• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Numidian

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 25, 2007
    Shrewsbury, PA
    I was under the impression that it was a group buy on the receivers and a build party for the rest. Specifically we were looking to save money on the receivers and the FFL transfer if possible. However, looking at the price breakdown the best we can do on the receivers will be <$10, and then whatever we save on shipping and FFL.

The most important bit I think is sharing the knowledge on how to build them and the tools needed to get the job done, but I may be wrong.
    Exactly. The idea is for everyone to get all the pieces for the gun they want to build and then several people get together and pool their knowledge/tools and put them together
    If people were interested in doing a group buy on parts kits you could try that as well. The supply on them is limited so it's best to think about that sooner than later.

Based on the information I've seen on the other AK boards prices on parts kits have climbed about 25-30% in the last 90 days, from $95 to $130.
    I doubt you'll find anyone ready to knock much, if any off... They're just making too much profit on them as it is... But it might be worth a shot if someone wants to try and set one up.
    I've just started learning about this so I may have missed something. It sounds like Numidian and others have more experience with this than I do.
    I don't have any real life experience, just I've wanted to build an AK for about a year and have been reading/researching off and on for that whole year LOL
    Dave

red text

Numidian

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 25, 2007
    Shrewsbury, PA
    If we are going to do this through the forum, I'm going to ask that it is done with 100% receivers only. I don't want to take the chance of this somehow coming back to haunt me or the community, especially since our plans are broadcast to all of humanity. Lest anyone think that I'm using my position to get the build that I want, I will remove myself from the list and not participate. I just want to make sure that all bases are covered and no one can get hit unexpectedly by the BATFE hammer. If anyone wants to do an 80% build, then do it through email. Thanks for your understanding.

While I have no problem respecting your decision...this is your site (I assume LOL) But building an 80% reciever is in no way against the law(as long as you have your 922r parts count and noone can say anything about it. But as I said, I'm not trying to make a fight out of this, just wanted to clarify for everyone else that I am not advocating breaking the law in anyway...

All of my builds WILL have the proper parts counts to make them legal and I will follow everything to the letter of the law.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    While I have no problem respecting your decision...this is your site (I assume LOL) But building an 80% reciever is in no way against the law(as long as you have your 922r parts count and noone can say anything about it. But as I said, I'm not trying to make a fight out of this, just wanted to clarify for everyone else that I am not advocating breaking the law in anyway...

All of my builds WILL have the proper parts counts to make them legal and I will follow everything to the letter of the law.

Believe me, all of the staff is in agreement that there is absolutely nothing inherently illegal about the 80% receiver.

However, the BATFE has amply demonstrated that they are willing to make peoples' lives absolutely miserable in the process of defending themeselves from the government's abuse when it comes to this area and the three of us are in agreement that it's not something that we want to risk.

No one's saying that the buy has to be 100% receivers or it's off, just that if the majority want to go the 80% route to please exchange your personal email addresses and take the arrangments there.

We're trying to walk that fine line between being responsive to our members' wants and needs, yet dealing with the reality that there is room for misinterpretation of what's happening.

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    All for an 80% build (eventually). We can exchange emails via pm and discuss that subject offline.
    Now that we know we're doing the 100% receiver- does anyone know an FFL that would like to do the paperwork for all of us. I don't expect a bargain on the receiver- maybe the FFL can knock off $5-$10 on the transfer fee of each of us for the group buy? I still hear only good things about Nodak Spud receivers. I am totally in the dark on overall AK knowledge, though. I have been lurking on a few AK sights - mostly to see what kinds of tools and jigs are needed for the builds.
    I also am baffled by the sheer number of different types of parts kits for the AK's. The price variances are pretty wide too. As I stated earlier, I'd like for us to get the same kind of kit so once we get the first one built- we can pretty much standardize all of the others. I know this will be tough with the present supplies. Maybe if we find one or two different types of kits that will fit on the receiver we purchase- that would be fine as well. This might help for people that want to do it on the cheap as well as those that want to add underfolders or such.
    I am in for any type of kit. The kits I've been looking at are in the $400 range. I can always get one of those and build it later with the knowledge we get on out first try.
    I will call a couple of places and see what amount of stock (numbers- not shoulder) they have in various kits. It looks like we're going to need in the neighborhood of two dozen of them.

DD214- Don't be silly. Come join the fun :D

Numidian

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 25, 2007
    Shrewsbury, PA
    I have a friend who sells 100% recievers (Nodak and Century) let me talk to him and see if he won't cut us a deal... I've been thinking and I don't mind doing my first build on a 100% reciever, just to remove that possibility of mistake.

I'm going to think of something to keep everyone organized for an 80% build... I'll post up sometime tonight if it's slow at work (I work at St Jo in Towson)

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    First off a statement for the record.

I think it's important to point out everyone is building their own gun. Each individual is responsible for what he creates. The board is merely being used to:

1) share information about suppliers
    2) share information about techniques
    3) allow member to pool resources and buy legal products in bulk, in a legal manner.
    4) aid in scheduling so that members with limited resources can share tools. (the build party).

In the thread on hosting a build party above, the host mentions you should invite someone from law enforcement to the build. That provides an impartial witness that things are being done above board, i.e. everyone is building their own gun- this is especially important when building flats. Something to consider once we start scheduling.

I for one, am buying (2) 100% receivers through an FFL. From everything I've read out there the quality of the NOVAk spuds is so high and the labor of bending and welding flats is so consuming it's not worth what you save.

However, if you are interested in flats you should probably email Numidian off list, since he can borrow a jig. If anyone decides to have a get together to bend flats it should be at a separate gathering than the build party.

DD214 you shouldn't drop out, this is mainly a social activity. It won't be as much fun if everyone doesn't come out and play!

And on that note....

Any leads on an FFL that might want to handle about 20 receiver transfers?

Dave

Ok it took me so long to write this someof these questions have been answered.

Let me suggest:

1) Novak spud recievers

2) Romanian G parts kits, they are the cheapest and the lowest cost.

If you want a different stock (under folder, for example, you can buy that part separately- I did) other stocks can be purchased after market (side folders, ar-15, etc and will count towards 922 compliance)

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    I gotta tell you guys, this has got to be one of the best memberships of any online forum. The staff very much appreciates everyone's willingness to be flexible....Sempre Gumby.

Numidian

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 25, 2007
    Shrewsbury, PA
    Tonight I'm going to make a post lining out the basics of building an AK-47. I'll explain 922r compliance and the like.

I sent my friend in Colorado a message about a group buy on recievers through him and I'll see what he says.

I can talk to my FFL about recieving a group buy of recievers for us. He works out of his kitchen in BelAir and charges $25 for standard transfers and $35 for regulated transfers.

Now that I think of it I could ask him if he would want to do a direct order to Nodak or something for us

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Now that I think of it I could ask him if he would want to do a direct order to Nodak or something for us

That makes more sense since he would be able to make a better purchase in bulk from them. It would also cut down on transfer fees.

tpy77

Ultimate Member
    Sep 27, 2007
    P.G. Co.
    J+G Sales has Romanian Kits for 119.95 + 15.12 shipping charge (only 19.77 for two kits)
    Only two reviews were negative. i have not done any business with them maybe someone has?

Try Cope's Distributing;http://www.copesdist.com/ak47.htm
    They have the same price but only charge $7.99 flat rate for each order, no matter how much you get. They are closer, in Ohio. Have had good dealings with them. Look under PARTS KITS to see what they have. This link has their AK extras, including compliance parts. Click on Parts Kits for more.

Jas

Jan 7, 2006
    Dares Beach
    I'm good with a 100% reciever especially being my first build. I read somewhere that if we go with the Nodak NDS-3 reciever its best to go with a double hook fire control group because the slot is cut a little longer that the NDS-1 and the single hook would fit a little loose. Someone may want to double check this since I'm a newb to AK's I have no idea if there is any truth to this.

DD come on you can't drop out :)

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    The only thing that stopped me from getting the copes was the warning that 5% of the kits would not have matching numbers. The reviews on the AK forums state that these were high quality unsorted kits. Take that for what it's worth.

The big issue for that is headspacing, and if you are doing a rivet build, you will be pulling the barrel and need to re headspace anyway. If you are doing a screw build you do not need to pull the barrel and don't need to head space if the numbers match.

My two kits from classic should be here tomorrow and if they are I'll post a review.

Note on receivers...

The NDS -3 "economy" receivers do not have a custom serial number option. If you want your MDSF-.... number you cannot get that model

That said, I'm in for MDSF-AK414 (nds-1) and MDSF-AK817 (nds-1P)

Last edited:

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    Tonight I'm going to make a post lining out the basics of building an AK-47. I'll explain 922r compliance and the like.

I will assume this is regulated as are the AR receivers. I would be more than happy to pay $35 for each receiver I order.

Redneck

Ultimate Member
    Jan 29, 2007
    Sparrows Point
    Im have no clue on what to order like a few others. Im all about 100% reciever, but as for the parts kits I do not know where to start.

turbosc20

Nov 6, 2007
    Glen Burnie
    Hello folks, new to the board.

Nobody builds from flats? I've built 3 (4 but I cut 1 back up) from flats since '05 and it's fun :D (2 romy Gs and 1 polish underfold. Pending 1 Polish Tantal 5.45.. Need to break out the welder to complete the rails! <-lazy)
    DSC00200__scaled_512.jpg

DSC01194__scaled_512.jpg

I have 3 Yugos that I need to build at some point (Fixed stock, Underfold and RPK) that I won't be bending flats for since: A) I heard tapco m70 flats are off on their axis hole. B) Different thickness of the receiver (1mm vs 1.5mm) and I don't feel like retooling for that size...

So how do you buy a receiver through an FFL from a company like Nodak? It wasn't very clear to me when I spoke to my local dealer on how to order. (I already know Nodak has the dealer's ffl on file) Do you guys just order stuff and the dealer just contact you when they receive it? Do they order it for you?

I know dumb questions that could be explained from the dealer. :o I guess I'm looking for answers from someone with personal experience. Any good FFLs around my area? (glen burnie)

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    Welcome to the board. You've definitely started at the right place with your experience bending flats (we need it). We're in the process of purchasing all of the goodies to do an AK build right now. The first is on 100% receivers and the second will be on 80% or flats. I also have two Yugo kits to put together (M72 RPK and M90 underfolder).
    Several places up and down Rte 2 for FFL's- I'll let the others with experience fill you in on them.
    Lots of good people here. Enjoy.

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    Hello folks, new to the board.

Nobody builds from flats? I've built 3 (4 but I cut 1 back up) from flats since '05 and it's fun :D (2 romy Gs and 1 polish underfold. Pending 1 Polish Tantal 5.45.. Need to break out the welder to complete the rails! <-lazy)
    DSC00200__scaled_512.jpg

DSC01194__scaled_512.jpg

I have 3 Yugos that I need to build at some point (Fixed stock, Underfold and RPK) that I won't be bending flats for since: A) I heard tapco m70 flats are off on their axis hole. B) Different thickness of the receiver (1mm vs 1.5mm) and I don't feel like retooling for that size...

So how do you buy a receiver through an FFL from a company like Nodak? It wasn't very clear to me when I spoke to my local dealer on how to order. (I already know Nodak has the dealer's ffl on file) Do you guys just order stuff and the dealer just contact you when they receive it? Do they order it for you?

I know dumb questions that could be explained from the dealer. :o I guess I'm looking for answers from someone with personal experience. Any good FFLs around my area? (glen burnie)

Just tell your dealer you are ordering recievers and to expect them in the mail.
    Send nodak a payment and order form. You are the one buying the reciever. The FFL transfers it to you after it gets shipped to him from nodak.

Thats the simpilest way. It only works this way if your FFL is cool. Some ffl's want to order it for you, so they can mark it up and charge you more $$.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Scot2024

Latest threads

Top Bottom