• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • midcountyg

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2009
    Preston, MD
    Depending how bad he hurt the pin, it can maybe be reused. If not a new pin of some sort could be made. All the pin does is hold the piece that retains the forearm. A solid pin with a light press fit will work, as you rarely need to remove the forearm.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    $25 in parts will get it back to normal. A new gas tube is an easy fix. The pin holding the handguard retainer isn't too hard to replace either; it's just peened on one side to hold it in place. Depending on what he did to the old retainer pin, you may be able to re-use it. I've removed and replaced them before.

You'll have to live with the other damage to the handguard retainer unless you want to go through the hassle of pressing off the front sight and gas block. But the parts he cut off won't affect function once you get a pin back in.

G O B

Ultimate Member
    Nov 17, 2007
    Cen TX
    A new gas tube and handguard retainer and all is well. Get together with someone who has done a build or two, not a big deal to fix. Nothing unsafe about the way it is, damage is mostly fugglyness.

ar15dave

AR15Dave
    Jun 10, 2008
    Monrovia, MD
    Thanks. he is getting a new gas tube for it and the missing pin he actually still has. He grounded his dad and took his tool privilages away for a month.

BTW, alcohol was not involved until AFTER the damage was discovered... :rolleyes:

The AK is a WASR I beilieve. Like I said it is not mine.

Thanks for all the input and help.

Dave

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Its cosmetic, a new gas-tube, a little smoothing on the lower band and it will be an ok shooter with a few blems (have you seen some of the blems out of factory WASRs thats nothing).

Just dont let this guy gun smith again, when things dont work easily at least consult the internet for solutions!

Fionnros

Fight Crime, Shoot Back!
    Apr 15, 2011
    Harford County
    Thanks. he is getting a new gas tube for it and the missing pin he actually still has. He grounded his dad and took his tool privilages away for a month.

BTW, alcohol was not involved until AFTER the damage was discovered... :rolleyes:

The AK is a WASR I beilieve. Like I said it is not mine.

Thanks for all the input and help.

Dave

Yeah, I'd start drinking after that too. :shocked4:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Imetthevarmit

Latest threads

Top Bottom