• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • striperone

Feb 17, 2013
    Columbia Maryland
    Looking for something to do with my grandson (besides fishing) I have thought about getting him into shooting.

A trip to Marriottsville outdoor gun range was a good primer for us. We talked to a few shooters there which were extremely open to offer us help.
    We sat on a picknick table watching what was going to get an idea if it were something we would enjoy together. We did get a good laugh at a cat that was sleeping on the same picknick table as us without a care in the world about all the big gun noise surrounding us.
    We had started to leave and walking toward our car as someone from behind said "do you want to shoot a gun?" We stopped, turned and then he said "you can't come to a range without shooting a gun!" Well needless to say, my grandson was all over it. He then asked me if it were okay. We walked back to where he was shooting and offered my grandson a 5.56 AR-15 which was on the bench ready to shoot. My grandson's eyes were as big car tire by then. He walked thoroughly through every step to shoot the gun multiple times with the gun empty prepping my grandson. Finally he shot the gun. Six rounds. My grandson hasn't stopped thinking about it since then. I tried to hand him a measly $20.00 for the ammo used and the thrill it gave my grandson but he refused. I wish I had his name, but I will remember him for sure...

OK - enough of the gibberish. My grandson is ten, a pretty mature ten though. We've ruled out an AR-15 or "assault type" rifle simply because of availability and legislation going on. Thinking more on the lines of a rimfire .22 bolt action with clip. If we can find a really nice used Anschutz 22, it will probably the way we'll go, but open for suggestions and opinions.

Is there any "leagues" (like bowling leagues for instance) for ten year olds in .22?

Is there a "club" that will allow a ten year old in to be able to shoot at Marriottsville gun range.

Being new to this forum, can I post a "wanted" ad for a .22?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions etc...

Kingjamez

Gun Builder
    Oct 22, 2009
    Fairfax, VA
    I'd suggest talking to the range safety officer at the AGC, he can point you to a club with youth events. I've been to the AGC many times when youth events were going on. Lots of kids around 10 years old shooting 22's for score.

I just picked up a Savage Mark 2 bolt action 22 from Mark at 2a sales in Jessup. Since you posted this in "Central Maryland", 2A may not be too far from you.

I highly recommend the Savage as it's very accurate, has a good trigger and is priced right. Mark may need to order one to fit your needs, but he generally has at least something in stock. The Savage Mark 2 comes in many different flavors from cheap to expensive.

Here is a link to 2A's online store to show the wide variety (and prices) of Savage Mark 2's available: http://bit.ly/XhdM0U

Here is a link to one of my favorites: http://bit.ly/12jd9Iv (The FV-SR) it requires a scope though which will add a little to the price.

This Savage .22lr bolt action is a little cheaper and comes with iron sights (a great way to learn the fundamentals): http://bit.ly/WyQ1On

With prices that low, why buy used?

Good on you for teaching your grandson the fun of target shooting. It's a sport that breeds patients, responsibility, and pride.

-Jim

canonian

Jan 5, 2013
    Elkridge
    My son is a couple years older, and one thing I have found out quickly, no matter what gun you get make sure your kid/grand kid likes it. Seriously if they do not like the look or color it will sit. You can try to force something on them but just like buying a car, if it is red and and you hate red it will not be what you wanted. If it does not fit or feel right when held it will not be fun to shoot.

I would take him to a few places and shop. Let him hold, see, and see how they function. One will catch his eye and there ya go, that's the one.

My son loves AK-47 style, or practically anything that hints at Russian styling. His favorite .22 is an ATI GSG AK-47w 22lr. We also have a scoped ruger semi auto 10/22 that is his 2nd favorite and a S&W 15-22 his least but still used .22 Even when it comes to REAL guns he will go for the AK-47 before anything else but perhaps sniper rifle.

I am headed to freestate gun range tomorrow and would be more than happy to let him try out the .22s we have, or even another day.

What you experienced at the range is not uncommon especially when kids are involved. People are glad to help, and or offer to let you shoot their gun.

Bolts Rock

Living in Free America!
    Apr 8, 2012
    Northern Alabama
    A trip to Marriottsville outdoor gun range was a good primer for us. We talked to a few shooters there which were extremely open to offer us help.
    We sat on a picknick table watching what was going to get an idea if it were something we would enjoy together. We did get a good laugh at a cat that was sleeping on the same picknick table as us without a care in the world about all the big gun noise surrounding us.

The cat's name is Homer and he's a very mellow cat that loves to be petted.

You can't go wrong with a Savage or CZ bolt gun in .22lr. Clubs with active juniors programs at AGC that I know of are Greenebelt, Monumental and Maryland Rifle.

Last edited:

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    For beginning a Savage MKII or a Marlin XT22 with irons will do the job. I have the Marlin and like it. For a good competition rifle, look at the Kimber 82s the CMP has right now. Half the price of an Anschutz.

@canonian: Sounds like your son needs a Mosin Nagant. Soviet styling and he can play sniper.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    CZ 22LR bolt actions are beautiful. Cannot go wrong with that choice. Don't write off single-shot 22LR bolt actions. Most of them sell for cheap and they are fun. I was given (for free) a Winchester Model 68 single-shot in excellent condition and I love it. CZ aside (since it's so nice), many of the new 22 bolt actions don't hold a candle to vintage ones in very good to excellent condition.

Yes, you can post a wanted ad immediately.

striperone

Feb 17, 2013
    Columbia Maryland
    Wow, thanks for all your help guys!
    I've taken notes from all your input to help us choose a gun.

Needless to say my grandson loves the looks and feel of the "assault type" rifles and with him firing the AR-15 has made it more difficult a choice. Had it been before our precious governing bodies assaulted the assault rifles it would have most likely been our choice. With all the ridiculous political actions being taken and the added cost of ammunition, is what has lead us to more standard type .22 to get 'his feet wet'

We have been to 2A Gun Sales twice. There the closest gun shop to our house. Bass Pro wound be the next closest and then I think Clydes.

First time to 2A Gun Sales, No Ar-15's nor any .22's new or used. Second time, No AR-15's, No .22's and no ammunition for either. So its been hard to touchy-feely anything... They told me to look at the CZ line then search and buy something out of their online catalog.

Thanks for you guys offering us your guns to "try"... It is greatly appreciated and is a welcoming gesture for sure.

Our next move is to get into a club.

Shamr0ck

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2011
    Frederick
    StriperOne - Arlington's Jr Rifle team shoots year round. My daughter, who is 12, has been shooting now for just over a year.

We shoot Air Rifle 3P tournaments through the winter (practice on Sun afternoon, Wed and Thursday evenings). The Air Rifle range is in Memorial Hall (up by the trap fields). Sun practice has 2 relays; 1 from noon until 2, the other from 2 until 4. Wed and Thurs also have two relays in the 5-7, and 7-9 time frames.

Come spring, we move outside and shoot .22 for score. Practice is roughly the same schedule except we trade Sunday afternoons for Saturday mornings and shoot during the week from 5pm until dusk on Wed/Thurs.

The Club has quite a bit of kit to loan new shooters so you can explore whether this is something which grabs your grandson's fancy. The club has a range of ages, has more young ladies shooting presently than boys and some of the children have come quite far in the shooting sports. One young lady shot at Ft Benning last week :)

Please stop by and see us --

cantonglocker

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 27, 2011
    Pasadena
    AGC is a great place

BTW you might want to beg/borrow/steal and AR15 lower to give him on an older birthday. Might not be able to if you don't buy now.

4095fanatic

Paramagic
    Dec 3, 2010
    DSG has been getting .22's in intermittently according to "The Depot", and I heard they're quite a bit easier to come by in PA (such as Cabelas) though the drive might not be worth it (definitely call ahead first).

And

hutchinsonkw

Dec 18, 2012
    Central Md
    Try "On Target" in Severn. It is pretty close to Bass Pro shops. They get s&w 15-22's in stock more than any other shop I have seen.

If he would be happy with a bolt rifle Dicks Sporting goods in Glen Burnie has Savage MKII's in od green for under $300 i believe.

The gun shack in Mt Airy also has a bunch of AR style 22's last time I was there. They even had a 22 AK.

If you are up for a drive try Gun Connection or gun center (I don't remember which one it is called) in Frederick. It is right next to ft detrick. They have tons of AR style 22's in stock. From the last time I was there I remember gsg, mossberg, s&w, and I beleive a H&K or sig. It was the nicest 22 ar I have ever held but was close to $800.

Another choice could be a ruger 10-22 in a different tactical stock. That way he can "build" his rifle to make it his own. That would add a whole different coolness factor for a 10 year old.

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    I started my daughter with my scoped Ruger 10/22 and she loved it. However the scope barely holds zero, heck it was close to 30 years old I bought it when I was 18!!! So I picked up a Model 2 GLY, which is their youth model. Got it at the end of the year so she has not had a chance to shoot it yet.

I like idea of starting kids out with the basics, bolt action, iron sights. That way they have something to aspire to later on.

The one thing we had trouble with flinching from loud reports. If you ask nicely, they will allow you to shoot on the higher side of the range away from the cannons.

We are going to look at membership in one of the youth clubs as well.

BRONZ

Big Brother is Watching
    Jan 21, 2008
    Westminster, MD
    Im a rifle instructor with the Carroll County 4H HotShots. Its a youth based shooting sports program. We have shotgun, archery, air rifle, .22 rifle and muzzle loader.
    With state and national competitions.

There are also some Isaak Walton leagues around that have very good programs.

The NRA is also a good resource for finding youth clubs.

Personally I would wait to buy any rifles or equipment. Whatever club you join will help you to get what equipment your grandson will need.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    You and your grandson need to visit "rimfirecentral.com". I would suggest the CZ/BRNO section. Very well moderated, family friendly and a wealth of info. My suggestion would be a CZ Scout. You won't find them in local shops but they are one heck of a gun. As he grows, he can always buy a larger stock but many adults use them as is. Extremely accurate. Look for Bond Firearms in the sponsor sections. Mark is an ex MD cop who escaped to AZ and always gives good deals to members. I have about 15 CZ rimfires and a Scout is next in line. Out of the box an excellent gun. Less than $300 shipped I think. A more common gun to find is a Savage, another excellent and accurate gun but in my opinion a chessey feeling plastic stock. A CZ is real wood and steel.
    Duffy's in Sparks MD often gets in used Anschutz but unless you get into the higher dollar guns, none of them will out shoot a CZ.

damifinowfish

Ultimate Member
    Dec 14, 2009
    Remulak
    Most of the AGC jr's programs will have starter equipment for new kids to give this a try.

I can only speak for Arlington's Jr's, they will let you shoot with them for a month or two to see if this is the right fit for everyone. If its a good fit, then they encourage you join the club.

Stop in at the range next change you get. (on the weekend) Look up RSO Alex. He is very knowledgeable with both the Arlington and Monumental programs and if he has the time might give you the quick tour of the AGC.

I did not know Md rifle had a jr program. I guess some needs to educate me on this one.

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    Psa has had 15-22s a lot recently for 499
    Savage MKII is also a very nice rifle and if uou can find the version with the target sights I think that's ever better to start him off with.
    Lastly as someone mentioned above a Kimber 82G from the CMP for 450 is very hard to pass up and will compete with rifles twice the cost all day long. It does come withbtarget sights but some people also scope them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom