• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LeeMD

Dec 10, 2010
    Howard County
    If I am posting in the wrong section, I apologize in advance. After Oct. 1st, can my wife still shoot my firearm at range since I made the original purchase? According to the new law, transfer of firearm will need to include an internal lock and does that apply to transferring to a range as well? Additional, I got a buddy visiting me from Italy and I was going to take him to the range. Can he go?

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    Should not be a problem. Ownership is not being relinquished and you'll be present anyhow.

MagnumFarce

May 3, 2013
    Centreville, MD
    If I am posting in the wrong section, I apologize in advance. After Oct. 1st, can my wife still shoot my firearm at range since I made the original purchase? According to the new law, transfer of firearm will need to include an internal lock and does that apply to transferring to a range as well? Additional, I got a buddy visiting me from Italy and I was going to take him to the range. Can he go?

Lending someone a gun is not a transfer. A transfer is a change of ownership. If you are allowing someone to use your gun at a range then you are fine.

Rapture

Total Loser
    Jun 5, 2013
    In the woods
    I asked this very question a week ago and was told that my wife could shoot my "banned weapon" at the range. I think I may have to contact MSP on this one, if they even know the answer.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    I asked this very question a week ago and was told that my wife could shoot my "banned weapon" at the range. I think I may have to contact MSP on this one, if they even know the answer.

The MSP is the LAST people you will get a straight answer out of. For the most part they don't have a handle on the existing laws.

You can let anyone shoot anything you have at the range. Change of ownership is where you will have a problem.

bg71361

Apr 30, 2012
    From MDSP site;

Unless otherwise exempt, as of October 1, 2013, a person must possess a valid Handgun Qualification License before they may purchase, rent, or receive a handgun. Details on exemptions may be found below. You do not need a Handgun Qualification License to own a gun you already have. The Handgun Qualification License is only needed for purchasing, transferring, or renting a regulated firearm after October 1, 2013.

page;

https://www.mdsp.org/Organization/S...ion/Firearms/HandgunQualificationLicense.aspx

LeeMD

Dec 10, 2010
    Howard County
    From MDSP site;

Unless otherwise exempt, as of October 1, 2013, a person must possess a valid Handgun Qualification License before they may purchase, rent, or receive a handgun. Details on exemptions may be found below. You do not need a Handgun Qualification License to own a gun you already have. The Handgun Qualification License is only needed for purchasing, transferring, or renting a regulated firearm after October 1, 2013.

page;

https://www.mdsp.org/Organization/S...ion/Firearms/HandgunQualificationLicense.aspx

Then the range I called today is misinterpreting this new law then, they think letting my wife use the handgun is classify as "renting."

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Then the range I called today is misinterpreting this new law then, they think letting my wife use the handgun is classify as "renting."

From my understanding of this fiasco, the renting they are referring to is renting a gun and taking it off the premises.
    I have no idea where that even happens?

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍

Renting is defined as removing the firearm from property. Think hunting rental.

bg71361

Apr 30, 2012
    From my understanding of this fiasco, the renting they are referring to is renting a gun and taking it off the premises.
    I have no idea where that even happens?

Fiasco is right, and how does "or receive a handgun" play into it??? What's the definition of "receive" as MDSP understands it??

Speaking of definitions: I did not have "sex" with that woman.....

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    So, someone can still "rent" a gun from the range and use it in the facility?
    I'm pretty sure. At first I thought what you did.
    A rule like that would put every range in the state out of business.

jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick
    So, someone can still "rent" a gun from the range and use it in the facility?

Yes, rent is specifically defined as leaving the premises.

I don't know what the Maryland term is for being at a range and borrowing their gun in exchange for money:innocent0

Mr Bear

Ultimate Member
    Jan 17, 2013
    Maryland

Here's something I stumbled across...some ranges won't allow non-US citizens to shoot on their ranges (for ex., Continental). Your wife shooting a gun you owned prior to 10/1 is not a problem. Your Italian friend on the other hand, may have a problem depending on where you go to shoot. Call first.

marko12

Sep 28, 2009
    Maryland, on the Chesapeake Bay
    Fiasco is right, and how does "or receive a handgun" play into it??? What's the definition of "receive" as MDSP understands it??

Bingo, this is the word that confuses almost everyone "Receive" ! If I hand you a pistol at the range then you "Receive" it, which is NOT what is meant by this supposed law.

Deceptive wording, YES !

daggo66

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2013
    Glen Burnie

Exactly how would they know that it isn't her gun to begin with? Less talking = more better.

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    Bingo, this is the word that confuses almost everyone "Receive" ! If I hand you a pistol at the range then you "Receive" it, which is NOT what is meant by this supposed law.

Deceptive wording, YES !

"receive" is not defined in SB281
    "receive" is not defined in Md Annotated Code
    "receive" is not defined in COMAR

The way I understand it, lawyers do local searches and continue upwards until they find the definition. Black's law dictionary (the generally accepted legal dictionary) says this: RECEIVE: To take into possession and control; accept custody of; collect.

On the other hand, Rent is defined in SB281 as follows:

“Rent” means the temporary transfer for consideration of a that is taken from the property of the owner of the regulated firearm.

campns

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2013
    Germantown, MD
    i was wondering how this was going to affect ranges that rent guns with a cleaning fee... ie Gilberts in rockville, where the cleaning fee is a joke as they never ever clean those things and then complain if you use the slide release.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom