• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    No knife needed.

I mean, I still use my knife. But just to slice the colon/intestine. Stick it deep, twist it about 180 degrees, pull out and then slice off the end of the colon/intestine. Ideally use a zip tie to keep the rest of the intestine closed so nothing dribbles in the body cavity as you then yank the entrails out (put on the zip tie before cutting through the intestine)

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    I mean, I still use my knife. But just to slice the colon/intestine. Stick it deep, twist it about 180 degrees, pull out and then slice off the end of the colon/intestine. Ideally use a zip tie to keep the rest of the intestine closed so nothing dribbles in the body cavity as you then yank the entrails out (put on the zip tie before cutting through the intestine)

I usually just tie it off with twine. A small spool in the field dressing kit lasts a very, very long time.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I usually just tie it off with twine. A small spool in the field dressing kit lasts a very, very long time.

I use zip ties for everything. I get the 6” zip ties like 1000 at a time. Them, bailing wire and duct tape can solve all the worlds problems.

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    I try to be as clean as possible and am open to any tricks or tips.I always wondered if the buttout was a gimmick or for the inexperienced . Maybe I should give it a try.
    I have split the pelvis or cut out the anus ,both work but still have drawbacks

I watched the video,but didn't like the way he pulled the intestine until it broke off inside.Seems like that would cause leakage.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I try to be as clean as possible and am open to any tricks or tips.I always wondered if the buttout was a gimmick or for the inexperienced . Maybe I should give it a try.

I watched the video,but didn't like the way he pulled the intestine until it broke off inside.Seems like that would cause leakage.

Yeah, don't do that. Just stick it in, rotate till it grabs and carefully pull out maybe 2-3" past where the you can see the end of the butt out through the intestine wall. Then tie it off, cut it off. Then just pull the entrails out.

I only do it after I've already done most of the dressing and all that is left is to yank the guts out. I get experienced hunters can cut out the anus in short order, but this is still faster than I've seen any guy do and easier to do too. No splitting the pelvis needed, which I'd rather not do in the field, as it makes it easier to introduce crap into the body cavity then.

Bboarder

Me Myself & I
    Mar 7, 2010
    Reisterstown

Butt out is dead last. I reach in and try to flatten the intestine to clean it out with hand. Then do butt out and pull till I get flat intestine and then cut so I don't leave anything inside. I also always wash, helps cool it down and wash the blood out.

BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Finally got one. Been a really tough year. I've had 3 hunts in a row ruined by the neighbor and her dogs. They tried again last night, but the herd decided to come back about 30 minutes before dark.
    Wild night. Got busted by her under my feeder as I was about to take a 40 yard shot on her. She took off and gave me a broadside at 100, but I wasn't comfortable taking it that time of night. Inexplicably, she came back, and gave me a shot at 60, and I took it. Then it all went down hill.

Shot was felt and sounded good. She jumped, ran a bit, then nothing, no sound, no sight. Got down, no blood. Wife and her friend came out to help me look. She found a tiny spec (she impresses me more every day). We ended up picking up about 30 ft of bright red blood in small drops, but no deer. I wandered on the hill side for 2 hours, but never found it.

Went out this morning, looked at things in the light and had a pretty good idea which way she went. Found her 100 yards over the back side of the hill, thankfully nothing else got to her. Shot was good, just minimal blood.

Side note, this is my second year butchering myself. The first was a really nice 8 point last November, skin came off clean, no hair falling out at all. This one and the doe I shot in January had hair coming off them like my black lab shedding. Damn near impossible to keep it off the meat. How do you other self butchers deal with this?

9fd14485dd889fb7b65893ce8e5579d6.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    Finally got one. Been a really tough year. I've had 3 hunts in a row ruined by the neighbor and her dogs. They tried again last night, but the herd decided to come back about 30 minutes before dark.
    Wild night. Got busted by her under my feeder as I was about to take a 40 yard shot on her. She took off and gave me a broadside at 100, but I wasn't comfortable taking it that time of night. Inexplicably, she came back, and gave me a shot at 60, and I took it. Then it all went down hill.

Shot was felt and sounded good. She jumped, ran a bit, then nothing, no sound, no sight. Got down, no blood. Wife and her friend came out to help me look. She found a tiny spec (she impresses me more every day). We ended up picking up about 30 ft of bright red blood in small drops, but no deer. I wandered on the hill side for 2 hours, but never found it.

Went out this morning, looked at things in the light and had a pretty good idea which way she went. Found her 100 yards over the back side of the hill, thankfully nothing else got to her. Shot was good, just minimal blood.

Side note, this is my second year butchering myself. The first was a really nice 8 point last November, skin came off clean, no hair falling out at all. This one and the doe I shot in January had hair coming off them like my black lab shedding. Damn near impossible to keep it off the meat. How do you other self butchers deal with this?

Nice work!

Silverlax

Nov 13, 2014
    Eastern Shore

I slice with the grain of the hair. I think Steve rinella has a good video on where to slice to pull the hide easily. I also do the gutless method and have had great success in skinning the deer fully intact. Whenever I get a flap of hide away from the meat I don’t let it flap back down onto the exposed meat.

rossiski

Dec 28, 2019
    Carroll County
    If you have the facilities near by I always hang them and then skin the deer and then gut them. Keeps everything super clean. Wash it down and into the walk in cooler it goes until I’m ready to process.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code

Congrats

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bapple

Latest threads

Top Bottom