• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • circleshooter

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2009
    Baltimore County
    Just loaded up 1,250 28 gauge and .410 shotgun shells. I put them in zip lock bags in counts of either 50 or 100 shells. Then they go in Plano ammo cans.

I don't reload 12 or 20 gauge so those stay in their boxes and flat cartons.

Winterborn

Moved to Texas
    Aug 19, 2010
    Arlington, TX
    All of mine go into usgi ammo cans.

I do reload 12 gauge and usually just put them into boxes that I dig out of the trash at loch raven.

For skeet and trap its nice to be able to grab 25 rounds at a time quickly.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Wreck

Mar 9, 2012
    Bethesda
    I use Mtm boxes, reclaimed empty ammo boxes, and ziplock bags. I was thinking about vacuum bags for longer term storage. Anyone seal-an-ammo?

scouse

Mar 6, 2013
    Havana on the Severn
    This is a misconception I used to have. It is actually better on the spring to leave them loaded, than to load and unload the mags (cycle the spring). They are designed to cycle a ton of times within the limits of the spring, but will overall last longer if just compressed. I used to wonder the same with firing pin springs, so I asked a couple engineers at work. They told me that the same thing pretty much goes for any spring.
    Thanks for the info - three of you agree so I'll use that. I will no longer be concerned about it.
    And, thanks to Silverload, I will now chain my ammo boxes to my workshop bench.

Robert

Having Fun Yet?
    May 11, 2011
    AA County, MD
    I've been wanting to ask this same question but with a twist. I'm EXTREMELY limited on space, to the point where I could only install a 16 gun safe in the house. So I need all the room in the safe for my firearms, no room for much Ammo.

So above the safe I have some shelving, and I'm currently loading up those plastic plano cans with loose ammo inside with some desiccant packs.

My problem is that none of it is secure, and I can't really come up with a way to secure it..

Any idea's??

PS: I noticed over a few months with my .22 and 9mm the bottom of the cans sagging, so no matter it looks like they have to go..

240 towles

master of puppets
    Mar 31, 2009
    ?
    With the plastic bags, I worry about moisture trapped in the bag being unable to evaporate and the natural oils from your skin touching the rounds causing corrosion. I noticed that all the surplus Soviet/ German/ British and even current US military packaging is plastic free. Is there a reason for this?

mdjohn

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 14, 2013
    Harford county
    This is a misconception I used to have. It is actually better on the spring to leave them loaded, than to load and unload the mags (cycle the spring). They are designed to cycle a ton of times within the limits of the spring, but will overall last longer if just compressed. I used to wonder the same with firing pin springs, so I asked a couple engineers at work. They told me that the same thing pretty much goes for any spring.

as an addendum - I was told and it makes sense -- not to store shotgun shells in a pump action magazine over a period of time. The shotgun shells will compress and get fatter which may affect loading and unloading the chamber.

the shell sides are plastic and can compress/swell or deform

mstraus

Jul 23, 2009
    Frederick MD
    I store mine in heavy ml Ziplock same a my Empty brass. Also buy empty plain white boxes and trays from reloading supply place. And like others have mentioned.When i go to the range I pick out boxes and trays from trash that non-reloaders throw away. User Large Laser labels with all the info I need on them.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    1) I have mags that stayed loaded for over 15 years. NO problems with the springs. Now, these are qualiy mags.

2) For pistol ammo, I used Dillon Border Shift bags. It has two sides, but the divider is loose enough to allow you to fulll the bag from one side. So you fill with loaded rounds. As you shoot, the empty brass goes into the other side, and when you get done, you have a bag full of empties.

pwoolford

AR15's make me :-)
    Jan 3, 2012
    White Marsh
    I have 30 and 50 cal ammo cans with loose rounds (+ desiccant packs) of 9mm, 40, 5.56, and 7.62x39 and 3.08. I picked up the steel ammo boxes on eBay last fall and prefer them to the plastic boxes.

Lucca1

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 9, 2013
    Behind Enemy Lines
    I have always heard that its best to leave ammo in the original mfg packaging (cardboard helps with moisture control), stacked in mil surp ammo cans and stored in a dark location that is not subject to wide temp changes.

longgunnewb

Textbook Libertarian
    Feb 23, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Has anyone thought of Pelican cases? Yes they are a little on the pricey side for storage but they are durable and water proof. I would think that if you threw some dessicant in there it would be GTG until opened again. Also, if you got one of the bigger ones and loaded it with ammo it wouldn't really be movable until unloaded.

A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    Ammo cans on palates in a fire suppressed, climate controlled area.

You can't go nuts, but ammo is designed to endure harsh environments and still function safely. The real concern is safe to storage in case of fire and of course to deter theft.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Some I store in the original cardboard boxes.

Some in a fabric bag (Dillon Border Shift bag).

Some in military ammo cans.

Some in MTM plastic ammo cans.

Some has been stored for many years (15 - 20 or even longer), it all shoots fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom