• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • grayson71

Ultimate Member
    May 7, 2011
    Rocky Gap, Va
    If there are, I need a question answered.

If i am confronted with a rabid animal that is threatening me or my family, what should I do? I emailed this question to the DNR website, and I was told I cannot shoot the threat, but to call and wait for someone to come. I know this is the "company line" and i understand this, but if my wife or child is cornered by a rabid animal, I am not going to wait for god knows how long for DNR to get there. I live in a rural area of glen arm so neighbors are not to big of a deal, plus it is a hilly area, so there is plenty of backstop to make sure my shot doesn't travel far if it goes through the animal.

My question boils down to how much trouble would I get into with the DNR is I shot the rabid animal, then called them?

Thanks

OSOK1776

Oct 26, 2011
    Glen Burnie
    Is this a hypothetical situation or a risk that you are presented with from time to time? Are you frequently approached by rabid animals?

Also - how do you know if it is rabid or not prior to shooting it, I did not know there was a way? The way I see it is that since you cannot carry a loaded fire arm outside of your property than you must be approached on your grounds, if thats the case why can't you enter your home, call DNR and let them work the issue? It seems like that might be better than determining what the legal impact is.

However if you or your family is truly at risk and in a situation you cannot get out of, protect them.

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    If me or mine were threatened Id shoot first answer later if need be. Make up a story if need be, your child was cornered. I killed a rabid coon years ago in my dog pen....that was in Wicomico, different world and state of mind. Health dept came and sent me notice....yup, rabid be careful.

3rdRcn

RIP
    Industry Partner
    Sep 9, 2007
    Harford County
    Why would you even call them in the first place? Kill the animal and bury it out back in a deep enough grave that other local critters can not dig it up and eat it. Problem solved.

grayson71

Ultimate Member
    May 7, 2011
    Rocky Gap, Va
    Is this a hypothetical situation or a risk that you are presented with from time to time? Are you frequently approached by rabid animals?

Also - how do you know if it is rabid or not prior to shooting it, I did not know there was a way? The way I see it is that since you cannot carry a loaded fire arm outside of your property than you must be approached on your grounds, if thats the case why can't you enter your home, call DNR and let them work the issue? It seems like that might be better than determining what the legal impact is.

However if you or your family is truly at risk and in a situation you cannot get out of, protect them.

I have had issues with rabid animals in the area in the past, if you look up rabies symptoms, you get a pretty good description of what rabies looks like.

I have horses and various other animals on my property, and it is not uncommon for me to carry a weapon on my property. Thus I would be in a position to defend my family and property

grayson71

Ultimate Member
    May 7, 2011
    Rocky Gap, Va
    Why would you even call them in the first place? Kill the animal and bury it out back in a deep enough grave that other local critters can not dig it up and eat it. Problem solved.

That was my thought, but in case it bit anyone/anything, I would want to make sure it was tested so i could make sure my animals and family are taken care of.

If it hasn't bitten anyone, it will be 6 feet under in a heartbeat

dan8480

Gun Addict
    Feb 23, 2008
    Adams County
    From reading this, I would think it would be fine. I guess you might have to figure out if you are in the metropolitan district or not.

http://www.amlegal.com/nxt/gateway.dll?f=id$id=Baltimore%20County%20Code%3Ar%3A2ee9$cid=maryland$t=document-frame.htm$an=JD_17-2-101$3.0#JD_17-2-101

§ 17-2-101. DISCHARGING FIREARM OR WEAPON IN METROPOLITAN DISTRICT.

(a) Prohibition. Except as provided in subsection (c) of this section, a person may not fire or discharge a crossbow, pistol, air pistol, gas-propelled pistol, rifle, air rifle, gas-propelled rifle, or shotgun within:

(1) The limits of the metropolitan district of the county;

(2) A nondistrict enclave within the metropolitan district; or

(3) An appendage attached to the metropolitan district.

(b) Duty to post metropolitan district. The Police Department shall post in the county courthouse and in every police station and substation throughout the county, accurate maps designating the locations of the boundary lines of the metropolitan district established according to the Code.

(c) Exception. This section does not prohibit:

(1) A licensed hunter from discharging a shotgun, properly hunting in season using a shotgun that contains no heavier than No. 2 shot; or

(2) A person from discharging or firing a crossbow, pistol, air pistol, gas-propelled pistol, rifle, air rifle, gas-propelled rifle, or shotgun:

(i) On a permanently located, properly posted, and bona fide target range, the location of which has been filed with the Police Department;

(ii) When reasonably necessary for the defense of life or property;

(iii) As part of a military occasion when the discharge is done under the orders of a commanding officer; or

(iv) As part of a deer cooperator program under the authority granted to the Department of Natural Resources, in cooperation with the county, to reduce the wildlife population of protected wildlife determined to be overpopulated.

(d) Automatic weapons.

(1) In this subsection “automatic weapon” means any weapon capable of firing multiple shots with one depression of the trigger.

(2) Except as provided in subsection (c) of this section, a person may not fire or discharge an automatic weapon in the county.

(1988 Code, § 20-41) (Bill No. 169-93, § 1, 1-27-1994; Bill No. 114-99, § 3, 7-1-2004; Bill No. 13-00, § 1, 3-10-2000; Bill No. 73-03, § 22, 7-1-2004; Bill No. 21-11, § 1, 6-20-2011)

dieselfarmboy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2009
    Snow Hill, MD
    Shot a racoon this summer at around 1pm on a sat. Called everyone no one wanted to come take it for testing. Only answer i got was it was looking for water :confused:. Oh well other people has spoted a racoon in the area during the day also, hopefully it was the one i got. Atleast this way said coon wont hurt any kids.

Dec 6, 2011
    +1 and tape a knife to it's paw.

Seriously, if you want an answer that you can point to later, send a letter to John Griffin, Secretary of the Maryland DNR or the Attorney General's office. It costs nothing and the written response on agency letterhead may be invaluable later when dealing with authorities.

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa

That's what I've...er...heard of being done. Fellow I know had a raccoon sittin about 8 ft. up in a tree overtop of his dog kennel one morn. this was after the dog was barking all nite. A few months later he's coming home from workin ot on a Sat and his wife calls and tells him theres a coon stumblin about in the back yard. Both were buried in the fire pit.

3rdRcn

RIP
    Industry Partner
    Sep 9, 2007
    Harford County
    I called because my dog had a scratch on her nose, no bite, just a scratch.

That makes sense. I would be asking them if there are any reports of rabies in the area for sure but I wouldn't be asking if I could kill it. I seem to recall, and I could be wrong, that racoons, foxes, coyotes and the like are open season all year round because they are nuisance critters or something like that. Maybe one of the hunters could clarify.

systemmaster

MDS Supporter
    Dec 31, 2009
    Lost
    Can't speak for DNR, but in my area the local animal control responds to complaints of rabid animals with local PD.

I do know of an incident were a rabid animal was aggressively attacking a homeowners dog. One well placed shot with a safe back drop and the rabid animal was put down. Local PD took report and recovered shell casing. No charges filed, animal control responded to recover remains.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom