• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    Is anyone using these? I like the compact form, ADM mount, and other features (USB-C, etc.). I'd like to try out thermal, but I don't want to drop a ton of $$ at this point, as the tech is constantly improving. Not sure what my use case is exactly. I don't do any nighttime hunting, but I'd like to do some nighttime target shooting and scan fields/woods. Any feedback or other suggestions are welcome.

Last edited:

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    When I was at SHOT in January I looked at just about every thermal optic there was and decided the AGM Rattler or Adder is where i was going to spend my money.

There are thermals out there that are nicer with better features, but of course they cost a lot more too. I think AGM was the best value for the money for someone getting into to thermal.

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    I have the ts35-384 great optic for the money. Blows away the older pulsar thermion xm30 I used before getting the rattler. I have it mounted to an ar15 and it fits that application perfectly.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I went with a Super Hogster R a couple of years ago…better reviews

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    I went with a Super Hogster R a couple of years ago…better reviews
    That is not in my budget right now...or in the foreseeable future :o

With my Amazon points (and maybe their payment plan), the Rattler TS25-256 could be. I could maybe sneak into the TS25-384 if I was convinced the extra resolution was worth it...but I really can't do more than that. :(

I had been under the impression that ATN was the bees knees, but that doesn't seem to be the case (and...$$$)

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air

With my Amazon points (and maybe their payment plan), the Rattler TS25-256 could be. I could maybe sneak into the TS25-384 if I was convinced the extra resolution was worth it...but I really can't do more than that. :(

I had been under the impression that ATN was the bees knees, but that doesn't seem to be the case (and...$$$)
    Nothing wrong with ATN. There are better.

PayPal credit does 24 months 0% financing every now and then. It’s how I keep the wife happy.

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv

You'll never be disappointed going with as high a resolution as you can afford with a thermal. The difference between 256 and 384 is quite noticeable. I'm waiting for black Friday sales in a few months to see of the taipans go on sale. I'm tired of scanning with the rifle.

Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    If you could only have one unit,, would it be a scope mounted, or a handheld for general surveillance?

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    If you could only have one unit,, would it be a scope mounted, or a handheld for general surveillance?
    What do you want to do with it? You can use a scope as a handheld unit, but you can’t use a handheld unit to kill critters in the dark….

Afrikeber

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Urbana, Md.
    Noticing a wide range of price on Amazon which tells me some vendors may be questionable. Anyone k ow a reputable vendor that can be trusted with these Rattlers?

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    I just bought the 256 taipan and it's awesome. Easy recognition of deer at 200 yards.

There's a clip-on rattler that looks like the best option for my next scope. You can use the same rifle, day or night, just add the thermal up front. Perfect for a predator rifle.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

Not sure what your budget is, but they've lowered their prices. The TS35 384(what I just bought) was $2500 and is now $2100

Amazon product ASIN B08TCKTS3T

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Not sure what your budget is, but they've lowered their prices. The TS35 384(what I just bought) was $2500 and is now $2100

Amazon product ASIN B08TCKTS3T
    I don't even know what my budget is...other than it is not the $3k Super Hogster that Doc T recommended :o. Honestly, it's not a purchase that is sanctioned under any budget, so I have to be extra careful. As much as I should get away from Amazon...that is indeed where I'll probably be shopping. I have almost $300 in points saved up and most things offer my Amazon card some sort of interest free financing (some are 4 monthly payments, some are 12...with no apparent rhyme or reason as to which is which). Making a $1k-2K purchase will get me $50-$100 more points...so Amazon it is :/

Honestly, I don't even have a real justifiable need. There's some enemy activity in the back woods that I would like to watch. I could just need a monocular...but I figured if I'm going to shell out the $ for that, for not a whole lot more I could get something that would work as a monocular but also then be mounted on a rifle. That makes it a smart, multi-purpose investment, right? :shrug:

I absolutely understand "buy once, cry once," but I do have to put some real world limitations on the amount of crying right now :o

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I don't even know what my budget is...other than it is not the $3k Super Hogster that Doc T recommended :o. Honestly, it's not a purchase that is sanctioned under any budget, so I have to be extra careful. As much as I should get away from Amazon...that is indeed where I'll probably be shopping. I have almost $300 in points saved up and most things offer my Amazon card some sort of interest free financing (some are 4 monthly payments, some are 12...with no apparent rhyme or reason as to which is which). Making a $1k-2K purchase will get me $50-$100 more points...so Amazon it is :/

Honestly, I don't even have a real justifiable need. There's some enemy activity in the back woods that I would like to watch. I could just need a monocular...but I figured if I'm going to shell out the $ for that, for not a whole lot more I could get something that would work as a monocular but also then be mounted on a rifle. That makes it a smart, multi-purpose investment, right? :shrug:

I absolutely understand "buy once, cry once," but I do have to put some real world limitations on the amount of crying right now :o
    In my case, it is my retirement gift from me to me. The Missuz gave me a $2k limit and thankfully AGM's prices came down at the right time. I've been watching them for most of the year.

For you, figure out what kind of ranges you'll most likely be faced with and buy accordingly. Do a lot of reading up too.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    For $4k USD, you can have it all: the iRay RH25.

It does everything you want in a thermal unit:
    1. Weapon sight
    2. Clip-on for your weapn
    3. Helmet use
    4. Handheld monocular

It also has a very good interface for quickly switching between these uses.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom