• ...and so much more!
  • Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    Well, maybe we should do 2 builds.

#1 for people who want to build from a flat. This would be a day long event, bending, heat treating, and welding the rails. Num has a hook up on the bending jig, i am willing to donate my press and spot welder. The spot welder will need new tongs(approx $20). If Num is up for it he can lead.

#2 for people who want to build a rifle from a 100% reciever, or already have their flat bent/welded/treated. Have your kit demilled already( it is time comsuming), or do a pre build de-mill day. I recommend doing a de-mill day, because sometime you will need a press to remove a barrel pin, and a drill press really helps to de-mill.
    People can weld, or rivet, or screw. The choice is their's, depending on the equiptment we can gather.
    I would gladly buy a plinkers rivet jig to share, because the finished product is sweet looking. I would also bring other tools. I have everything except the $150 rivet jig at this point.

DD214

Founder
    Apr 26, 2005
    St Mary's County
    After all of the "how can we do it", "I think I can do it", screws, weld, rivets, toothpicks, etc., etc., etc., I'm definitely leaning towards the 100% receivers. If we decide on the 80%, then I'm going to go pick up a Costco size bottle of Tylenol.

**edit** After reading #2 above, I think I'm going to need the Tylenol either way.

Numidian

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 25, 2007
    Shrewsbury, PA
    Well, maybe we should do 2 builds.

#1 for people who want to build from a flat. This would be a day long event, bending, heat treating, and welding the rails. Num has a hook up on the bending jig, i am willing to donate my press and spot welder. The spot welder will need new tongs(approx $20). If Num is up for it he can lead.

I've already got a press and I don't have a spot welder, but I have an actual welder (stick and mig, just the mig is busted...need to drop it off and see if it can be repaired).

The one thing I do need is a torch, but even that I could borrow from a friend.

If people wanted, when I get the jig (which will be sometime in January) we could have just a flat bending day...bend the flats, get the rails in and heat treat.

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    I've been looking around for parts kits and the best I've found are about 120 bucks for a Romy and 299 for an Underfolder. Anyone find any better deals out there?

With the barrel ban in effect, I figure now is the time to start shopping....

All the distributors are talking like this is the end of the kits, I wonder how much of that is just for driving the price up?

Dave

Last edited:

JCB003

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2007
    I have a portable oxy/acetylene tote burning rig. They don't last long though. The receivers are thin...maybe better to get some of those Bernzomatic burners from Home Depot.

I would still rather build from a 100% receiver first. Then maybe step up to bending flats. Might be better for me at least to eliminate one problem on my first build.

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    Well,

Parts kits are on their way! 1 standard Romy g and 1 Romy G with a hungarian underfolder. this should be a lot of fun. I can't wait for the new year (and I better get my md collector paper in so I can get both receivers at once

Now to read and re read the build threads....

Dave

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    I got the Romy's from classic arms, $129, primarily because of his reputation- when he says excellent condition, he's serious about it and stands behind it.

I got the amms underfolder stock separately from http://ak-47s.com

The stock alone was $100. I was told the front trunions are the same, so a receiver for the hungarian amms was all I'd need to finish the romy parts kit with it.

He has several different underfolders including Yugo's but they have "dark bores". My concerns about getting a bad barrel led me to Classic Arms.

did I do bad?

Dave

Numidian

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 25, 2007
    Shrewsbury, PA
    Thats about going rate for stock with trunnion... Parts kits are usually $130 w/ g2 trigger group, but if you trust them, then thats worth something I suppose

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    That used to be their price as well, but everything is creeping up. The best I could find was 114, no trigger group, and no hand pick. The import restriction has really dried up the kit supply. Everyone I have talked to is limited to stock on hand, except for http://dpharms.com/ which has a new shipment being sorted- no word on barrels or not.

http://www.armsofamerica.com/partskits.html has kits with all compliance parts for 149. That's about $10 less than what I paid. (i bought the trigger group and intend to hand make a stock for the full size AK, and the front stock & gas cylinder cover for the folder). I also plan on using the Tabuk flash hider from Nodak spud.

Dave

Here is a thread on holding a build party:

http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29337

Last edited:

biermkr

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2007
    Almost Heaven
    Is the group buy still going forward? Is it only a group buy for the receivers?
    Are we to buy our own parts kits? Holy S**T someone pass the Tylenol!!

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    I was under the impression that it was a group buy on the receivers and a build party for the rest. Specifically we were looking to save money on the receivers and the FFL transfer if possible. However, looking at the price breakdown the best we can do on the receivers will be <$10, and then whatever we save on shipping and FFL.

The most important bit I think is sharing the knowledge on how to build them and the tools needed to get the job done, but I may be wrong.

If people were interested in doing a group buy on parts kits you could try that as well. The supply on them is limited so it's best to think about that sooner than later.

Based on the information I've seen on the other AK boards prices on parts kits have climbed about 25-30% in the last 90 days, from $95 to $130.

I've just started learning about this so I may have missed something. It sounds like Numidian and others have more experience with this than I do.

Dave

nighthawk2099

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2006
    Backwoods, SouthWest Arkansas
    To me (since the Gov already has a database on me because of my C&R and MD Collector Status) I'd like to put a vote in for 100%.

I'd like to just take the old stuff off, put the new stuff on and go shoot. Also, seems like a safer way to go about doing it. All it takes is one :asshat: from BATF to miss interpret something, that would ruin everyone's day. I know what the regs say about 80% builds, but we also know the Goberment "LIES".

I'm also sure we don't want to promote something on the forum that might make DD214 loose sleep. From the other post DD214 put up, I'm sure he would feel better and be more than happy to allow the forum to be used to "promote", as it were, the first MDSF AK build party, as well as the group buy.

So with that, I vote we go 100% with the MDSF-2099 and MDSF-2199 as my 2 receivers (if we take the engraved route). Otherwise, just put me down for 2. :party29:

I'm just not sure about the kits. Can we get a group buy on these (with a good price)?

biermkr

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2007
    Almost Heaven
    J+G Sales has Romanian Kits for 119.95 + 15.12 shipping charge (only 19.77 for two kits)
    Only two reviews were negative. i have not done any business with them maybe someone has?

DD214

Founder
    Apr 26, 2005
    St Mary's County
    If we are going to do this through the forum, I'm going to ask that it is done with 100% receivers only. I don't want to take the chance of this somehow coming back to haunt me or the community, especially since our plans are broadcast to all of humanity. Lest anyone think that I'm using my position to get the build that I want, I will remove myself from the list and not participate. I just want to make sure that all bases are covered and no one can get hit unexpectedly by the BATFE hammer. If anyone wants to do an 80% build, then do it through email. Thanks for your understanding.

Last edited:

gibby

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2007
    Bel Air, MD
    I see no reason for you to pull out of the buy. I am in for a 100 % receiver buy. Anyone that wants to do a 80%, lets do it off line of the site. Whos receivers are we getting? Whos got the best deal on parts kits?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Scot2024

Latest threads

Top Bottom