Anyone here considered buying a house across the PA border?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • El_flasko

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 16, 2008
    Abingdon, MD
    Oh...take me!

Nice neighborhoods have popped up in Delta, Shrewsbery, and New Freedom. So I don't anything about prices but go to Realtor.com and search for homes

I've done many purchase loans for people leaving MD and buying right over the boarder in PA. The areas you mentioned were top 3 targeted locations.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    PA- easy CCW-
    The roads suck- look no further than I83 when you cross the line. They suck all the way until you get to NY
    Property taxes low but school taxes can make total bill higher than MD
    York is a shit hole
    Harrisburg the state capital is bankrupt
    Some beautiful rural areas
    Liquor stores run by state and expensive
    I don't hate the place but it's no paradise by any means
    Unless easy CCW is your dream

Bede5man

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 29, 2016
    Catonsville, MD
    I lived in York, 2004-2005, working as a flight instructor at the airport in Thomasville.

York is Paradise On Earth compared to central Maryland. :cool:

Fork, yeah, baby.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Dont forget per capita school tax and per capita township taxes. Ems tax for where you work etc. etc. etc. Be prepared to get spot assessed on your new home and dont forget to bring your deed to your house to the school your children want to attend so they can make sure your not trying to sneak over to play football from another school district. All they want is to see what you paid so they can determine what millage you can afford to cough up.

reddobie0

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2014
    Lost Somewhere
    PA- easy CCW-
    The roads suck- look no further than I83 when you cross the line.
    Liquor stores run by state and expensive

When I lived in Pa we always remarked how much nicer roads were in Md. especially on 83 and we came to Md. or DE. to get cheaper liquor.

dont forget to bring your deed to your house to the school your children want to attend.

I had to do that here in Md. They wanted a deed or signed lease to prove I was in their jurisdiction for elementary school. I never thought about it but it makes sense.

I like PA. better than MD., for numerous reasons, but on that note I am never planning on being a resident of that state ever again nor this state in a few years. I'm heading south most likely Fl. and keep something up this way when I come up to visit.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Uh, the four ranges I was thinking of in my $200+ figure have all been around for more than 50 years!!

Range or "club"?

I even know of a PA private club that costs $10/year for dues. I think there is new member fee, but it was like $10 on top of the yearly due.

It sounds too good to be true but this place even has a 600 yard rifle range. I know a few members, but too far away for me.

Ngrovcam

Ultimate Member
    Jun 20, 2016
    Florida
    Rayg...I am from Port Jefferson...did exactly what you did, but in '86...I married a local girl and lost the argument about going back to LI...here on the Bay and love it...just like the Sound-ish...too bad the inmates are in control of the asylum, but I hear back home is no better...

jesemd

Nov 17, 2012
    PA- easy CCW- VERY EASY
    The roads suck- look no further than I83 when you cross the line. They suck all the way until you get to NY Yes, but they are passable. the roads get plowed and resurfaced regularly, just not to MD's standards.
    Property taxes low but school taxes can make total bill higher than MD VERY TRUE my bill is about 150% what it would be in MD, but house is worth 75% of what it would be in MD
    York is a shit hole Yes, parts of it are, but I feel safer in York than i do in Catonsville, plus I'm armed.
    Harrisburg the state capital is bankrupt TRUE
    Some beautiful rural areas TRUE
    Liquor stores run by state and expensive TRUE, but you can buy booze in MD if its that important to you
    I don't hate the place but it's no paradise by any means
    Unless easy CCW is your dream

What surprised me most is the level of corruption in the local government up here. Everything is good ole boy network and if you ain't one of em your not getting anything done.

I would say there is not enough reason to move to PA for gun rights unless CCW is the most important thing in your life and you are going to work in PA also. Without a CCW our gun transport laws are exactly the same as MD's - Home to Range ONLY! You can still buy HBARs in state and 30 round mags across the line. Everyone in MD thinks they hand out Class 3 full autos with every home purchase up here....I'll take an M3A1 grease gun if anyone asks....
    :D

CruncherBlock

Mar 29, 2016
    Don't do it. If you work in Baltimore you will hate your commute. You will ride bumper to bumper from Middletown to Hunt Valley during rush hour on the way to work and it's just as bad on the way home. Taxes are high too.

Alanbdot

Jul 8, 2013
    Yea the commute is always the thing that gets me. Ive thought about PA a few times but it just isnt practical for my circumstance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom