & brass case. I see all sorts of inexpensive steel case ammo for my AK, but I'm reluctant to shoot much of it for fear of damaging the chamber. Is this an unfounded concern? I see much of it is listed as Berdan primes but non-corrosive... thoughts and comments welcomed...

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    I dont think my ak's have ever had brass cased ammo. Both of them LOVE wolf,tula, silver bear and the such.

The only single issue I have had is sometimes the hard primers wont go off other than that its an akm shoot the dirty stuff :)

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    There is no concern, com-bloc ammo for com-bloc guns. Chamber on an AK should just laugh at steel-cased, run it.

Scott7891

Love those Combloc guns
    Sep 4, 2007
    Back in MD sadly
    Thanks guys... the cheap stuff it is!

If you have an AR, then worry.

If it is an AK or other firearm of the former communist bloc (SKS, VZ58) then it will be good to go to use the steel cased ammo which they were designed to use anyway. Buying brass unless it is the cheap Yugo surplus is a waste IMHO unless you are a reloader (then again reloading for 7.62x39 would be stupid at the moment considering how inexpensive it is) since you won't get any accuracy or reliability improvements over steel cased ammo.

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    Always remember.......true Quality will reliably shoot anything you put through it. If your firearm won't shoot junk ammo, you are holding a junk firearm.

Kingjamez

Gun Builder
    Oct 22, 2009
    Fairfax, VA
    Always remember.......true Quality will reliably shoot anything you put through it. If your firearm won't shoot junk ammo, you are holding a junk firearm.

I disagree wholeheartedly. There are so many examples of how this is wrong, I won't take the time to list them all.

-Jim

r3t1awr3yd

Meh.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 14, 2010
    Bowie, MD
    I'm about to start running through my second case of yugo surplus. That stuff is too cheap NOT to shoot. :)

I also read the "berdan primed non corrosive" but clean my AK after every range trip anyways. It's habit for all my guns.

DarthZed

Ultimate Member
    Sep 25, 2010
    Howard County
    I'm about to start running through my second case of yugo surplus. That stuff is too cheap NOT to shoot. :)

This. I don't think any of my 7.62 AKs have even tasted steel-cased ammo (I use surplus steel-cased for my 5.45 AKs). I'm sure they would have no problem with it, since the Russians planned on fighting a war using the stuff; but since I have a metric tonne of Yugo, I'll keep using that. Perhaps this is a sign that I need to get to the range more often to burn through my surplus ammo? :D

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    +1 on that, just all Brown or Silver bear to that for AR shooting. That stuff is no go.
    That explains why I just ran 500 rounds of it through my AR with no failures, right? Brown Bear is fine. It's dirty and inaccurate, but it's hardly going to break your gun.

I disagree wholeheartedly. There are so many examples of how this is wrong, I won't take the time to list them all.
    He's wrong in that tight match-chamber guns will intentionally be picky, but there's still no excuse for an off-the-shelf AR-15 to not be able to handle steel-cased ammo. If the ammo is in spec, it's in spec.

As for 7.62x39, unless you've got a gun that can't cycle it, Yugo surplus is totally the way to go. I don't think it's something I would stock up on in huge quantity (Wolf is about the same price), but good luck finding any 7.62x39 that's non-magnetic for that price ever again. Hell, just writing this made me go out and order a case for storage...

KMK1862

Ultimate Member
    Oct 12, 2010
    York County, PA
    I've used Yugo surplus, Wolf black box, Silver Bear, and Ulyanosk.

erwos, FWIW, the Yugo M67 round is supposed to have increased leathality and cause some more internal damage than standard M43 7.62x39. It might be worth keeping some around in case SHTF.

BLACKTALON

Ammo is like food
    Aug 4, 2011
    severna park
    This. I don't think any of my 7.62 AKs have even tasted steel-cased ammo (I use surplus steel-cased for my 5.45 AKs). I'm sure they would have no problem with it, since the Russians planned on fighting a war using the stuff; but since I have a metric tonne of Yugo, I'll keep using that. Perhaps this is a sign that I need to get to the range more often to burn through my surplus ammo? :D

where are you guys buying your yugo I picked up a crate for 210 at a gun show but it was 240 a case last show:sad20:
    the best stuff latly is the Bulgarian surplus but that went so quick i only got a spam can my friend shot his. it was so nice i keep mine lol

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Eh, $240 is about what a 1260rd case of M67 goes for these days. You'll notice that most of the online retailers are out of it now. It's still a pretty decent price given that it's non-magnetic. IIRC, I heard more of it was coming in November... we'll see what the prices look like then. I'm not even going to open the can I just bought of it. I'll just buy some Wolf or some other surplus if I run out of my current "loose" 7.62x39 ammo.

lkenefic

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    Are you guys buying at shows? If so, which vendor? Thanks in advance...

edited to add: BTW I'm shooting a Yugo M70 underfolder. I do have an AR15 Colt Match HBAR... I meticulously reload for this one

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.

Not always, my 10/22 will shoot SOME Remington Thunderbolt ammo but misfires a LOT. Any other .22 ammo it digest without any problems. Are Ruger 10/22's junk in your opinion?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    nexgen98

Latest threads

Top Bottom