• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Yoshi

Invictus
    Jun 9, 2010
    Someplace in Maryland
    I didn't buy anything during the panic. Well, one thing but the price was pre-Newtown. I know several individuals who bought lowers thinking they could sell for a major profit. Doesn't look like that is going to happen.

milldog

Apr 16, 2011
    College Park
    I overpaid and, in my weaker moments, have griped about in some postings. Liked shooting for years but the economics hadn't lined up until the last couple of years for me to get into it as a hobby...so I bought in on some things at the worst time.

However, when I get philosophical on it, that's the way things roll...hindsight's always 20/20 and I made the decisions based on the best intel I had at the time (cue Kenny Roger's The Gambler). I've now got a lightweight AR I really enjoyed for the first time at BRGC a few weeks back and a lower that was a blast for my first build...looking forward to the upper in the coming months.

The only thing I haven't done is bought overpriced ammo, and for that I've got this forum to thank. Every time I started biting my nails thinking I needed to jump on that .80/5.56 deal on gun-bot, or that I really needed that primer-only Aguila .22 because it was the only thing there:ohnoes:, etc, I cued up the forum for some some encouraging comments, usually posted by from some cranky old guy saying hell would freeze over before he spent more than.35/rnd, and then I calmed the heck down down.:smoke:

So, thx for the assists, and thx for the thoughts in this thread that the panic may be normalizing.:thumbsup: This stuff is helpful for us new guys.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    While I can feel sympathy for those who are new to all of this and bought high out of fear that they would not be able to buy at all. Those decisions were made based on the information that was available at the time. Panic buying is NEVER a good idea for ANY thing. Now buying to protect ones freedoms is a GREAT thing no matter when it happens. The prize is worth the money at twice the price.

I am, however, going to be laughing my ass off at those who ran out and paid panic prices to buy up every round of ammunition that they could find... expecting that they could resell it on the web for three times the price. Those folks are now seeing things normalize and starting to panic about whether or not they will be able to break even. Too bad... So sad... :lol2: They can EAT those thousand round boxes of boolitts that they do NOT even have a gun to shoot with.:mad54: And to those that bought up as many AR Lowers and other parts that they could find but NEVER intended to use... with the idea that they would make a killing off of the pro 2A folks... You want salt pepper ketchup wid dat? :lol2: Bon Apetite! KARMA is a vindictive BITCH! :party29:

You have to love the speculators. Housing, stock market, foreign currency, gold, and now AR lowers. I will say that finding an AR platform in 308 is still rather pricey. I'm going to hold off on that purchase until those prices come down some more. The AR15 lowers are going to be cheap once again here as people start to cancel their panic orders that have not been fulfilled yet and others start to flood the market to get the best price possible before things drop to what normal prices were. I never feel sorry for the speculators. They wanted to roll the dice, now they pay the price if they held too long out of greed.

ShooterMcGee

Dec 31, 2012
    I thought the same thing yesterday as I browsed gunbroker. I wonder how much if that has to do with the awb ban being dropped from the federal bill.

pitbull

Jan 23, 2013
    i probably paid a little too much for two big purchases in the last few months. neither will ever be for sale and I am happy that I bought the ones I did. So it was worthwhile for me. and a big middle finger to those that were and are price gouging...

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    I saw this coming from a mile away. Picked up a Bushmaster for $1200 a week after Newtown. As soon as it became evident the House would never pass an AWB it became obvious to me that demand was going to fall. Sold it for $1500, bought 2 stripped lowers as an emergency, now waiting for the parts situation to stabilize.

The same thing happened with the Saiga 12 ban crisis a couple years ago. As soon as it became obvious to me the ATF wasn't going to ban them I sold mine immediately at the top of the market.

Feb 28, 2013
    brother I feel your pain.... I paid $1500 for a S&W MP Sport on there and I almost cried when I saw it on there the other day now for $995.

I know how you feel. I ain't about to say what I paid for my Colt SP1, Because I don't feel like reading 100 posts about how I got screwed. Suffice to say it wasn't cheap, but I thought it was my only chance.

HICAPMAG

Mar 2, 2013
    Montgomery County
    Oh, my friend, when I was at the last Nation's Gun Show in Chantilly (early Feb?) I didn't see a single LE6920 under $2500. Around that time, I wandered into The Gun Center in Frederick and they had just gotten in five California S&W AR clones. Sporter barrels, 5 rd mags, bullet button, the works. Asking price was...$2700. One week later, all 5 were still for sale. Haven't been back since. Two weeks ago I was at the Philly show at the Oaks, and one vendor was selling NIB LE6920's for $1500. Wow.

Hate to admit it but I bought one of those LE6920's at the Nation's Gun Show in Chantilly (paid a little less but not much). I had done enough research to know I wanted the Colt or a DD but not enough to know the prices were outrageous. Going to feel pretty stupid when my MSP approval come in and I have to go pay the balance. :sad20:

On the plus side, it is the AR15 I wanted, I beat whatever ban the gun grabbers in Annapolis pass and this is an investment in FREEDOM. :party29:

Bafflingbs

Gozer the Destroyer
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 16, 2013
    Calvert County
    AR prices are clearly down on GB. I know, 'cause I'm hurting from buying a month-and-a-half ago. Why do I even look? It's like picking a scab. NIB LE6920's were selling over $1850 in late January. Now, no way.
    I feel your pain $1300 for a Stag model 2 1 month ago. Stupid scabs!

vballbach

Jan 16, 2013
    Odenton, MD
    After reading and posing, I decided to go and search GB. wouldn't you know it, the stripped lower is over $100 less than what I paid for a week ago!!! %$#%##%@#$#

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    I thought the same thing yesterday as I browsed gunbroker. I wonder how much if that has to do with the awb ban being dropped from the federal bill.

It has everything to do with the AWB being dropped from the federal proposal. If they were still pushing that proposal, the prices would be going through the roof even more so.

Try buying something off a shelf in Maryland where the AWB is still breathing.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Well, now that the panic fun is running out of steam, at least MSP paperwork should be getting faster!

No, the nationwide panic is what is subsiding. The Maryland panic will not subside until the proposed AWB in Maryland is no longer breathing, or at least on life support. Same goes for the handgun licensing.

While the proposed legislation, SB281, is still pending in Maryland, MSP will continue to receive a poop load of Form 77R applications.

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    Has anyone noticed that AR prices are down?

Was on gun broker browsing and Sig M400 Enhanced has a buy it now for $1399
    S&W M&P Sport $995
    S&W M&P OR $1199

Seems some brands have dropped to actual list or near list pricing.
    Anyone see this at the local shops?

How could anyone tell? I always thought Gun Broaker prices were always in the sky is falling mode.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    No, the nationwide panic is what is subsiding. The Maryland panic will not subside until the proposed AWB in Maryland is no longer breathing, or at least on life support. Same goes for the handgun licensing.

While the proposed legislation, SB281, is still pending in Maryland, MSP will continue to receive a poop load of Form 77R applications.

This is a valid point, paperwork could actually get worse in MD as those priced out at panic levels now have a shot to get an AR. Maybe I'll be able to get that 6920 I've been unable to afford!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom