• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    What are the thoughts, feasibility, and possibility of this actual being built? I understand it would probably be a completely one of a kind custom build, but after seeing the load data, it got my dad and I thinking about if it could be done.

Thoughts?

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    I don't see why not.

Buy a bull barrel and start whittling. Threads for extension ring. Turned and drilled for gas block/gas port. Ream the chamber. Done.

I want one in .243 Winchester.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    .22-250

Appears to be designed around a .30-06 case.

22-250.png

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    It would have to be on an AR10 platform. They have already been built in 6XC which was originally based on the .22-250 case, so it is do able. Given the cost of having one built in .22-250, I would opt for an already proven and reliable cartridge set up that is already in production and shoots bullets with higher B.C. and better performance.

NY Transplant

Wabbit Season/Duck Season
    Apr 2, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    I don't see why not.

Buy a bull barrel and start whittling. Threads for extension ring. Turned and drilled for gas block/gas port. Ream the chamber. Done.

.22-250

Appears to be designed around a .30-06 case.

View attachment 165461

Actually, the parent case is the Savage .250-3000.

What are the thoughts, feasibility, and possibility of this actual being built? I understand it would probably be a completely one of a kind custom build, but after seeing the load data, it got my dad and I thinking about if it could be done.

Thoughts?

It would have to be on an AR10 platform. They have already been built in 6XC which was originally based on the .22-250 case, so it is do able. Given the cost of having one built in .22-250, I would opt for an already proven and reliable cartridge set up that is already in production and shoots bullets with higher B.C. and better performance.

I think you would be better off with the .243 in the AR10 platform. 58 grain bullets will go just about as fast at the 22-250 40 grain bullets and you can go up to 105 grains in factory loads or up to 115 grain bullets if you roll your own.

ted76

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2013
    Frederick
    I don't see why not.

Remington already makes.one in .243 Win.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Actually, the parent case is the Savage .250-3000.

I think you would be better off with the .243 in the AR10 platform. 58 grain bullets will go just about as fast at the 22-250 40 grain bullets and you can go up to 105 grains in factory loads or up to 115 grain bullets if you roll your own.

If my dad wants to look in to something weird like this, who am I to stop him? Personally, I know how he is thinking. He is thinking of reloading component compatibility between .22-250 and .223. I can't blame him for thinking that way, especially after he saw the logic behind me getting a .300BLK and the component compatibility between .223 and .308 for reloading.

He is also thinking about a 300-400 yard varmint gun that is not a bolt, lightweight, ergonomic, and an AR.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    If my dad wants to look in to something weird like this, who am I to stop him? Personally, I know how he is thinking. He is thinking of reloading component compatibility between .22-250 and .223. I can't blame him for thinking that way, especially after he saw the logic behind me getting a .300BLK and the component compatibility between .223 and .308 for reloading.

He is also thinking about a 300-400 yard varmint gun that is not a bolt, lightweight, ergonomic, and an AR.

How about .277 wolverine. All components are readily available and based on .223/5.56. Similar ballistics to 6.8spc.

Looks pretty cool.

http://www.maddogweapons.com/277-wolverine.html

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    Very tempting. I'll pass it along to him.

EDIT:
    Have you heard anything about how it does at 400-500 yards?

Not specifically, but there is a lot of ballistic info on this. A friend at work just turned me on to this.

Supposedly this closely mimics the ballistics of 6.8 spc. There is also a subsonic load for it.

qorban88

Jan 11, 2015
    Blackhole Weaponry .22x6.8 .
    Check their barrels out. I have one in 6x45 and 6.8. Both are crazy accurate. If pa would allow semi's I'd sell my bolt guns.

I 2nd Black Hole Weaponry. Custom barrels/calibers, reasonable price, very accurate. They also have fluting and cerakote options.

CrazySanMan

2013'er
    Mar 4, 2013
    Colorful Colorado
    Man, that would be nice. With semi auto you could get most of the pack of coyotes you call in instead of just 1, or 2 if you are lucky and fast at racking the bolt.

What would you do for a magazine?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ddsabedra

Latest threads

Top Bottom