• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    What do you guys store your large quantities of ammo in? I'm running out of 50 round MTM's, but not crazy about cardboard cheaper options easy. I'd rather not just dump them into an ammo can or use bags.

rj1974

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Edgemere , md.
    I keep mine boxed or on stripper clips in ammo cans in the closets in the vaults in a job box in the basement and loaded in magazine placed through out the house .

HoCoShooter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2009
    Howard County
    These are great for stuff that won't fit in the safe and you can fit about a dozen cans in the bottom without stacking them. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368298597.855211.jpg

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    The only ammo that I store 'loose', is .45 acp.
    I keep my 200 gr SWC stuff in a .50 caliber can, with a soft rag folded and lining the bottom.
    At one time there were 400+ cartridges sharing that space, with several 1911 magazines on top of the ammo.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    i store mine in plastic boxes.. only when i have extra or going to match.. i dump them in zip lock bag. properly labeled of course since i have 2 different loads for 9mm.

scouse

Mar 6, 2013
    Havana on the Severn
    I keep mine boxed or on stripper clips in ammo cans in the closets in the vaults in a job box in the basement and loaded in magazine placed through out the house .
    I have wodered about storing ammo in Magazines for long periods of time; I will change magazines about every 3 or 4 weeks because of concerns over the spring developing a set and loosing tension.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    I have wodered about storing ammo in Magazines for long periods of time; I will change magazines about every 3 or 4 weeks because of concerns over the spring developing a set and loosing tension.

Dont be! I carry G17 mags fully loaded on my belt everyday. They get unloaded twice a year for less than 30 mins and they havent had any issues!

rj1974

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Edgemere , md.

Keep em loaded it won't hurt them as long as you have quality springs . I keep all my GI AR mags loaded and have for years at a time with no issues .

The only mag I ever had a problem with was USA brand mini 14 mags . The body swelled and caused the follower to hang up . Ruger factory mags are no problem . Of everything I keep loaded USA brand was the only thing I have ever had and issue with and the was only one out of about 15 or so .

pilgrim

What do you guys store your large quantities of ammo in? I'm running out of 50 round MTM's, but not crazy about cardboard cheaper options easy. I'd rather not just dump them into an ammo can or use bags.

Long term and bulk in ammo cans.
    Load development/special rounds in labeled plastic ammo boxes.
    Regular loads in peanut butter jars and ziploc bags for the range.
    Label everything.

Silverlode

Ultimate Member
    Aug 16, 2010
    Frederick
    Similar to HoCoShooter, I have three large jobsite boxes pretty much full. Each has two protected padlocks and all three are chained to a post in my basement and each other. Not exactly burglar proof, but somebody would need the right tools and some time to get them open or apart. They are hundreds of pounds obviously, nobody is walking away with them.

R357

Jun 23, 2009
    Upper Marlboro
    Boxed or sealed in a plastics bag and tossed into a surplus ammo can with a pack of desiccant. I also check and swap out the desiccant periodically as needed.

A buddy of mine just tosses it into an old footlocker though. Minus a few rounds of 22 it all still goes bang even after 20 years...

240 towles

master of puppets
    Mar 31, 2009
    ?
    has anyone ever had problem with moisture In plastic bags for long term storage?, I had an idea to vacuum pack some.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom