• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Steelersfan

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 28, 2013
    So i'm sure you have all heard of wax slugs. Cut shell open, mix hot wax with birdshot, pour it back in. I saw a video of a guy that used elmers glue and did the same thing. It seems hot glue is the more popular route, but it makes a huge mess. I just wanted to know if anyone has tried this and if there is any danger? I made 5 of them with some wood glue I had laying around with #8 birdshot, and I made sure to keep weight of the glue slug round the same as factory (more glue means the loss of some birdshot to keep weight consistant), but I have seen some youtube videos of some barrels blowing up with wax slugs, and I will not take that risk if it does exist. Also, I would shoot it out of my mossberg 500, but would load them one at a time because I don't know how they would act trough the mag tube.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    It just gunpowder, steel, and wood under tremendous pressure.

I don't see any problems with trying it.

Yank that trigger.

:rolleyes:

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    So i'm sure you have all heard of wax slugs. Cut shell open, mix hot wax with birdshot, pour it back in. I saw a video of a guy that used elmers glue and did the same thing. It seems hot glue is the more popular route, but it makes a huge mess. I just wanted to know if anyone has tried this and if there is any danger? I made 5 of them with some wood glue I had laying around with #8 birdshot, and I made sure to keep weight of the glue slug round the same as factory (more glue means the loss of some birdshot to keep weight consistant), but I have seen some youtube videos of some barrels blowing up with wax slugs, and I will not take that risk if it does exist. Also, I would shoot it out of my mossberg 500, but would load them one at a time because I don't know how they would act trough the mag tube.
    If you will abandon this idea, I will GIVE you a 12 gauge shotgun slug.

Fishguy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2009
    Montgomery County
    If you must goof around with shotgun ammo like that, Google 'cut slugs'. Similar idea but safer.

But really, real factory slugs are less than a dollar a piece. What advantage are you trying to get with the idea?

Steelersfan

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 28, 2013
    If you must goof around with shotgun ammo like that, Google 'cut slugs'. Similar idea but safer.

But really, real factory slugs are less than a dollar a piece. What advantage are you trying to get with the idea?

I have found slugs at a dollar a piece around where I live. I happen to have many of them, but at 25 cents a piece, I can shoot all day.

Steelersfan

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 28, 2013
    If you will abandon this idea, I will GIVE you a 12 gauge shotgun slug.

Nah, thats ok, I must have a hundred high velocity slugs. I shoot at an indoor range where the person next to you's target is inches from yours. A few times with bird and buckshot, the spread has hit their target. I don't like to do that to people and I got 200-300 rounds of birdshot I will never shoot otherwise.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    What indoor range lets you shoot birdshot?

Save the birdshot for clay games and just use slugs, or some federal flitecontrol buckshot...hornady uses essentially the same wad for their critical defense/zombie ammo. Or just toss a tighter choke in if you want to shrink your shot cloud.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008

A while back someone posted info on some bullets they made. The poster said he used 2 ingots of pure lead and 1 ingot of 3% antimony...so his bullets were 3% antimony. Hilarity ensued as just about everyone tried everything they could think of...including drawing diagrams...to point out his errors. The poster just got annoyed and more nonsensical, turning a thread about bullets he casted into epic MSF hall of shame material.

Basically they're saying your posts are coming across as similarly nonsensical.

btw...what gun are you planning on shooting these out of as a frame of reference to work from?

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co

You're a Steelers fan? Go for it. I am sure it is perfectly safe. Lol

JK, I would not want to glob up my barrel with wax or glue.

shaddydan

ADHD chicken fighter
    Oct 22, 2010
    Hydes
    Seriously OP, I think you answered your own question with the "guns blown up" comment. This is just a really bad idea. BTW, cut shells are only a last resort kinda round.

Steelersfan

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 28, 2013
    What indoor range lets you shoot birdshot?

Save the birdshot for clay games and just use slugs, or some federal flitecontrol buckshot...hornady uses essentially the same wad for their critical defense/zombie ammo. Or just toss a tighter choke in if you want to shrink your shot cloud.

My barrel doesn't take chokes. I got an 8 shot mag tube and 20'' barrel for it so it is not threaded for a choke.

Steelersfan

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 28, 2013
    A while back someone posted info on some bullets they made. The poster said he used 2 ingots of pure lead and 1 ingot of 3% antimony...so his bullets were 3% antimony. Hilarity ensued as just about everyone tried everything they could think of...including drawing diagrams...to point out his errors. The poster just got annoyed and more nonsensical, turning a thread about bullets he casted into epic MSF hall of shame material.

Basically they're saying your posts are coming across as similarly nonsensical.

btw...what gun are you planning on shooting these out of as a frame of reference to work from?

I got a mossberg 500 with a 20 inch cylinder bore barrel bore barrel

Steelersfan

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 28, 2013
    Seriously OP, I think you answered your own question with the "guns blown up" comment. This is just a really bad idea. BTW, cut shells are only a last resort kinda round.

I didn't say the glue slugs blew up, the more popular wax slug blew up. Turns out the guy had a squib in his previous round where the wax slug got lodged in the barrel. When he shot the next slug, it hit the previous slug, which created enough pressure to blow up the barrel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ramseye

Latest threads

Top Bottom