• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Somehow in my rush to take the NRA coursework to be a QHIC I overlooked a pretty big requirement

"Proof of the applicant’s minimum of 1 year of experience in instruction in the care, safety, and use of handguns."

Is there any way to show this without working for a training company or being LEO etc?

I've taught a lot of first time shooters but I can't prove that

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    How long have you had you instructor cert?
    If I pass the classes next week...then after next week

That's what I'm saying. I have no "formal" instructional background. No jobs, military, LEO etc. But I've taught a lot of new shooters to shoot. What defines proof of firearms instruction?

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    My bad, I didn't get that.
    I think you may be screwed for a year. Damn that sucks. I have been wanting to get pistol, but haven't had the time when the classes are available.

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Somehow in my rush to take the NRA coursework to be a QHIC I overlooked a pretty big requirement

"Proof of the applicant’s minimum of 1 year of experience in instruction in the care, safety, and use of handguns."

Is there any way to show this without working for a training company or being LEO etc?

I've taught a lot of first time shooters but I can't prove that

*****I'm a QHIC, and have taught for several years now. I'm not aware of anyway of showing the one year experience without some kind of documentation. Before I got the QHIC, I taught NRA Basic Pistol, Rifle, etc.. so I think I uploaded scans of my certs, including the BIT cert showing I am an instructor, etc.. As far as I know, they didn't check how long I have been teaching, only that I jumped through the hoops to get the NRA Instructor Training certs, as well as having the authority to teach what I am certified to do so.

I do actually teach quite a bit, and the classes I teach are uploaded with my cert # and other data along with class sizes, who I taught, etc..by my CRSO, so I can maintain my certs as active. I also help with DNR stuff. All of the gory details with respect to uploading my data are handled by someone else but I've never had an issue with re-certifying so I guess the NRA does keep track of things, and MSP has never asked for more proof, etc..

It's really just hoops they want you to jump through. I'm an instructor, but there are *plenty* of guys that have never formally taught who know much more than I do. I'm only a volunteer, and don't do it for money, or for groupies, the big $$$, or the orgy parties, etc.. but I'm big on education, and spend some time every year and $$$ trying to improve my skills by taking others classes, sitting in and watching, in addition to teaching as well.

I see the instructor proof thing as just another barrier to entry into helping folks get their HQL, or their W&C, etc.. I'm not happy with the requirement, but am happy I have been able to help several hundred people get their W&C, and several multiples of that for their HQL, DNR, and NRA Basics classes, etc...

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    I did what I swore never to do - emailed MSP. If they're going to put a requirement out like that they really need to offer examples. Can't be a "we'll know it when we see it" thing.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    When I asked about this, the MSP LD asked about professional experience. I asked if a copy of a w2 dated more than a year ago worked. It did. Alternately, they said that an affidavit from my boss would have worked. I assume this is the route that people who have unpaid positions (maxv02, et al) would take.

This was a bit ago. And since I don't teach the nra curriculum, I don't really have much history with them other than helping out friends who do teach nra stuff or doing an rso class for guys at work sometimes.

Ask them if affidavits from former students would suffice. I'd guess you'd need a couple, spanning a timeframe greater than a year.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    When I asked about this, the MSP LD asked about professional experience. I asked if a copy of a w2 dated more than a year ago worked. It did. Alternately, they said that an affidavit from my boss would have worked. I assume this is the route that people who have unpaid positions (maxv02, et al) would take.

This was a bit ago. And since I don't teach the nra curriculum, I don't really have much history with them other than helping out friends who do teach nra stuff or doing an rso class for guys at work sometimes.

Ask them if affidavits from former students would suffice. I'd guess you'd need a couple, spanning a timeframe greater than a year.
    I'll see what they say - I left the question very open ended. "Please provide an example of "proof"?"

More barriers. I only want this to make it easy for friends and family to schedule their renewal training. I don't even plan to charge for it.

Batt816

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 1, 2018
    Eastern Shore
    I thought I saw a work around when I saw this. I started the application and didn’t see where they wanted proof. It appears is they want NRA certifications attached. I can’t seem to find the requirements now, when I search I end up on my incomplete application.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    I thought I saw a work around when I saw this. I started the application and didn’t see where they wanted proof. It appears is they want NRA certifications attached. I can’t seem to find the requirements now, when I search I end up on my incomplete application.
    That'd be a hell of hole in their system

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD

Item #3

1678926787401.png

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Bertfish, according to the MSP web site that is not a requirement. Go here and click on the QHI application instructions link: https://mdsp.maryland.gov/Organization/Pages/CriminalInvestigationBureau/LicensingDivision.aspx

Read page 2.

You are only required to have the NRA certification.

I'll be in the same class with you.
    AHH I think I missed the part above where it says if you aren't certified or don't have a valid certificate issued by a nationally recognized organization. The NRA cert must count as a nationally recognized organization.

Why the hell are these requirements in two separate places and worded so poorly??

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JonWayneCampbell

Latest threads

Top Bottom