• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Afrikeber

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Urbana, Md.
    For $4k USD, you can have it all: the iRay RH25.

It does everything you want in a thermal unit:
    1. Weapon sight
    2. Clip-on for your weapn
    3. Helmet use
    4. Handheld monocular

It also has a very good interface for quickly switching between these uses.
    Interesting, so while using on helmet, handheld etc. after being on your firearm and bore sighted and zeroed in do you have to redo your bore sighting?

Never interchanged a mounted scope that was zeroed in like that before

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Interesting, so while using on helmet, handheld etc. after being on your firearm and bore sighted and zeroed in do you have to redo your bore sighting?

My understanding is that you switch modes within the monocular, and it retains the settings from the mode. So as long as you weren't switching guns inside of a mode, it'd keep working. Check the manual, page 10 of the PDF:

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air

My Super Hogster R has 5 "memory" settings so you can zero it on 5 different guns and move it around. I haven't tried it, but folks on the interwebz report it holds zero nicely. I'd imagine this can do the same thing with a good mount.

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    I just bought the 256 taipan and it's awesome. Easy recognition of deer at 200 yards.
    The 256 taipan will probably be what I get next. How far will it detect a dog size animal? I can always Id with the higher resolution rattler but I need detection to atleast 350yds. We get shots across fields in the winter where they like to hang up on the far edge of the woods and there is no sneaking across a wide open field to get closer with wiley looking your direction.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    I haven't tried that far yet, but I'll be out at the farm in a few weeks and will report back. I think at 350 it's probably just a small blob.

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    Noticing a wide range of price on Amazon which tells me some vendors may be questionable. Anyone k ow a reputable vendor that can be trusted with these Rattlers?

I’ve used these guys for my thermal purchases. Call them/go to their Facebook page (same name) and ask any question you want and they will recommend a few things.
    I can’t speak to their customer service, as my stuff hasn’t had any issues - but going through a dealer like this helps as you send your item to them and they deal with the manufacturer for you.

Just know your budget and what you plan to use the thermal for, or they really can’t help you out.

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    I haven't tried that far yet, but I'll be out at the farm in a few weeks and will report back. I think at 350 it's probably just a small blob.
    Your probably right my old pulsar was 255 it detects out pretty far but it all just looks like a blob once you get past 250yds or so. Still might be all I need in monocular though. I might make the trip up to Europtic in PA one day and see if they'll let me look through a couple.

Wsanner

Sep 19, 2012
    Ive been in the thermal game for a few years now. Im in a lot deeper than I will ever let my wife know. Resolution is the key. If you can swing it, get the higher resolution. Right now, I have 2 scanners and 2 scopes. The scopes are 640 and crystal clear. I can identify out to 6-700 yards. The scanners are both 384. They leave a little to be desired, but work pretty good for normal use out to around 300 yards. If you want to put your hands on one, East coast Thermal and Night vision is md based and usually keeps a good assortment around and his prices seem to be pretty comparable to internet pricing.

BrianS

Apr 26, 2010
    Which do people usually get first? Thermal or night vision? I plan on getting both but need to space out those big purchases.

Wsanner

Sep 19, 2012
    I would say that most go nv first just because of the cost. As far as scopes, You can get into the nv game for under $1k. But thermal is going to start you off at least double that. I suggest trying to put your hands on both before you purchase. I am a thermal fan. I can watch animals in thick brush move around where my nv buddies have to wait to see eyes in the ir to shoot at a distance.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Seems the end application determines which you should get first. Want to walk around at night? NV. Use them around the house for security? Prob NV. Want to hunt in the dark? Thermal.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Amazon has a few Rattlers 15-19% off for prime day. I had one in my cart, and chickened out at the last minute. I can agonize over it all day tomorrow, I guess. :tap:

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Amazon has a few Rattlers 15-19% off for prime day. I had one in my cart, and chickened out at the last minute. I can agonize over it all day tomorrow, I guess. :tap:
    Shee-it, I had one in my 'cart' since last winter? It finally came down in price to fit my budget.
    Best of luck Art.

Last edited:

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Shee-it, I had one in my 'cart' since last winter? It finally came down in price to fit my budget.
    Best of luck Art.
    You mean you just ordered it now? That's great! :party29:

I didn't :o. Half of them were no longer Prime Day Deals today :(...the big one was...but I just couldn't. :sad20:

As much as I really want one, right now I just don't have expendable income for that big of a want, or enough of a need to justify calling it a need. I could have gotten away with the lowest end one at the Prime Day price, especially if I cashed in all my points...but I'm really worried that I'll regret not getting the better resolution.

Maybe they'll be on sale for Cyber Monday. I'll have even more points to cash in then :D

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    You mean you just ordered it now? That's great! :party29:

I didn't :o. Half of them were no longer Prime Day Deals today :(...the big one was...but I just couldn't. :sad20:

As much as I really want one, right now I just don't have expendable income for that big of a want, or enough of a need to justify calling it a need. I could have gotten away with the lowest end one at the Prime Day price, especially if I cashed in all my points...but I'm really worried that I'll regret not getting the better resolution.

Maybe they'll be on sale for Cyber Monday. I'll have even more points to cash in then :D

I want one too, but your restraint reminded me to resist the urge. With a major career/life changes on the near horizon, I need to train my brain that I do not have any discretionary income right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom