• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Something to consider is if the range wants a bunch of glue/wax/randombondingagent downrange. They have a hard enough time preventing accidental fires and cleaning up without diggin that out of their backstop. At a minimum, I'd think it polite to keep these reserved for the farm. People next to you would also probably be thankful if you reserved experimental ammo for somewhere away from them

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    this is a bad idea. This has been tried, along with many other ways to bond shot, and there is a reason we have not seen people doing it like crazy, but wax slugs have taken off.

PolyVinyl Acetate will melt at higher temps, leaving scorched crap in your barrel, this is a disaster waiting to happen.

Just use wax

dan8480

Gun Addict
    Feb 23, 2008
    Adams County
    IBTL... Seriously this is a bad idea. Why do you need to try it remotely? If you saw someone do it on YouTube, it must be totally safe, so why go through the hassle of the vice and string routine, man up and pull the trigger yourself. What could go wrong? Oh, and make sure someone is rolling the camera to document your success.

Caeb75

Full fledged member
    Sep 19, 2007
    Aberdeen
    As others have said.....Don't do it.

Aside from that, best case is you will eventually end up with a bulged barrel and a bruised ego.

Worst case....well, stupid hurts.

If you are that bound and determined to get a nomination for a Darwin Award, by all means do it. Just don't do it an indoor range around other people.

oh....I second Ed's offer. I will throw another slug into the kitty...

Selene

Nov 18, 2012
    This is the kind of redneck bull$#!t that gives safe responsible gun owners a bad rap. You are honestly that concerned over $50 worth of ammo that you are willing to destroy a $300 gun, or worse hurt yourself or someone else.

shaddydan

ADHD chicken fighter
    Oct 22, 2010
    Hydes
    Despite rational advice from the community, the OP seems determined to harm himself. Hopefully no one else will be hurt.

STeveZ

Thank you, Abelard
    Sep 22, 2011
    Aberdeen, MD
    I hate to pile on but when you shoot a long gun you are triggering a controlled explosion within 6" of your face and both of your hands. Given the potential downside to an accident I would discourage you from using any ammunition not designed and tested for your gun, including "experimental" ammunition deemed safe by a guy on the internet.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Interestingly enough, shotguns are fairly forgiving in terms of sending random crap down the barrel...especially something like a 590, 870, or benelli supernova. The internet is full of people shooting everything from machined "penetrating" rounds, to CO2 cartridges, to silly-putty, to dimes and other things. Shotguns are fairly low pressure, overbuilt things with loose tolerances. I'm not so much worried about the gun blowing up as I think it's a waste of time and energy, and may make a mess at the facility where he's shooting. Here's some goodies....

Sirex