• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Numidian

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 25, 2007
    Shrewsbury, PA
    The ejector that S&W sent me was for the old style sear block. So now I have a spare ejector for my gun lol.

After getting the wrong part, I'm done messing with this gun. I pulled the extractor back out and reinstalled the factory extractor. We took the gun back down to Dan and he is sending it back again. When we get it back its most likely going up for sale.

Paige and I visited Lou and picked up a police trade in M&P9 that I will build up for her. Some Duracoat (or other paint/coating), Apex DCAEK, RAM and new sights.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Thats a tough one, although swapping frames does narrow it down though. It does seem M&Ps are kinda sensitive to breech face width, and extractor gap. My pro had some occasional issues with WWB ammo, once every few hundred rounds it would FTE, the rest of the time it would eject it just about straight up(although not back at me), although basically any other ammo ejected just fine, leaving the slide at 2:00 and landing at 4:00 relative to my feet. I tried tweaking the ejector, but it didn't change anything, ended up tuning the extractor, and it fixed it. Seems the extractor was set too shallow, and not putting enough tension between the extractor and other side of the breech face, so the case would be pulled from the breech, but slip out of the extractor, and eject wrong.

I don't have the actual numbers right now, but say the groove diameter for 9mm is .325, the gap between the extractor and other side of the breech was .320, it would let the case go before it had slid completely off of the side of the breech as the rim slid forward on that side. I compared it to my M&P 9c which feeds everything, and that extractor to wall gap was something like .316". I took a couple thousandths off of the extractor, squared the inside of the hook, polished the face of the hook, and slightly beveled the bottom to help cases slide into it easier. After that it runs perfectly with everything, made no difference in tension, the extractor just held onto the case a little longer to help guide it out. Take a litle metal off with an india stone or fine file where I marked in red.
    Extractor_600.jpg

Apex seems to make good stuff, and it's convienient, but most anyone with some basic knowledge and tools can re-shape the stock parts to do the same thing. Some pistol designs need you to weld and shape, or design and machine parts to improve things, the M&P's stock stuff is really easy to work with, no need to put metal back on, just to take a little off in specific areas. I've seen the Apex parts, and they look decent, but seem to be shaped exactly like stock parts that were re-worked, although you still probably have to do a little tweaking to get the best fit, and the best performance out of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JBIRD EST.1984

Latest threads

Top Bottom