• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phenamunan

Jan 29, 2009
    Brooklyn Park, MD
    I was at a shop the other day and heard about an agency switching springs to a 12 pound trigger in a DA only weapon. Have you guys heard anything like this? I can understand the logic of reducing accidental discharges, but I would think having such a heavy trigger would decrease accuracy and make it harder to qualify come range day.

tdt91

I will miss you my friend
    Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon
    This is why they created the S&W40/9 VE. It has a heavy trigger but with practice can be managed. I shoot pretty good with mine and I like it for the reason you stated. Just in case I get excited and my hands tense in a situation. Not that I'll ever be in one but you never know in Obummers world.

olddawg

Feb 3, 2011
    Harford County
    Yep. When we converted from revolvers to the glock back in the day our PD installed what they called the NYPD trigger to supposedly prevent us from shooting ourselves. Pretty sure it was a 12 pound trigger. I'd assume a lot of agencies are still doing that.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I bought a police trade in G22 that had a NY trigger. I immediately swapped it out.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    Why not just get a DA/SA gun if thats what you're worried about? My P226 has something like a 10lb DA pull and a 4lb SA pull. It's pretty hand to accidentally shoot the DA.

Neot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2009
    South County
    There's a method to the madness of a heavy first trigger press in a DA/SA. With my agency's SIG229 there is no safety, so it has a 12lb/4lb DA/SA press to ensure that you're deliberately making the decision to press the trigger.

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana
    Yep. When we converted from revolvers to the glock back in the day our PD installed what they called the NYPD trigger to supposedly prevent us from shooting ourselves. Pretty sure it was a 12 pound trigger. I'd assume a lot of agencies are still doing that.

The Glock NY Trigger was invented and installed by glock in NYC because small men / women were limp wristing there pistols and the guns were short cycleing. With a 12 lbs trigger the shooter must have a firm hold of the weapon in order to fire it.

Last edited:

Nemesis

Russian Grizzly Adams
    Oct 3, 2009
    Martinsburg, WV
    I was at a shop the other day and heard about an agency switching springs to a 12 pound trigger in a DA only weapon. Have you guys heard anything like this? I can understand the logic of reducing accidental discharges, but I would think having such a heavy trigger would decrease accuracy and make it harder to qualify come range day.

Are you sure they were not talking about replacing the main spring (hammer spring) with a 12 pound spring? Most guns come with 19-22 pound main springs, reducing the strength of this spring lightens both da and sa pull. I just recently did this in my 92a1...replaced the 20# with a 17# with 3 coils removed. Both the da and sa are half the weight of stock, and i still get 100% primer ignition. The famed D spring is a 16 pound spring, and some people will run a 13# 1911 main spring in 92s, though ignition of hard primers becomes questionable at such a low weight.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    The Glock NY Trigger was invented and installed by glock in NYC because small men / women were limp wristing there pistols and the guns were short cycleing. With a 12 lbs trigger the shooter must have a firm hold of the wepon in order to fire it.

Everyone from NY has a limp wrist.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    roth405

Latest threads

Top Bottom