• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 50bmg

Sep 24, 2011
    Towson, MD
    Curious if those of you with more experience could shed some light on the essential tools for the AR. I'm thinking things to maintain, but also tools to build an AR

Appreciate the input.

Thanks

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    50bmg said:
    Curious if those of you with more experience could shed some light on the essential tools for the AR. I'm thinking things to maintain, but also tools to build an AR

Appreciate the input.

Thanks

Stock wrench for the castle nut should come with them, it's a must have.

Dec 14, 2011
    Bel Air
    Tapco makes a nice multi tool. It comes with an extension tube wrench, castle wrench and flash suppressor wrench. Its the Tool0904. Great for a range bag.

sixfivesavage

Jun 30, 2011
    Jarrettsville
    If you have an lmt or something similar where the rail and upper are one piece, then the only thing you need is ammo. A bullet tip takes care of everything on it.

50bmg

Sep 24, 2011
    Towson, MD
    Saw the tapco one and only issue I read is issues with milspec nut. Probably not an issue.

What's an lmt?

Last edited:

JCB003

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2007
    AR wrench, receiver vice blocks, brass/plastic hammer, roll pin punches, pivot pin detent tool, torque wrench are some things that would be nice to have.

ColonelHurtz

A pile of little arms.
    Nov 13, 2008
    Now that we have that out of the way...

Front sight tool.
    .223 broken shell extractor.
    A breakdown G.I. rod for clearing stuck shells.
    A stock wrench and/or a barrel wrench.
    Lower receiver vise block, upper block and/or barrel clamp if you're going to be working on your upper.

You can live without a carbon scraper but some people like them.

drew_acid

Kreuzritter
    Depends on how in depth you plan to build or just assemble.

Vise, upper & lower receiver vise blocks, roll pin punches, roll pin starters if you like, punches, brass / nylon hammer, ball peen hammer, pivot pin tool (it's cheap and resolves lots of frustration searching for lost detent pins and springs) armorer wrench. Wood block, masking tape (so you don't mar the finish driving in the pins) A padded gun mat is nice as well.

For barrel work - torque wrench, front sight bench block, low profile gas block alignment jig.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=20727/sku=080-000-252/Product/AR-15-Front-Sight-Bench-Block

For a bolt staking / multi tool I like - http://www.m-guns.com/tool_new.php?product=moacks

But - you can build a lower at your kitchen table with a hammer and a few roll pin punches - minimal investment

And of course all the other vices mentioned. (ARs are their own vice) :innocent6:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom