• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rgramjet

Ultimate Member
    Jan 25, 2009
    Howard County
    Been a slow year for my family and myself. we needed to get a few nice doe to fill the freezer. Well this evening, my son and I got it done. He shot 2 doe, and I got one. Here’s a picture of his 2 on the 4 wheeler. I never got any pictures of mine.
    Congrats on the tasty and tender meat!

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    My contribution for this year’s thread - The Christmas buck. Backstraps, tenderloins, and some skirt meat from rib area.

Basket rack ten point. Caught him heading to bed. Must’ve been out partying late with the full moon ;)

IMG_2506.jpeg

cww

Jan 28, 2010
    Typical TV scenario just toyed with me tonight - instead of the standard on queue oh hear come the small bucks followed by the big boy on the last day at the last minutes- mine was oh hear comes a buck, too small, oh heck here comes another one, crap it’s smaller, again and again. After the 5th buck there was no big boy and time expired.

outrider58

Cold Damp Spaces
    MDS Supporter
    Been a slow year for my family and myself. we needed to get a few nice doe to fill the freezer. Well this evening, my son and I got it done. He shot 2 doe, and I got one. Here’s a picture of his 2 on the 4 wheeler. I never got any pictures of mine.
    Same here. I was finally able to get a doe yesterday(could have shot more, but one was all I needed for the year).

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    Same here. I was finally able to get a doe yesterday(could have shot more, but one was all I needed for the year).
    Congratulations.
    My son and I went out again yesterday evening, but didn’t have any luck. We were hunting a farm where the farmer wants them gone! We know a person that would take a few deer if we were successful, so we were trying to keep our friend and the farmer happy.
    We are on his crop damage permit so maybe we will still get a few.

outrider58

Cold Damp Spaces
    MDS Supporter
    Congratulations.
    My son and I went out again yesterday evening, but didn’t have any luck. We were hunting a farm where the farmer wants them gone! We know a person that would take a few deer if we were successful, so we were trying to keep our friend and the farmer happy.
    We are on his crop damage permit so maybe we will still get a few.
    Excellent
    The bigger challenge is finding a place to hunt.
    Truer words were never spoken.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    LOL. I hunt public land. I would imagine you have to. But for a steady place to hunt , manage the heard and land you really need to hunt private. I’d bet you’d agree.
    No not really, becuase the private lands I own and some of the ones I hunt are next to state lands and lots of nice bucks come off them.
    But what I posted is about doe shooting. Both Sika and whitetail.
    I'm curious. Whats your local farm bureau doing about it?

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    No not really, becuase the private lands I own and some of the ones I hunt are next to state lands and lots of nice bucks come off them.
    But what I posted is about doe shooting. Both Sika and whitetail.
    I'm curious. Whats your local farm bureau doing about it?
    No not really? Managing land and heard on public land is doable? I’ve never owned or known anyone with a farm of any real size so I don’t know anything about farm bureau. Do they coordinate crop damage hunts?

outrider58

Cold Damp Spaces
    MDS Supporter
    I know, those thousands of acres of state lands are pretty tough to locate.
    The thousands of acres don't go very far given population densities in certain areas. Especially in Monkey and Fredneck counties. The biggest problem with most of these places is, they don't hold deer all season. They are pretty much barren after the first week of gun season, and unlike some of the ES areas, these are mostly surrounded by horse farms that don't allow any kind of hunting, so the deer have a refuge for the remainder of the year.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    No not really? Managing land and heard on public land is doable? I’ve never owned or known anyone with a farm of any real size so I don’t know anything about farm bureau. Do they coordinate crop damage hunts?
    They're coordinating cash prizes for those that participate. (Farm bureau) In the counties Identified in the notification.
    Managing a herd on state land is primarily the DNr's business, not mine. But, becuase I'm a license holder, I would think that makes myself, or any other hunter for that matter a stakeholder to some extent. Wouldn't you agree?
    My business, is not having to kill every deer I see afield, just because I can.
    If every lease holder that thinks they're managing a deer herd on some property they hunt is effective and always beneficial to harvesting a deer, they're as naive as anyone that misses opportunities for hunting state lands. Particularly in the counties identified in the notification I provided.
    Especially, for trophy quality deer. Whether it be whitetail or sika or even a doe for that matter.
    The thousands of acres don't go very far given population densities in certain areas. Especially in Monkey and Fredneck counties. The biggest problem with most of these places is, they don't hold deer all season. They are pretty much barren after the first week of gun season, and unlike some of the ES areas, these are mostly surrounded by horse farms that don't allow any kind of hunting, so the deer have a refuge for the remainder of the year.
    It's Wicomico, Dorchester, Somerset, and Worcester counties. Fishing Bay alone, is nearly 30 k acres I'm pretty sure.
    Evidently, some folks aren't up to the challenge or dont care to shoot a doe next week and have a chance at a thousand bucks.
    Some people you just cant help it seems. I bet there's not 5 deer checked in at ENM firehouse if you wanted to know the truth. Based of memory which is not that good anymore, I seem to recall someone told me it was three last year or something ridiculous like that. I do remember being stunned when I heard it but can not absolutely confirm the report just the same. All I know is thats the only time some will ever actually get paid for a day afield if they get drawn instead of just bitching about how things are for themselves all the time.

outrider58

Cold Damp Spaces
    MDS Supporter
    I hunted a farm in HoCo for a couple years. I was told, at 700+ acres, it as the largest working farm in HoCo. It was so over hunted, plus a couple years of EHD, the few deer that remaind, including all the does, were almost 100% nocturnal. There was a section of the farm we were not allowed to hunt. It was full of deer, lol. In the two years I hunted it, I killed two does, both in the first year.

Did I forget to mention, I was hunting under a crop damage permit? Hahaha!

Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    They're coordinating cash prizes for those that participate. (Farm bureau) In the counties Identified in the notification.
    Managing a herd on state land is primarily the DNr's business, not mine. But, becuase I'm a license holder, I would think that makes myself, or any other hunter for that matter a stakeholder to some extent. Wouldn't you agree?
    If every lease holder that thinks they're managing a deer herd on some property they hunt is effective and always beneficial to harvesting a deer, they're as naive as anyone that misses opportunities for hunting state lands. Particularly in the counties identified in the notification I provided.
    Especially, for trophy quality deer. Whether it be whitetail or sika or even a doe for that matter.

It's Wicomico, Dorchester, Somerset, and Worcester counties. Fishing Bay alone, is nearly 30 k acres I'm pretty sure.
    Evidently, some folks aren't up to the challenge or dont care to shoot a doe next week and have a chance at a thousand bucks.
    Some people you just cant help it seems. I bet there's not 5 deer checked in at ENM firehouse if you wanted to know the truth. Based of memory which is not that good anymore, I seem to recall someone told me it was three last year or something ridiculous like that. I do remember being stunned when I heard it but can not absolutely confirm the report just the same. All I know is thats the only time some will ever actually get paid for a day afield if they get drawn instead of just bitching about how things are for themselves all the time.
    The Hell with the cash prize,, I need 2-3 small does/yearlings next Friday/Sat.
    I deer hunt on a very small plot borders public land,,, the deer seriously disappeared around 9:00AM Nov 25th.
    2 van loads of Amish showing up and driving the public out did not help.
    I have 2 bait piles just for pictures and they remain untouched for over 3 weeks,, They did not just go "nocturnal" , they "went".

I used to drop a lot of does on public, but that was 20+ years ago,, sometime between cheap inline muzzle loaders and Xbows public land filled up with "Dildos"

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD

Think you’re missing the point of my original post. I’d like to find a place to hunt within a reasonable distance of my house that I can control who hunts with me and how close hunters are to one another. Would like to help manage a herd and land. Not worried about killing monsters and getting paid for does. Just a nice place to spend time afield with friends. And life has been very good to me and I count my blessings every day. That doesn’t mean I stop looking for opportunities to enhance mine and the people I care for lives.
    Take care

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Scot2024

Latest threads

Top Bottom