• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    My barrel doesn't take chokes. I got an 8 shot mag tube and 20'' barrel for it so it is not threaded for a choke.

So a mossy-pump with a non-threaded 20" barrel that you'll be firing at some indoor range that allows you to shoot birdshot. It'll make shooting cut-shells a bit more of a PIA than a coach gun. You'd essentially be loading them individually through the ejection port if you went that route.

Sounds like you're largely trying to use a screwdriver to hammer a nail. Get some slugs or flitecontrol-ish buckshot and call it a day.

Steelersfan

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 28, 2013
    So a mossy-pump with a non-threaded 20" barrel that you'll be firing at some indoor range that allows you to shoot birdshot. It'll make shooting cut-shells a bit more of a PIA than a coach gun. You'd essentially be loading them individually through the ejection port if you went that route.

Sounds like you're largely trying to use a screwdriver to hammer a nail. Get some slugs or flitecontrol-ish buckshot and call it a day.

Yes, I would load them singly. May use slugs at the range and give a few of the glue slugs to a friend that has a break barrel 12 when Im nearby and let him try them at his farm (put it in a vise and shoot it remotely). The guy that did it on youtube had no problems through 25 rounds, but again, Not trying to blow my barrel apart.

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    I didn't say the glue slugs blew up, the more popular wax slug blew up. Turns out the guy had a squib in his previous round where the wax slug got lodged in the barrel. When he shot the next slug, it hit the previous slug, which created enough pressure to blow up the barrel.

I think this is the problem with this idea. Barrel gets clogged with wax/glue and eventually (after a few shots) it becomes obstructed.

Why are you doing this, exactly? Just to see what happens?

Steelersfan

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 28, 2013
    I think this is the problem with this idea. Barrel gets clogged with wax/glue and eventually (after a few shots) it becomes obstructed.

Why are you doing this, exactly? Just to see what happens?

No I just don't like birdshot, and don't have a need for it. I just saw videos on them and it seemed everyone had good results. Figured I could get my moneys worth out of it.

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    if there is some kind of obstruction with soft wax, it will likely give enough to come apart and not be an issue- once glue has set, there are a lot more problems- you are essentially making a steel reinforced polymer if you are to do this.

It is not necessary. The slug does not have to hold together after it hits, in fact, it acting like a fluid when it impacts is what does a lot of the damage and transfers so much energy.

Just don't use glues of any kind, and for the love of god not epoxy

Steelersfan

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 28, 2013
    if there is some kind of obstruction with soft wax, it will likely give enough to come apart and not be an issue- once glue has set, there are a lot more problems- you are essentially making a steel reinforced polymer if you are to do this.

It is not necessary. The slug does not have to hold together after it hits, in fact, it acting like a fluid when it impacts is what does a lot of the damage and transfers so much energy.

Just don't use glues of any kind, and for the love of god not epoxy
    I understand what you mean. I just thought that it being so solid (like a real slug), it would be more apt to not get stick in the barrel. I could be wrong, and I think I may make a hundred or so of these and maybe by the end of the year I can go to my friends house in North Carolina where we can remotely shoot them in his single shot 12 gauge. If it all turns out alright, I may consider shooting it in my mossberg.

Steelersfan

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 28, 2013
    Msr lets u shoot bird shot

Yep thats where I go. its kind of a hike from St. Mary's county, but besides Sanners lake (which you need a membership) its my only option. Have you had any problems with your birdshot getting on others paper? I got one guys because I had the target set at 15-20 yards, and the guy next to me had his at like 40 and some shot got on his paper. He wasn't mad because he was using a 308, so he could tell what was his and what was mine, but I didn't want to piss anyone off, so I only shot whenever people didn't have their targets set past mine.

dendog

Mar 5, 2011
    Howard County
    It just really sounds like a bad idea. Yes worst case you could blow up your gun but the heat will also melt some of the glue that will end up coating the inside of the barrel. If you really want to load your own shotgun shells get a MEC loader and have at it.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    For the love of god, don't do a glue/wax slug...

If you wanted to do something stupid with a Mossy 500, you could fill a shot shell with C4 and light it off in the chamber. It will achieve the same results of what you are attempting to do with the glue/wax slugs.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    If E Shell says Doan Do It... Then ya might wanna listen.

Inquiring for advice and insight here is prudent. Taking in the sum of the advice and doing some learning is priceless.

OTOH, Forrest Gump's Mama had a saying...

Last edited:

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    If you want to get 'your moneys worth' out of some boxes of birdshot, put thembin the classifieds and you will get actual money for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ramseye

Latest threads

Top Bottom