• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • River Mud

Mar 19, 2013
    Then the range I called today is misinterpreting this new law then, they think letting my wife use the handgun is classify as "renting."

Let me lay it out for you and everyone else, and this is coming from someone who does not believe that a "systemic mass (direct) disarmanent" will ever occur, or is planned.....

MSP is going to heap a new pile of regulations on range operators, including an overly broad definition of "receiving" a regulated or banned weapon, which will result in many public range officers needing to inspect your weapon (their range, their prerogative), possibly verify your weapon's serial number, verify ownership, etc. It's a great case of disarmanent by intimidation, and as I've said on this forum numerous times, MSP is what we call a "bad actor" in this, as they keep telling us, "Aww shucks, we're trying our best to preserve your rights" while planning to limit them to the extent defendable in court.

elwojo

File not found: M:/Liberty.exe
    Dec 23, 2012
    Baltimore, Maryland
    So - I have a friend who has a couple of 22lr handguns that I ****ing love. I don't have an HQL (obviously) ... but can I take them to the range without him present? Is that renting? Is that receiving?

I am guessing it is in the gray area of "receiving" - but...is it renting?

Mr Bear

Ultimate Member
    Jan 17, 2013
    Maryland
    So - I have a friend who has a couple of 22lr handguns that I ****ing love. I don't have an HQL (obviously) ... but can I take them to the range without him present? Is that renting? Is that receiving?

I am guessing it is in the gray area of "receiving" - but...is it renting?

No, it is not renting. The ownership of the firearm is not changing, as this comes under the realm of temporary use. The HQL is not required to borrow or temporarily use someone else's firearm.

elwojo

File not found: M:/Liberty.exe
    Dec 23, 2012
    Baltimore, Maryland
    No, it is not renting. The ownership of the firearm is not changing, as this comes under the realm of temporary use. The HQL is not required to borrow or temporarily use someone else's firearm.

I don't know if I can believe this or not. Seems quite ambiguously stated in the law:

“Rent” means the temporary transfer for consideration of a regulated firearm that is taken from the property of the owner of the regulated firearm.

If I am taking it from my friend's house to the range and back, I have definitely fulfilled all of the above. I know that to be safe, I should have an HQL (or more definitively put: he should make sure that I have an HQL)...but is there some hidden meaning behind these words that legally allows me to continue borrowing his 22s?

Benanov

PM Bomber
    May 15, 2013
    Shrewsbury, PA
    I don't know if I can believe this or not. Seems quite ambiguously stated in the law:

If I am taking it from my friend's house to the range and back, I have definitely fulfilled all of the above. I know that to be safe, I should have an HQL (or more definitively put: he should make sure that I have an HQL)...but is there some hidden meaning behind these words that legally allows me to continue borrowing his 22s?

You missed "for consideration" - I would take this mean you paid for the rental.

FreeState

Ultimate Member
    Oct 31, 2010
    White Marsh
    A shooter can rent (pay for the temporary on our site) of a FreeState firearm. No matter if they are a MD resident, US citizen or a foreign visitor as long as they have a valid ID. A passport is a valid ID.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    From the Summary on Final SB281 thread:

In an email dated Sept. 16, 2013, MSP Lt. John Cook said, "A HQL would not be needed for Scenario 1 (temporary receipt for purposes of informal instruction or sporting purposes) and Scenario 2 (bona fide loans)."

And the law clearly states that rental, for purposes of the HQL is defined as taking the firearm from the premises of the owner. So ranges can still rent handguns to be shot at their range. But you cannot rent a handgun to someone to take to a different range.

As per above quote, a bona fide loan is OK without HQL.

So you can take your wife or a friend or anyone to a range and let them shoot anything you legally own. You can lend you wife or friend a firearm to take to the range to shoot. You cannot RENT it to them to take to the range to shoot.

BRONZ

Big Brother is Watching
    Jan 21, 2008
    Westminster, MD
    When is the last time anybody has seen a trooper in official end capacity at a gun range.
    Right never happens. And they ALMOST know the new 281company laws.

The problem is going to be local, city and DNR where the problem ia going to be.
    Say it wont happen.

Mrytle Grove has had DNR ask to see serial numbers before along with range permits.

That is were the problem is going to be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    incase

Latest threads

Top Bottom