• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    I think there is a bit of a misunderstanding here. I don't know where the train left the rails, but I respect both your opinions and I don't think you are far apart. Mebbe a restart, or something, is in order.
    Yeah I guess the correlation/ irony was lost. Certainly no hard feelings. As always good luck to all.

outrider58

Cold Damp Spaces
    MDS Supporter
    Huge difference between public land center of the state and the shore. I went out one time on the last day and deer rifle season at Blairs valley. They was a guy in every hedgerow, every 40 yards. If a doe ran through that field their would be interlacing fire at her and they would all be shooting at each other. Scared the carp out of me and got out of there fast.

Sounded like Doco was going to set you up, but I think that is done now.
    DoCo is solid, and so is RRomig. I think there was a bit of miscommunication there.

yellowfin

Pro 2A Gastronome
    Jul 30, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
    Congrats to you both. What round did you give her? I just got a 6.8 upper and building the rounds now. Waiting on casings and cast supposed 126 bullets coming out to 139 - 140, but I'll see how heavy works.
    I gave her S&B 110gr poly tip (according to their website it's made by Hornady so it's a SST) which is absolutely awesome. If I were loading 6.8 I'd do 120gr SST. I load the 165gr SST in .308 and the accuracy and terminal performance is amazing

yellowfin

Pro 2A Gastronome
    Jul 30, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
    Congrats on a great trip. 6.8 Grendel or CM
    6.8 SPC. I like Grendel but got this upper cheaper a few years ago and put a ALG handguard and Silencerco mount on it and LaRue trigger in the lower. With the can on she loves it and it made a perfect shot without the slightest difficulty or hesitation.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    What exactly, is the farm bureau, and where does it exist in Merrland? Everywhere? Is there one FB for the entire state? Why don't they do this everywhere in Md?
    It’s in davidsonville

It covers all of md

We use to get out health insurance there if my memory serves me right

They do all kinds of stuff

Then there’s the md dept of ag

Then there’s the md extension in each county

And the FSA office in each county

Everyone of them adds a layer of bullshyte to everything a farmer does, In the name of progress and, of course, government bureaucracy

outrider58

Cold Damp Spaces
    MDS Supporter
    It’s in davidsonville

It covers all of md

We use to get out health insurance there if my memory serves me right

They do all kinds of stuff

Then there’s the md dept of ag

Then there’s the md extension in each county

And the FSA office in each county

Everyone of them adds a layer of bullshyte to everything a farmer does, In the name of progress and, of course, government bureaucracy
    Yeah, that's fxcked up. Too many ditch watchers. Not enough ditch diggers.

WHBD

Oct 4, 2023
    Crownsville
    Sooooo,
    Taking Friday off,
    Zero interest in Bucks,, I need 2-3 small-med does
    Any suggestions ?
    The small property I hunt has not seen a deer on camera in 3-4 weeks.

Looking for any/All suggestions and/or offers.
    Honestly, the public land in the counties that DoCo Overboard mentioned have plenty. I have had shot opportunities, and taken a few of them, on does each and every time I've been out on them.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    This year all the decent bucks disappeared. I can't speak to the last week, because apparently my memory card filled up Christmas eve (oops), but from then till Thanksgiving there is one picture of a small 5/6 point at night and two different small forks each one about once a week, mostly at night too, a couple of daylight over the month of them. Same group of a 2 1/2yr doe and probably her fawns that hit my feeder 2-3 times a day, once a night and 1-2 times in the daytime. Also the occasional group of 4-5 does once or twice a week.

Oh well, I guess hitting the Eastern shore for late gun season is a much better choice than sitting in my stand with a crossbow.

And lots of racoon. And a coyote. I find it interesting that since I've lived in this house, I've had game cameras out late August till January/February every year and I think every year I get one or more pictures of a single yote, one time (1-6 pictures of them sniffing around). This guy is BIG though. He is nearly as big as the deer fawns that are ~8 months old at this point.

Just as a comparison, the yote 3yds and 15minutes from one of the fawns that is probably tipping the scales around 70#
    DSCF0855.JPG
    DSCF0856.JPG

WHBD

Oct 4, 2023
    Crownsville
    Yeah,,
    I'm gonna have to scout them this spring,,
    I know there are some deer in Severn Run and Bacon Ridge in Crownsville. Right by me but I've only fished or hiked those areas. You just need to call DNR to reserve a spot or something like that. Not hard to do and I seriously doubt either get much pressure.

Hibs

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2015
    Maryland
    I know there are some deer in Severn Run and Bacon Ridge in Crownsville. Right by me but I've only fished or hiked those areas. You just need to call DNR to reserve a spot or something like that. Not hard to do and I seriously doubt either get much pressure.
    Bacon Ride is under deer management hunts. Pretty sure not open otherwise to the public for hunting.

Also, under the deer management program, it's one of the least productive parks (according to the conservation officer who runs it).

WHBD

Oct 4, 2023
    Crownsville
    Bacon Ride is under deer management hunts. Pretty sure not open otherwise to the public for hunting.

Also, under the deer management program, it's one of the least productive parks (according to the conservation officer who runs it).
    Looks like you are correct. I’m not surprised about the results there either.

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    Shot a doe this evening. A couple decent bucks came out, but I let them go, if they lasted this long, they deserve to live until next season. I let myself get too picky and waited a little too late in the season.

First time taking my new (to me) Remington 700 in 6mm Remington that I picked up at the HoCo show last month. 6mm SST handload dropped it in its tracks.

IMG_1306.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    illlocs33

Latest threads

Top Bottom