• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    This year I put a redhead in the garage floor and planning on putting and eye bolt in it and wenching the deer up twice and hopefully pull the skin off.

I also wash the meat outside in the garage as it goes into the meat lugs.
    https://archeryrob.wordpress.com/2020/03/19/butchering-table-fold-up/
    table-16-medium.jpg

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    Finally got one. Been a really tough year. I've had 3 hunts in a row ruined by the neighbor and her dogs. They tried again last night, but the herd decided to come back about 30 minutes before dark.
    Wild night. Got busted by her under my feeder as I was about to take a 40 yard shot on her. She took off and gave me a broadside at 100, but I wasn't comfortable taking it that time of night. Inexplicably, she came back, and gave me a shot at 60, and I took it. Then it all went down hill.

Shot was felt and sounded good. She jumped, ran a bit, then nothing, no sound, no sight. Got down, no blood. Wife and her friend came out to help me look. She found a tiny spec (she impresses me more every day). We ended up picking up about 30 ft of bright red blood in small drops, but no deer. I wandered on the hill side for 2 hours, but never found it.

Went out this morning, looked at things in the light and had a pretty good idea which way she went. Found her 100 yards over the back side of the hill, thankfully nothing else got to her. Shot was good, just minimal blood.

Side note, this is my second year butchering myself. The first was a really nice 8 point last November, skin came off clean, no hair falling out at all. This one and the doe I shot in January had hair coming off them like my black lab shedding. Damn near impossible to keep it off the meat. How do you other self butchers deal with this?

9fd14485dd889fb7b65893ce8e5579d6.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Nice shot.What bullet are you using?Should have been a short and ample blood trail,but sometimes you never know.

Hair becomes less a problem one you get a few under your belt. You will figure out how make cuts better and over all,how to pull on the hide with less hair coming in contact with the meat.
    I hang my quarters in a garage fridge.The meat gets a crust on it that I remove with a sharp knife.Any hair that was dried on the crust gets discarded then.

BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Nice shot.What bullet are you using?Should have been a short and ample blood trail,but sometimes you never know.

Hair becomes less a problem one you get a few under your belt. You will figure out how make cuts better and over all,how to pull on the hide with less hair coming in contact with the meat.

I hang my quarters in a garage fridge.The meat gets a crust on it that I remove with a sharp knife.Any hair that was dried on the crust gets discarded then.
    Powerbelt 245gr coppers. I was pretty shocked. Every other deer I've shot with that gun and those bullets dropped where they stood.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Powerbelt 245gr coppers. I was pretty shocked. Every other deer I've shot with that gun and those bullets dropped where they stood.

Did it thread between ribs? Doesn’t look like bad placement. it’s the top of the lungs and looks like it just missed the shoulder blade. At least on the side facing the camera. My somewhat limited experience is high lung hits don’t bleed externally nearly as much as arterial, heart or lower lung hits.

BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Did it thread between ribs? Doesn’t look like bad placement. it’s the top of the lungs and looks like it just missed the shoulder blade. At least on the side facing the camera. My somewhat limited experience is high lung hits don’t bleed externally nearly as much as arterial, heart or lower lung hits.
    Definitely was high lung. They were both shredded, but was a little above the heart.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Good Buck

Got lucky, he was nudging some WT does around and pretty warm out.
    Anyway, there was some sika hinds nearby earlier and when he came through he turned once like he was going to go back into cover but decided to follow through on the WT does to his end.

View attachment 330494

View attachment 330496

Attachments

• InkedIMG_1020[7645] E_LIF.jpg
      InkedIMG_1020[7645] E_LIF.jpg
      64.5 KB · Views: 202
    • ML 2021 L 1.jpg
      ML 2021 L 1.jpg
      119.5 KB · Views: 189

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    Anyway, there was some sika hinds nearby earlier and when he came through he turned once like he was going to go back into cover but decided to follow through on the WT does to his end.

Congrats - that is a beast! You're going to get some nice neck roasts off that one. :thumbsup:

Batt816

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 1, 2018
    Eastern Shore
    Anyway, there was some sika hinds nearby earlier and when he came through he turned once like he was going to go back into cover but decided to follow through on the WT does to his ]

Nice! Congratulations!!

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

Great buck B!

I love hunting this time of year(if it would only get colder...).

delaware_export

Ultimate Member
    Apr 10, 2018
    Question for you folks, that have taken sika deer. What’s the taste like? Similar to WT? Different?

Never got one. And only ever saw a few on the island beaches while driving around, just south of OC.

Just wondering.

Question for you folks, that have taken sika deer. What’s the taste like? Similar to WT? Different?

Never got one. And only ever saw a few on the island beaches while driving around, just south of OC.

Just wondering.

Sika is the best game meat I have ever eaten. Possibly the best red meat period. It's flavor is very different than a Whitetail.
    A buddy in Mardela Springs pops at least one a year. I wanted to hunt them with him (I haven't hunted in decades) and he shot me down because my hips and marsh mucking wouldn't be a good fit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ddsabedra

Latest threads

Top Bottom