• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Not always, my 10/22 will shoot SOME Remington Thunderbolt ammo but misfires a LOT. Any other .22 ammo it digest without any problems. Are Ruger 10/22's junk in your opinion?
    Thunderbolts suck in pretty much any way that .22LR ammo can. I don't think anyone's saying that problems with genuinely bad ammo are the fault of the rifle.

lkenefic

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    I think 22's in general will be finicky about ammo choices regardless of price... both ammo and gun... my (now sold) HighStandard Trophy loved CCI greentag, but would also consume cheaper stuff too. I couldn't get RWS (at twice the cost of greentag) to function a full magazine.

cobra

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2009
    White Marsh
    Have shot nothing but steel cased ammo thru my AK. I bought 5 different brands of " bargain" ammo and test fired them when first geting my AK. All shot fine.
    AK's are not finicky from my experience. Centry Arms underfolder.:)

lkenefic

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    I bought four different brands of ammo for my Yugo underfolder... Wolf, Brown Bear, Yugo surplus of some sort, and a bunch of Sellier & Bellot. The SB was brass cased and boxer primed, fully reloadable if I wanted to. Everything functioned flawlessly and accuracy was ~3-4MOA on average.

DarthZed

Ultimate Member
    Sep 25, 2010
    Howard County
    where are you guys buying your yugo I picked up a crate for 210 at a gun show but it was 240 a case last show:sad20:
    the best stuff latly is the Bulgarian surplus but that went so quick i only got a spam can my friend shot his. it was so nice i keep mine lol

I bought many cases years ago when it was like $160ish with shipping.

lkenefic

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    Hey guys... I'm dusting off this thread to get your opinions... I've noticed 7.62x39 Tulammo around for competitive prices and I can buy it in small batches. J&G also has UCW in tins for around the same price after calculating in shipping. Is this ammo roughly equivalent? My rifle has yet to hiccup on anything after ~ 500 rounds... Thoughts, comments welcome...

Thanks

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Ive been running steel case in AK's, ARs and bolt funs etc the cases are soft and extractors and chambers are hard.

For an AK the chamber is loose enough that it doesnt matter.

An AR will be fine if youkeep the chamber clean of laquer.

That said I have been working up some nice 7.62*39 handloads on Z-max bullets. Should rock and roll!

Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    Hey guys... I'm dusting off this thread to get your opinions... I've noticed 7.62x39 Tulammo around for competitive prices and I can buy it in small batches. J&G also has UCW in tins for around the same price after calculating in shipping. Is this ammo roughly equivalent? My rifle has yet to hiccup on anything after ~ 500 rounds... Thoughts, comments welcome...

Thanks

I shot the Tula and UCW in my Saiga and SKS. Neither had any failures, but they didn't "seem" as accurate as my M67. With the Yugo M67 you just have to clean a bit better, but if you are concerned, the Tula and UCW should be fine for plinking. I personally liked the UCW better than the Tula, but if you are stocking up for defense, buy the Yugo M67 or Wolf HP. I also really like Barnaul Silver Bear.

lkenefic

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    I shot the Tula and UCW in my Saiga and SKS. Neither had any failures, but they didn't "seem" as accurate as my M67. With the Yugo M67 you just have to clean a bit better, but if you are concerned, the Tula and UCW should be fine for plinking. I personally liked the UCW better than the Tula, but if you are stocking up for defense, buy the Yugo M67 or Wolf HP. I also really like Barnaul Silver Bear.

Thanks Sirex... this is helpful info. I'm running a Yugo M70 underfoler... have you seen M67 at gun shows recently?

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    I once found a sale on new Fiocchi brass 7.62x39 and snapped up what I could. It was still more expensive than steel but nice to shoot. It's wasted on an AK, though. FWIW, I have been around AK's in the wild and never seen brass cases. I think the Europeans/East Europeans did a lot of it once upon a time, but those little third-world places I've seen them didn't bother. I don't think the Euros do anymore, either.

In other words, your AK was made for that junk.

Just bought a bunch of Tula 122 grn HP from LuckyGunner.com. You can get it cash and carry at the gun shows in Chantilly, and I am sure elsewhere. Usually a little more than shipping it in, but all told it's a competitive price. If you want larger mags, you might as well just go to the shows in VA or PA and get it all at once.

Ovechtrick

Mar 7, 2011
    Montgomery County
    I don't think I will ever run anything but steel cased ammo through my AK. It costs a fortune to get brass cased. I've run Wolf, Tula, and UCF w/o any problems.

Wayne1one

gun aficionado
    Feb 13, 2011
    Bowie, MD
    Eh, $240 is about what a 1260rd case of M67 goes for these days. You'll notice that most of the online retailers are out of it now. It's still a pretty decent price given that it's non-magnetic. IIRC, I heard more of it was coming in November... we'll see what the prices look like then. I'm not even going to open the can I just bought of it. I'll just buy some Wolf or some other surplus if I run out of my current "loose" 7.62x39 ammo.

This has been the trend of late either its out of stock or the prices are threw the roof!

checkout my video and leave your opinion.

http://youtu.be/VJi-IGQG_h8

Dan44

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2008
    I only stock up on hard to find ammo. If I see a stash of 303,8mm something like that for sale I jump on it.

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    I decided to stock up on ammo when Bush was president, $7 for 50 rounds of 9mm and $9 for 50 rounds of 45 auto. I knew back then it wouldn't last! $150 for 1,000 rounds of 7.62x39! Those were the days.

lkenefic

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    I decided to stock up on ammo when Bush was president, $7 for 50 rounds of 9mm and $9 for 50 rounds of 45 auto. I knew back then it wouldn't last! $150 for 1,000 rounds of 7.62x39! Those were the days.

Holey Moley! I can't remember $9 for a box of .45ACP. :thumbsup:

futureseabee

CTT not seabee anymore
    Aug 18, 2008
    Va Beach

I have seen ads from back in the day where a case of x39 was under $80

I have a friend that has owned more ak's than i can count. he shot nothing but steel cased (much of it lacquer coated) and never ever cleaned any of his ak's. tens of thousands of rounds, never a cleaning. ran flawlessly

SKIP

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2009
    Glenwood/Glenelg
    I have seen ads from back in the day where a case of x39 was under $80

I have a friend that has owned more ak's than i can count. he shot nothing but steel cased (much of it lacquer coated) and never ever cleaned any of his ak's. tens of thousands of rounds, never a cleaning. ran flawlessly

DESCRIPTION QUANTITY PRICE COST
    Yugoslavian 8mm
    900rd case A8mmY 1
    $63.00 $63.00

Yugoslavian 7.62x39
    1,120rd Case A7.62x39Y 1
    $89.60 $89.60
    Subtotal: $152.60
    Total: $152.60

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics