• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • camobob

Feb 18, 2013
    Thinking about a trip in Feb/March after duck season. I figure 2-3 nights - Anybody have any advice on a good place?

wasntme

Jun 10, 2012
    Yea go to south Carolina, try waccamaw hunting services their right outside of myrtle beach. Owners name is Rick. Myself and 3-4 other friends go every year always stay for 3 days, we always bring back a minimum of 1 per person, but most of the time it's 2-3 per person. If your interested we plan on announcing when we go as we figure the more the merrier, we normally go twice a year feb-mar and may-july (for the night hunt hehehe)

Here's his website:

http://www.huntinglodge.net/

wasntme

Jun 10, 2012
    We also go to exotic island hunts in Pa. in late fall for their hog hunts, only downfall is it's considered high fence cause their released on a private island in the middle of the Susquehanna river, upside is they are real tasty!!

G20

Feb 18, 2013
    We also go to exotic island hunts in Pa. in late fall for their hog hunts, only downfall is it's considered high fence cause their released on a private island in the middle of the Susquehanna river, upside is they are real tasty!!

That's close by too! How many acres is the island and are there any weapon restrictions?

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    I have a buddy who hunts them at Back Bay NWR in False Cape State Park in Virginia. Seems to be a nice setup there with plenty of quality pork. I don't know particular you are about hunting the Carolina's, but, Virginia has pigs too.

As far as that is concerned. See here:
    HuntWildPig.com - South Carolina

Legal Method of Take: Weapons allowed to hunt hogs in South Carolina are: archery, crossbow, center fire rifles, muzzleloaders, handguns, and shot guns with slugs.

They left out hand grenades, rocket launchers, machine guns, and anti-tank missile defense weapons.

Dogs: Up to 4 dogs (either catch or bay) may be used to hunt hogs in South Carolina per hunting party.

Night Time Hunting: On private land yes, on public WMA’s no.

Baiting: Yes, on private only.

Summary: Wild hogs are extremely prevalent in South Carolina, with few restrictions on hunting them. Something to keep in mind is that you’ll need either a blaze orange hat, vest, or coat while hunting on WMA’s. If you look below in resources, you’ll find a hog distribution map which shows most hogs in dense populations around water sources. Because of the low entry cost, and dense hog populations, South Carolina is one of the best states to hunt wild pig.

camobob

Feb 18, 2013
    Great replies - thanks!
    The guy I'm going with has done the island hunt - He said it was cool but a lot like hunting in the petting zoo. PA seems to have a lot of cool spots, I'm just not sure about the seasons or the weather in Feb. South Carolina would be my choice for sure except for travel time. I was hoping NC would be a good compromise. What makes SC so much better than NC??

wasntme

Jun 10, 2012
    That's close by too! How many acres is the island and are there any weapon restrictions?

Im not sure how many acres but its about 1/2 mile long and about 600 yards wide, no weapon restrictions, except no spears and no knife hunting, must be a bow or firearm .223 or larger

wasntme

Jun 10, 2012
    Great replies - thanks!
    The guy I'm going with has done the island hunt - He said it was cool but a lot like hunting in the petting zoo. PA seems to have a lot of cool spots, I'm just not sure about the seasons or the weather in Feb. South Carolina would be my choice for sure except for travel time. I was hoping NC would be a good compromise. What makes SC so much better than NC??

Petting Zoo......lol. I've been there 3 times..... once ran up a tree the other two times walked around for 4+ hours to find the pigs. Much more pigs and the guides seem to be a lot better.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    I know you said NC

Try Blue Ghost Outfitters in GA

Night hunts with night vision

Day hunts over dogs with knife

Joey and his brother Dean will give you more than your money's worth.

They hunt hard. They have several thousand acres....multiple farms. We saw about fifty pigs in one night. We killed nine. One was a trophy...over 300 lbs.

The day/dog/knife hunt will get your heart beating but good.

G20

Feb 18, 2013
    I have a buddy who hunts them at Back Bay NWR in False Cape State Park in Virginia. Seems to be a nice setup there with plenty of quality pork. I don't know particular you are about hunting the Carolina's, but, Virginia has pigs too.

False Cape Park looks promising, although it looks like it's a lottery system. Can you hunt hogs at that VA park with a .225/.556? In otherwords, can I hunt with my AR?

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life

Im not sure how many acres but its about 1/2 mile long and about 600 yards wide, no weapon restrictions, except no spears and no knife hunting, must be a bow or firearm .223 or larger

I was told, "No shotguns." (No slugs. No buckshot.) I used a Marlin 1895G in .45-70. :thumbsup:

I hunted there in 2011, and it was good fun.
    Get yourself a good pair of hunting boots. (When it rains..... it gets MUDDY!!)

I took a hog that weighed in at 320+ lbs. (Guide estimated it at 365lbs. on-the-hoof.)
    It FILLED a small deepfreeze!

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    Those island hunt hogs appear to be domestic hogs that were likely allowed to free range a little before being let loose on the island. They are not feral hogs in the true sense. Big ears, short snouts, more fat than a true feral...but I've hear the meat is very good. Any hog allowed to free range some will be tasty. Rooting around, eating acorns, etc. Just like full free ranged hen's eggs taste way better than factory farm caged hen eggs.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    Those island hunt hogs appear to be domestic hogs that were likely allowed to free range a little before being let loose on the island. They are not feral hogs in the true sense. Big ears, short snouts, more fat than a true feral...but I've hear the meat is very good. Any hog allowed to free range some will be tasty. Rooting around, eating acorns, etc. Just like full free ranged hen's eggs taste way better than factory farm caged hen eggs.

I promise you this is some good-eatin'!!!!

These are called 'wild hogs' not 'wild boar'.
    Still...... for the amount of meat vs. what I paid to get it, (and didn't have to go to work that day!), it was a good day afield, even though we had a light drizzle, the whole time.

Good eatin' hogs.

Bring "Hunter Orange". That is mandatory.
    Bring "Muck Boots" or equivalent. Make sure they aren't the 'work boot' type.
    You will need a 'lugged sole' boot.
    I wore a pair of those work boots, and my old, fat _ _ _ slid around some.:D

Here's a pic of my hog, hanging at the butcher -

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tse3gbs

Latest threads

Top Bottom