• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Wanted to spread the word for any and all interested. There has been a lot of commercials running about this, and the locals look forward to it every year.

The Gettysburg 145th National Civil War of northern agression Battle Reenactment (fixed it for em:innocent0)

July 4, 5, & 6, 2008

Two Exciting Battles Each Day
    10,000-15,000 Reenactors Expected
    Massive Pickett's Charge
    One Hundred Cannons
    Over 400 Mounted Cavalry
    145th Commemorative Artillery Barrage
    Live Mortar Fire Demonstrations
    Expansive Living History Village with all-day Activities
    Two Living History Activities Tents with continuous programs
    Large & Diverse Sutler Village
    Enjoy a Variety of Delicious Food and Beverages

Gettysburg re-enactment

BeltBuckle

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2008
    MoCo, MD
    I would really like to see the reenactment of Gettysburg, but theres too many people. And yes it def. was the war of Northern Aggression.

just got back from giving my 9yo son a trip to Forts Sumter and Moultrie. Funny thing, but if I remember right, the first shots (i.e., the initiating aggression) were fired by... somebody help me out here...

ThePhantomPatriot

Politically Incorrect
    just got back from giving my 9yo son a trip to Forts Sumter and Moultrie. Funny thing, but if I remember right, the first shots (i.e., the initiating aggression) were fired by... somebody help me out here...

What state is Fort Sumter located? Help me out... South Carolina. Right where the Union didn't belong. The oppressive feds screwed over the south with taxation/economics, and politics (if thats not aggression, i don't know what is). Prior to Ft. Sumter Lincoln already had state militias preparing for battle.

Splitter

R.I.P.
    Jun 25, 2008
    Westminster, MD
    I went to a huge reenactment in Gettysburg when I was...young. Probably a senior in highschool. Tremendous!

Trying to talk the fiance' into going this year. She likes to shoot, but she isn't big on the noise....yeah, I'm still tryingt to figure that one out too. Maybe if I promise her a pither of sangria at the Gingerbread man......

Splitter

Splitter

R.I.P.
    Jun 25, 2008
    Westminster, MD
    Antietam is my favorite battelfield. You can stand in bloody lane and just about see the blue line cresting the hill. Spooky really.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Gettysburg and we spend a lot of time in the town, but it is very commercialized. Antietam is nearly deserted on many weekends.

Splitter

tpy77

Ultimate Member
    Sep 27, 2007
    P.G. Co.
    Was in the 130th of Gettysburg in 1993, on the site of the set of the film, which I was also in. With gas being what it is, I wonder if they'll have as many show up as they say. They had 8,000 in 1993. I haven't been to a C.W. event since 1994. Have been doing Rev. War and 1812. Not quite as commercialized as C.W.. Did they say anything about admission? I hear that can be around $15-$25, depending on the event and who's putting it on.

Lambo

R.I.P.
    Dec 6, 2005
    Bel Air, Maryland
    Was in the 130th of Gettysburg in 1993, on the site of the set of the film, which I was also in. With gas being what it is, I wonder if they'll have as many show up as they say. They had 8,000 in 1993. I haven't been to a C.W. event since 1994. Have been doing Rev. War and 1812. Not quite as commercialized as C.W.. Did they say anything about admission? I hear that can be around $15-$25, depending on the event and who's putting it on.

Been there when my boys were little and yes Admission is $25.00 for the Grandstands.
    One Cannon Shot was $10.00.........someone has to pay!

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    Best way to cool off in Gettysburg

dht.jpg

Dobbins House Tavern - Especially in the Springhouse with their rum drinks. 3 or 4 of those too quickly and your cooled off but straggering to the parking lot.

Splitter

R.I.P.
    Jun 25, 2008
    Westminster, MD
    LOVE the Dobbin house too. Their food (restaurant) is very good as is the wine (house Pinot). Their bar is cool...and I mean COOL as in cold too...but the food is not what it is upstairs.

Places we like in Gettysburg:
    There is a small shop on the main drag (just up from the diner, across from the Travelodge) that sells fries, but their REAL secret is their breakfasts! Small and unassuming, this place serves some great griddle food.
    We like the Gingerbread Man but the service is sometimes poor and the food is hit or miss. The Sangria mentioned earlier is ALWAYS good.
    SpiritFields is probably our favorite. Great pub food, great beer.
    Pikes is a great place to eat. Period. Huge portions, good wait staff. Excellent mixed drinks most of the time.
    The Blue PArrot is ok. Good food, small portions, and a bit of a young crowd when we have been there. Prices are high IMHO.
    We have been to The Pub once and hated it. Way overpriced and the food was mediocre at best. Slow service but friendly.

YEah, we love going to Gettysburg lol.

Splitter

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    some pics of re-enactments from the last few years. The cannon shots are awesome, if you are close enought, they make the ground shake.

009_Pennsylvania-Battle-of-Gettysburg-Reenactment.jpg

gburg.jpg

battle-of-gettysburg-7.jpg

gettysburg_662432n.jpg

Amer061-402x250.jpg

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    All these talk of the battle made me dig out my copy of "Killer Angels" and probably have to watch Gettysburg on the DVD.

Got to love the performances of Sam Elliot and Jeff Daniels as Budford and Chamberlain.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    All these talk of the battle made me dig out my copy of "Killer Angels" and probably have to watch Gettysburg on the DVD.

Got to love the performances of Sam Elliot and Jeff Daniels as Budford and Chamberlain.

Agreed :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    KD96

Latest threads

Top Bottom