Background checked stopped a Pa man from buying an AR.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ted76

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2013
    Frederick
    I know a guy that lives up by Smithsburg that went into the Hunter's Den in Waynesboro and tried to buy a .22 rifle for his 15 year old son.
    He had prior convictions for assault and lied on the 4473 form and got caught by the background check. The state of PA. charged him and I don't think that his case has been resolved yet.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I know a guy that lives up by Smithsburg that went into the Hunter's Den in Waynesboro and tried to buy a .22 rifle for his 15 year old son.
    He had prior convictions for assault and lied on the 4473 form and got caught by the background check. The state of PA. charged him and I don't think that his case has been resolved yet.
    Stupid is as stupid does.

ted76

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2013
    Frederick
    He's the type that think's that normal laws don't apply to him, caught he's been caught several times for driving while suspended and expired tags.
    He has a home improvement company that's shady as hell.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Background checks do work.

Not sure of the exact circumstance, but PA's 302 involuntary mental health evaluation process is a very low bar with little due process that can strip 2A rights for life. It is abused quite a bit, and doesn't take a lot for a family member, usually an angry spouse or an officer to get a judge to sign it. The standard was changed a couple years ago too, lowering it even more from "clear and present danger" to "clear and convincing evidence the person would benefit". This could be a case of a dangerous person that didn't know how to buy a gun from basically anything other than an FFL. Could also be someone that had their rights stripped in an often abused unconstitutional process decades ago, and wasn't aware of the fact long after they have lived a law abiding life in the years since.

Or TLDR, "background checks are unconstitutional BS".

Lafayette

Not that kind of doctor
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2021
    Maryland
    If background checks work, then the questionnaire is redundant.

(Or worse, the questions only exist because government is purposefully trying to catch you in a lie in order to charge you with lying on a government form.)

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA

(Or worse, the questions only exist because government is purposefully trying to catch you in a lie in order to charge you with lying on a government form.)
    A friend of mine got arrested and charged with a felony for “lying” on the VA state check form because he didn’t realize his home state had incorrectly reported him to NICS as having had involuntary commitment for something that occurred when he was a minor. He had purchased other firearms just fine after clearing the state check a few months prior, so we have no idea why he suddenly got flagged then. He spent nearly $20k in attorney fees over the course of almost a year getting VA to drop the felony charge and then getting his home state to change what they report to NICS.

owldo

Ultimate Member
    Still waiting for Hunter Biden to be charged !

giphy.gif

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead

Agreed, just run the background check while I browse the store for more stuff to buy.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    We have some clearly mentally unhinged people passing background checks and misusing the guns they buy. That's a huge problem and I have no idea how to fix it, other than trying to identify these loons early. But how do we do that?

6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    We have some clearly mentally unhinged people passing background checks and misusing the guns they buy. That's a huge problem and I have no idea how to fix it, other than trying to identify these loons early. But how do we do that?

Get them proper mental health treatment. I love Reagan, but the worst thing he did was decimate our mental health system.

Focus on the people, not the tools they use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom