Anyone here considered buying a house across the PA border?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MRA

Dec 10, 2010
    Damascus
    If you are retired, some states tax pensions while others do not. MD taxes pensions. I have heard that PA does not tax pensions. Is this true?

DadOSix

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 25, 2013
    Allegany Co.
    One thing to consider about PA and taxes. Those school taxes vary wildly in rates depending on what school district. Doesnt matter if you have school aged kids in the system or not.

Also, in PA, for senior citizens, there was the PACE plan for prescription help. There was some hoop jumping to get it, but the one store i worked in a bit, almost every sr citizen had it and lower drug cossts OTD as compared with MD sr citizens.

Bede5man

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 29, 2016
    Catonsville, MD
    Yes

I would move to PA in less than a heartbeat, when my wife has the full pension from the Johns Hopkins University (her call, not mine). She's worked there since '89 and has maybe 21 months to go to qualify for the Whole Deal. (Not worth it, in my opinion, to have worked there for so long, but she did, and for a long time before we were married...)

Give me even one nanosecond of choice, and I'll break Mach going across the border.

Maryland sucks in every way possible. Every way.

When we got engaged in 2010, we spent months trying to "settle" on who would move...I was in Atlanta. I lost. That's a whole other story unto itself! Grrrr!

Knowing that I was moving back to MD, I got the guns I "always wanted and then that would be enough" deal. And I did.

Fair enough.

But MD is worse than I remember ('90-'97), when my wife and first met...gun laws, vehicle laws, tax milage rate, house prices, traffic, lack of REAL mass transit, etc.

Oh, I almost forgot,...the...um...how do I say it and not get banned...um...well, the problematic demographic that we have here.

Oh, boy. I hate, hate, HATE living in Maryland. Call a spade a spade.

reddobie0

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2014
    Lost Somewhere
    if you wouldn't mind living in dundalk, move to PA. it's a wooded dundalk.

don't expect PA to be a comparable area to hereford.

Wow you really hate PA. What did they do to piss you off that you determine the whole state is like Dundalk? Really? There is pros and cons to both state but there are some good people up there and I would not consider them Dundalk types by far.

POP57

Ultimate Member
    Apr 5, 2016
    Delaware
    Wow you really hate PA. What did they do to piss you off that you determine the whole state is like Dundalk? Really? There is pros and cons to both state but there are some good people up there and I would not consider them Dundalk types by far.

I'm waiting for the explanation as well.

travistheone

Usual Suspect
    Dec 11, 2008
    cockeysville
    I really don't know anything about Dundalk. I see we aren't going to get answer. Oh well. I was just curious.

the answer is pretty obvious. my post was about areas of PA that are convenient to MD.

everything is old. dated and semi-functional infrastructure is the norm. people included. poor job market.

lack of high end anything. high drug use and high unemployment.

lots of similarities to dundalk. just drive through both of them.

obviously there are exceptions to everything, but PA is not some utopia. you get what you pay for.

reddobie0

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2014
    Lost Somewhere
    You could close your eyes and cross the border into Maryland and the only way you could tell you were in a different state is by license plates. Everything you said could also pertain to parts of MD. There are some nice areas and some bad areas but that is everywhere you go. Who said Pa is a utopia? You for some reason seriously hate PA and its people :sad20: and I don't know why. There are a large number of Marylanders who now inhabit the lower part of the state so I assume you just hate everyone. You hate Dundalk and PA and probably most everywhere else except where you live. :sad20: There are good people everywhere you just seem to hate everyone. You must hate me because I grew up in Dallastown Pa, which you already informed me of how I rate on your scale! Very sad indeed.

Mr Bear

Ultimate Member
    Jan 17, 2013
    Maryland
    A few years ago, my "ex" & I bought property in Fulton County, Pa. Since we had more than 10 acres, it was taxed under the "clean & green " program, which meant our taxes were $2300 for the land, a 2700 sf home, 2 large outbuildings, 2 wells. Fulton is primarily a rural county, but the residents are down to earth souls. It takes a bit of an adjustment with fewer conveniences just around the corner, yet the pace is slower, more relaxing. Pensions are not taxed by the state.

Getting a carry permit is much easier. It was also nice to have my own range right behind the house where I could safely shoot out to 400 yds. Wish I still had it. However, I'm still friendly with my old neighbors & visit them 3-4 times a yr.

travistheone

Usual Suspect
    Dec 11, 2008
    cockeysville
    You could close your eyes and cross the border into Maryland and the only way you could tell you were in a different state is by license plates. Everything you said could also pertain to parts of MD. There are some nice areas and some bad areas but that is everywhere you go. Who said Pa is a utopia? You for some reason seriously hate PA and its people :sad20: and I don't know why. There are a large number of Marylanders who now inhabit the lower part of the state so I assume you just hate everyone. You hate Dundalk and PA and probably most everywhere else except where you live. :sad20: There are good people everywhere you just seem to hate everyone. You must hate me because I grew up in Dallastown Pa, which you already informed me of how I rate on your scale! Very sad indeed.

All I am saying is you get what you pay for.

Pure and simple.

Moving to PA for a house that is "worth twice this in MD!" is a strange statement. Property values are a reflection of the area.

reddobie0

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2014
    Lost Somewhere
    Property values are a reflection of the area.

So according to this I should pack my stuff and head to California because that must be wonderful area to live since property values are so high. :lol2: Different states different prices, many things affect home prices in different places and just because homes are cheaper somewhere else doesn't mean it's a bad area. To me you live in a bad area because your home values in your county are lower than my county makes no sense. Also according to some since taxes are higher on property many state they are paying the same payment amount on their mortgage as they in Md.

For some reason I feel you hate PA sort of like how when I worked in DC and some people from northern VA bragged about it all the time as some sort of utopia. I don't know if that is how it is up your way or not. Different strokes for different folks.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    the answer is pretty obvious. my post was about areas of PA that are convenient to MD.

everything is old. dated and semi-functional infrastructure is the norm. people included. poor job market.

lack of high end anything. high drug use and high unemployment.

lots of similarities to dundalk. just drive through both of them.

obviously there are exceptions to everything, but PA is not some utopia. you get what you pay for.

But not everyone is about that high end. Plenty of pot holes, unemployment and unlawful drug use at every corner of Maryland?

Whats your complex, though? Bad day trip to Amish country with the constant smell of liquid manure and "hilly billays" gawking at your S Class or something?

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    I think I pay like $50 a year at a private club in Dundalkavania.

Certainly cheaper than hundreds of dollars, but the club has been around for 50 years not some new construction. Most of the Dundalkavania indoor ranges I've been to have their prices similar to Maryland.

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    I think I pay like $50 a year at a private club in Dundalkavania.

Certainly cheaper than hundreds of dollars, but the club has been around for 50 years not some new construction. Most of the Dundalkavania indoor ranges I've been to have their prices similar to Maryland.

Uh, the four ranges I was thinking of in my $200+ figure have all been around for more than 50 years!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom